The Student Room Group

UK-EU Free Movement to end by March 2019

Scroll to see replies

Hopefully, the system is fair and does not discriminate against those from countries outside the EU.
Just a minister says and they say a lot of things. Its whatever the deal or no deal says really. That could decide n a system of immigration which would allow the UK to take control but in reality could be free movement if t wanted by default. Nothing to get excited about.
Original post by 999tigger
Just a minister says and they say a lot of things. Its whatever the deal or no deal says really. That could decide n a system of immigration which would allow the UK to take control but in reality could be free movement if t wanted by default. Nothing to get excited about.

Interesting. Do you think it is likely that we will stay in the single market, especially after the General Election?
Original post by JMR2017
Interesting. Do you think it is likely that we will stay in the single market, especially after the General Election?

The EU says no. The UK thinks they dont mean it. Who knows, just wait and see. I suspect the EU cannot allow us to stay in without a significant form of payment otherwise why is everyone else in if they could get all the benefit and none of the burden? At least so far as the net contributors are concerned.

The devil is in the detail and in an article like that its important to read between the lines and understand exactly what they are saying.
Original post by JMR2017

I thought we already decided we are going to leave the single market. With May still as PM I see no way how we won't.
Original post by Londonsfinest
I thought we already decided we are going to leave the single market. With May still as PM I see no way how we won't.

She has no majority though, thus susceptible to the pressure of rebel Tory MPs.
Original post by JMR2017
She has no majority though, thus susceptible to the pressure of rebel Tory MPs.

However, if she backtracks she would face a revolt from the Tory MP's who did support her.
Original post by Londonsfinest
However, if she backtracks she would face a revolt from the Tory MP's who did support her.

Interesting point, however all of opposition plus a few Tory rebels will give pro single market majority.
Original post by JMR2017
Interesting point, however all of opposition plus a few Tory rebels will give pro single market majority.

Corbyn wants to leave the single market. There has already been a vote on it in the commons, most Labour MPs voted to leave. A minority block of Labour Mps lead by Chuka Umunna wanted to remain. Vast majority of commons voted to leave though, Tory and Labour.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Corbyn wants to leave the single market. There has already been a vote on it in the commons, most Labour MPs voted to leave. A minority block of Labour Mps lead by Chuka Umunna wanted to remain. Vast majority of commons voted to leave though, Tory and Labour.

Yeah I guess you are right. To be honest a Brexit in which we remain in the single market is not really a Brexit at all!
Original post by JMR2017

This is only relevant if Parliament does get a this deal or more negotiations vote. If the vote in Parliament is simply this deal or no deal then (which is more likely,) then, either way, we leave the single market.
Original post by JMR2017
Yeah I guess you are right. To be honest a Brexit in which we remain in the single market is not really a Brexit at all!

Yeah I voted to remain, but there is no point in Brexit if we don't leave the single market.
I think there will be transitional arrangements so that free movement will continue for a couple of years. The number of people the government would need to employ to set up a work permit scheme and run it would be such that for a workable scheme you would need EU migrants to fill the jobs, unless you have a transitional period.
Original post by .Kekistan
I'm in no rush to see free movement end, I support Brexit but I don't care all too much about immigration, but I hope from this we can have an immigration system where all people are judged on their skills and merits rather than some get a free pass into the country because they are from certain European nations whereas others with valuable skills may find it hard to get here.

Shadilay!
Original post by barnetlad
I think there will be transitional arrangements so that free movement will continue for a couple of years. The number of people the government would need to employ to set up a work permit scheme and run it would be such that for a workable scheme you would need EU migrants to fill the jobs, unless you have a transitional period.

Oh, the irony. And there was me thinking we would be freed of all that EU red tape! :smile:
It will constitute a huge loss of personal freedom and opportunity for Brits. But if British people want less freedom, they'll get less freedom.

Of course there is that colossal elephant in the room, the Northern Ireland border.
Doesn't bother me one bit, I won't be restricted because I am also an Irish citizen.
Original post by Quantex
It will constitute a huge loss of personal freedom and opportunity for Brits. But if British people want less freedom, they'll get less freedom.

Of course there is that colossal elephant in the room, the Northern Ireland border.

I get the impression that the Northern Ireland border is about the only thing both the EU and UK can agree on easily.
Original post by barnetlad
I get the impression that the Northern Ireland border is about the only thing both the EU and UK can agree on easily.

The consensus seems to be to keep it open but we won't really see an end to freedom of movement when we've got a massive backdoor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending