The Student Room Group

Does it count as a resit?

I have just sat OCR Salters B chemistry A level and am waiting for my results. however i am not expecting to achieve the grade i need for university and am therefore considering entering as a private candidate on AQA A level chemistry and using a private tutor (there are major staffing issues at my college) does this count as a resit or not as it is a seperate qualification?
Original post by rosie10210
I have just sat OCR Salters B chemistry A level and am waiting for my results. however i am not expecting to achieve the grade i need for university and am therefore considering entering as a private candidate on AQA A level chemistry and using a private tutor (there are major staffing issues at my college) does this count as a resit or not as it is a seperate qualification?

You would have to enter the OCR and AQA results in any UCAS application and it would be viewed as retaking the subject by any university that cared about such things.
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
You would have to enter the OCR and AQA results in any UCAS application and it would be viewed as retaking the subject by any university that cared about such things.

Thank you i wasn't sure if it was the case or not. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Is it the new linear spec? If it is your AS grade is a seperate qualification and doesnt count towards your final a level grade I read it in Queen Mary's A level reform 2018 issue.
Reply 4
Original post by leclapped
Is it the new linear spec? If it is your AS grade is a seperate qualification and doesnt count towards your final a level grade I read it in Queen Mary's A level reform 2018 issue.

Yeah its the full A-level on the new spec.
Yeah its the full A-level on the new spec.

Just make sure you complete the whole a level in a year so in total it takes you two years and just to be safe do the same exam board.
Reply 6
Just make sure you complete the whole a level in a year so in total it takes you two years and just to be safe do the same exam board.

i already have done 2 years for a full a-level. this would require a 3rd. thats why I'm wondering if it counts as a resit.
i already have done 2 years for a full a-level. this would require a 3rd. thats why I'm wondering if it counts as a resit.

Then it is a resit. What exactly are you planning to do at uni if you dont mind me asking? Most universitea accept resits depending on what course
Reply 8
Then it is a resit. What exactly are you planning to do at uni if you dont mind me asking? Most universitea accept resits depending on what course

Biomedical Sciences. I'm not sure on the resit policies for all the uni's.
Biomedical Sciences. I'm not sure on the resit policies for all the uni's.

I expect the vast majority are OK with retakes. Check the web sites of places where you would like to apply and if they care they will say so, you can always contact admissions staff through their web sites if you want to be sure. Keep in mind that if you retake with a different examiner your endorsement of practical skills won't count for your new A level.

Quick Reply

Latest