The Student Room Group

accents and choosing a uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
I am a graduate who has studied at a Russell Group uni. Simply because I disagree with you does not give you licence to condescend.

Well, you still mix with locals so it will still be relevant.

I was not being condescending, merely stating my opinion which was not specifically directed at you. If an accent is going to be a factor in your life decisions then I feel sorry for you.
Original post by Cubone-r
Should have noted that if you're exposed to it enough. Even then, a day would be enough for me to get used to someone with a strong accent.

I've lived in and visited places all over the UK so that might be why I find it easy.

In the end I told him and for the last few weeks he slowed down a bit then i got a new teacher the next year but trying to learn algebra when you cant understand what is being said isn't easy I spent six weeks wondering what an anon was until i found out he was saying unknown the lesson really sounded like white noise it was that bad.
I was not being condescending, merely stating my opinion which was not specifically directed at you. If an accent is going to be a factor in your life decisions then I feel sorry for you.

So you feel sorry for me but you're not being condescending here. OK.
So you feel sorry for me but you're not being condescending here. OK.

Yes, you can feel sorry for someone without being condescending. Do you know what feeling sorry for someone means?
Yes, you can feel sorry for someone without being condescending. Do you know what feeling sorry for someone means?

Essentially you're saying I am pitiful, which does not exactly suggest I am your equal.

Stop with the ad-hominem because all it is doing is weakening your point that anyone who disagrees with you is small minded.
Essentially you're saying I am pitiful, which does not exactly suggest I am your equal.

Stop with the ad-hominem because all it is doing is weakening your point that anyone who disagrees with you is small minded.

You are putting words in my mouth now, I never said you were small minded. All I did was ask you a question about whether you knew what feeling sorry for someone meant? You took it to be a personal attack, that's not my problem.
I don't know. Having to listen to the Brummie accent for 3 years ...

Not everyone from Birmingham has a Brummie accent
You are putting words in my mouth now, I never said you were small minded. All I did was ask you a question about whether you knew what feeling sorry for someone meant? You took it to be a personal attack, that's not my problem.

You suggested that anyone who would hold such a view would be out-of-touch applicants. Then questioned my command of the English language.

As I said, you were trying to put me down, unsuccessfully.

Original post by bones-mccoy
Not everyone from Birmingham has a Brummie accent

I never said they did.
(edited 6 years ago)
You suggested that anyone who would hold such a view would be out-of-touch applicants. Then questioned my command of the English language.

As I said, you were trying to put me down, unsuccessfully.

I never said they did.

I said they were out of touch with reality, not out-of-touch applicants. Which if you are worried about different accents while attending university, I would argue is quite a reasonable assumption.

Yes I did, because you seem to be linking the emotion/experience of feeling sorry for someone as condescension. Feeling sorry for someone is when you feel empathy for someone's situation, which I did. I felt sorry for someone because they feel that an accent is a barrier to going to a certain university.
I never said they did.

Your post sort of implied there was only one accent.
I said they were out of touch with reality, not out-of-touch applicants. Which if you are worried about different accents while attending university, I would argue is quite a reasonable assumption.

Yes I did, because you seem to be linking the emotion/experience of feeling sorry for someone as condescension. Feeling sorry for someone is when you feel empathy for someone's situation, which I did. I felt sorry for someone because they feel that an accent is a barrier to going to a certain university.

There is a vast difference between saying "out-of-touch applicants" and "out of touch with reality". To my eyes, they seem to mean the same thing.

As for the feeling sorry thing, to feel sorry that someone could think X implies that your thinking process is superior and your outlook is superior. That is condescending. I don't think your thinking powers are superior, so you can probably imagine my surprise.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Your post sort of implied there was only one accent.

What I said was that studying at a university in Birmingham for three years will expose you to the Brummie accent for three years.

I think that is almost a truistical observation.
There is a vast difference between saying "out-of-touch applicants" and "out of touch with reality". To my eyes, they seem to mean the same thing.

As for the feeling sorry thing, to feel sorry that someone could think X implies that your thinking process is superior and your outlook is superior. That is condescending. I don't think your thinking powers are superior, so you can probably imagine my surprise.

However you want to word it, I still hold my opinion that anyone who worries about different accents at a university is out of touch with reality or has not left their house before.

I don't think my thinking process is superior to anyone else's and have never stated that. You are assuming all of these different ideas that you think I think to form your argument.
What I said was that studying at a university in Birmingham for three years will expose you to the Brummie accent for three years.

I think that is almost a truistical observation.

Not necessarily.
Its an accent mate, you'll get used to it as not all Brummie accents/Scouse accents are full on.
However you want to word it, I still hold my opinion that anyone who worries about different accents at a university is out of touch with reality or has not left their house before.

I don't think my thinking process is superior to anyone else's and have never stated that. You are assuming all of these different ideas that you think I think to form your argument.

I never said you stated it. I said you implied it.

I have left my house, so I must be out of touch with reality. Don't mean to condescend, though!
I never said you stated it. I said you implied it.

I have left my house, so I must be out of touch with reality. Don't mean to condescend, though!

No I said that you are out of touch with reality if you haven't left your house. You are fine.

I have not implied it anywhere, you are reading what you want to read.
No I said that you are out of touch with reality if you haven't left your house. You are fine.

Phew, just when I was starting to worry.
Anyone who rules out a university because of an accent needs to get a grip. I don't understand how people having an accent you don't like could possibly cause you that much distress.

Quick Reply

Latest