The Student Room Group

BCL - Choosing the right options

To BCL offer holders and past students -

There's no recent thread (or I couldn't find one) discussing BCL options and professors. As an offer holder myself, I'd be interested to know how people are approaching/did approach the choice.

In particular, I've heard that some courses require much more work than others, and that it may be wise to go for a combination of heavier and lighter choices. It seems also true that some courses are quintessentially 'BCL courses', e.g. restitution or conflict of laws. Should one include at least one of these, on pain of being constantly asked why he would not pick them during interviews etc.?

Any ideas/comments?
Reply 1
Original post by Caesar95
To BCL offer holders and past students -

There's no recent thread (or I couldn't find one) discussing BCL options and professors. As an offer holder myself, I'd be interested to know how people are approaching/did approach the choice.

In particular, I've heard that some courses require much more work than others, and that it may be wise to go for a combination of heavier and lighter choices. It seems also true that some courses are quintessentially 'BCL courses', e.g. restitution or conflict of laws. Should one include at least one of these, on pain of being constantly asked why he would not pick them during interviews etc.?

Any ideas/comments?

You're on the wrong board for this question. Try here:

https://llm-guide.com/board/uk-ireland/oxford-bcl-subjects-advice-from-current-or-former-students-74424

There's some annoying posturing on that thread, but also some useful information. I assume the interviews you are referring to are for pupillages? I'm no barrister but I can't imagine every set is fixated on restitution and conficts. I'd say pick what you think you'll get the most out of - either because you enjoy it or it's an area you want to practise in (which ought to coincide for the most part).
Reply 2
Original post by Estreth
You're on the wrong board for this question. Try here:

https://llm-guide.com/board/uk-ireland/oxford-bcl-subjects-advice-from-current-or-former-students-74424

There's some annoying posturing on that thread, but also some useful information. I assume the interviews you are referring to are for pupillages? I'm no barrister but I can't imagine every set is fixated on restitution and conficts. I'd say pick what you think you'll get the most out of - either because you enjoy it or it's an area you want to practise in (which ought to coincide for the most part).

Thanks for replying! I had already checked that source, which however looked a bit dated (most of the discussion took place in 2012), and I created a new thread there which however got no replies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending