The Student Room Group

Can I live off £55 a week at university?

So hopefully I'll be off to Nottingham and altogether my student loan is about £7813. I've worked out that if I want to have decent savings at the end of the year I'll have to live off £55 a week. I'm slightly worried about course costs though, considering I'll be studying English and French so I'll need to buy loads of books.

I'm hoping to get a part time job at university but before I do start to, is it possible to live on £55 per week?

Scroll to see replies

You dont need to be buying books lol, use the library
Original post by zaraiqbal18
You dont need to be buying books lol, use the library

What if all the books get taken in a student rush? :tongue:
Reply 3
Yes its possible if you dont go out, dont drink and cook all your meals from home.
Original post by aware1
Yes its possible if you dont go out, dont drink and cook all your meals from home.

Well I'm planning to go out, I do drink and I will be making meals from home..
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

There's something magical called the internet :smile:.
Original post by Gatewaymerge
There's something magical called the internet :smile:.

Really? I had no idea!!
You'll be fine. Do a shop at the end of the week for the next week, and try and get a part-time job if you can.

well at my university, you can put library books on hold so you have reserved your book so you can pick up the book later on :wink:
Reply 9
Are you joking ? £55 is shitloads, if you're not eating out and wasting money excessively you'll live very comfortably.
Original post by zaraiqbal18
well at my university, you can put library books on hold so you have reserved your book so you can pick up the book later on :wink:

I'll just run to the library as soon as I get the reading list then :tongue:
Original post by Woeful
Are you joking ? £55 is shitloads, if you're not eating out and wasting money excessively you'll live very comfortably.

I don't think I'll be eating out loads...
Reply 12
I don't think I'll be eating out loads...

If you want to live the best you can, get your shopping from the cheapest supermarket you can and limit your spending to like £10/£15 pounds on a night out. Do not try and keep up with your peers who have seemingly unlimited funds from the bank of mum and dad, there will definitely be plenty of them at UoN. Also try and limit the amount of times you're out per week. I'm only telling you this because it's not a nice feeling maxing your overdraft because you thought you had enough.
Original post by Woeful
If you want to live the best you can, get your shopping from the cheapest supermarket you can and limit your spending to like £10/£15 pounds on a night out. Do not try and keep up with your peers who have seemingly unlimited funds from the bank of mum and dad, there will definitely be plenty of them at UoN. Also try and limit the amount of times you're out per week. I'm only telling you this because it's not a nice feeling maxing your overdraft because you thought you had enough.

My accommodation is actually near a Lidl and a Sainsburys so I'm lucky there. £15 including alcohol? I'll need to do a lot pre drinking then. I don't really want to hammer my overdraft much no :/ Thanks!
Reply 14
My accommodation is actually near a Lidl and a Sainsburys so I'm lucky there. £15 including alcohol? I'll need to do a lot pre drinking then. I don't really want to hammer my overdraft much no :/ Thanks!

Share a £5 bottle of wine with a friend, buy one or two drinks in the club, get free entry. Many in Uni are under the illusion you need to be absolutely hammered to enjoy clubbing and its true for the most part but you can do it while semi tipsy.
Original post by Woeful
Share a £5 bottle of wine with a friend, buy one or two drinks in the club, get free entry. Many in Uni are under the illusion you need to be absolutely hammered to enjoy clubbing and its true for the most part but you can do it while semi tipsy.

Ahhh Lidl will be my best friend then :smile: I'm not sure if nightclubs in Notts have free entry actually :/
55 is more than double what i will have so i would hope so
Reply 17
Ahhh Lidl will be my best friend then :smile: I'm not sure if nightclubs in Notts have free entry actually :/

My best mates been studying there the past few years, been to pretty much every club they have. Most aside from Stealth, Brickworks, Ocean all have free entry until 1130. That is a bit early though especially if you're getting a cab there.

Don't worry about it :smile: i'm sure my advice will go straight out your head as soon as you arrive at your place and that amazing fresher feeling kicks in, you'll be spending like you've won the lottery, I guarantee it. After a month or two try to settle down though haha that's all, it's easy to forget why you're actually at Uni when you're partying like crazy. Have fun !
i was spending around 70 a week on average
Original post by Woeful
My best mates been studying there the past few years, been to pretty much every club they have. Most aside from Stealth, Brickworks, Ocean all have free entry until 1130. That is a bit early though especially if you're getting a cab there.

Don't worry about it :smile: i'm sure my advice will go straight out your head as soon as you arrive at your place and that amazing fresher feeling kicks in, you'll be spending like you've won the lottery, I guarantee it. After a month or two try to settle down though haha that's all, it's easy to forget why you're actually at Uni when you're partying like crazy. Have fun !

I thought they replaced Ocean with Pryzm? I have a feeling I'll be spending like a month's allowance during Freshers tbh but ah well every student goes through that stage :') Thank you!!

Original post by Angry Bird
i was spending around 70 a week on average

You go Glenn Coco!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending