The Student Room Group

Can I live off £55 a week at university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Well I'm planning to go out, I do drink and I will be making meals from home..

For the few months I lived alone at university, i shopped at lidl and spent about £25 on food, i had about £75 a week but spent less than £60 most weeks, and i was spending a lot of time in primark. However i barely had anything to drink, so i think when you do go out you need to do so on cheap student nights and avoid temptation but only taking cash so you don't use money you shouldn't be spending.
Reply 21
I thought they replaced Ocean with Pryzm? I have a feeling I'll be spending like a month's allowance during Freshers tbh but ah well every student goes through that stage :':wink: Thank you!!

You go Glenn Coco!

That was Oceana :wink: i'm so excited for you tbh haha I wish I could do it all again. I blew £1300 I had saved up within a month and then blew my overdraft by february the following year. So i'm not really in a place to give you advice haha just trying to point out where I went wrong. I'd spend £80 on nights out sometimes, I really though I was the dogs *******s.
Original post by claireestelle
For the few months I lived alone at university, i shopped at lidl and spent about £25 on food, i had about £75 a week but spent less than £60 most weeks, and i was spending a lot of time in primark. However i barely had anything to drink, so i think when you do go out you need to do so on cheap student nights and avoid temptation but only taking cash so you don't use money you shouldn't be spending.

Will do!
Original post by Woeful
That was Oceana :wink: i'm so excited for you tbh haha I wish I could do it all again. I blew £1300 I had saved up within a month and then blew my overdraft by february the following year. So i'm not really in a place to give you advice haha just trying to point out where I went wrong. I'd spend £80 on nights out sometimes, I really though I was the dogs *******s.

Hahaha I'll go nuts at Freshers :smile: Where did you go for uni? Oh lord I hope that doesn't happen to me.. I'm saving up over the summer for uni. Hopefully I wont go as extreme :tongue:
You can find many books free on scribd. It's £5 a month and I found two course books (for my masters) worth £30 each on there!
So hopefully I'll be off to Nottingham and altogether my student loan is about £7813. I've worked out that if I want to have decent savings at the end of the year I'll have to live off £55 a week. I'm slightly worried about course costs though, considering I'll be studying English and French so I'll need to buy loads of books.

I'm hoping to get a part time job at university but before I do start to, is it possible to live on £55 per week?

I got less than that in loans/grants and I was perfectly fine. Although you might have to cut some corners such as stealing ketchup/mayo from the student union, and stealing toilet paper from your university library's toilets (trust me, it saves a tonne).

£55 per week is easily doable. People in our society live on a lot less, sadly.

P.S. I never bought a textbook during my four years at uni, I either got it from the library or downloaded it for free.
(edited 6 years ago)
That's enough for the week! You'll be fine OP
So hopefully I'll be off to Nottingham and altogether my student loan is about £7813. I've worked out that if I want to have decent savings at the end of the year I'll have to live off £55 a week. I'm slightly worried about course costs though, considering I'll be studying English and French so I'll need to buy loads of books.

I'm hoping to get a part time job at university but before I do start to, is it possible to live on £55 per week?

Yeah ofc, just buy frozen foods they last longer. Use amazon and buy like a pack of 40 noodles. You will have a surplus of money for the next weekend especially if you buy your groceries on Wednesday you will be less likely to buy anymore items.
Original post by Cubone-r
I got less than that in loans/grants and I was perfectly fine. Although you might have to cut some corners such as stealing ketchup/mayo from the student union, and stealing toilet paper from your university library's toilets (trust me, it saves a tonne).

£55 per week is easily doable. People in our society live on a lot less, sadly.

P.S. I never bought a textbook during my four years at uni, I either got it from the library or downloaded it for free.

My sister did that too :') So just grab a roll and smuggle it out with your bag?
My sister did that too :':wink: So just grab a roll and smuggle it out with your bag?

Yeah just go into the toilet with your rucksack and go in the cubicle. Take off the plastic thingy and take the roll and put it in your bag. Easy as that! :tongue:

Hey, I'm going to Nottingham in September. I'm currently spending £25 per week on food, I actually eat quite a lot. This is at places like Tesco and Morrisons. I will be doing most my shopping at Lidl as it will be across the road so I aim to spend £20-25 per week on food. With regards to Books have you looked at Amazon Kindle unlimited for books?
Original post by Aidan.reed
Hey, I'm going to Nottingham in September. I'm currently spending £25 per week on food, I actually eat quite a lot. This is at places like Tesco and Morrisons. I will be doing most my shopping at Lidl as it will be across the road so I aim to spend £20-25 per week on food. With regards to Books have you looked at Amazon Kindle unlimited for books?

Where are you staying at Notts?
Where are you staying at Notts?

Raleigh Park :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Raleigh Park :smile:

Ahhh I'm at Albion House. I thought we were in the same place because my hall's near a Lidl.
Ahhh I'm at Albion House. I thought we were in the same place because my hall's near a Lidl.

I think you have a lot more choice you've got Tesco, Sainsbury's, Lidl and I think Iceland all around you?
I think you have a lot more choice you've got Tesco, Sainsbury's, Lidl and I think Iceland all around you?

I knew about Sainsburys and Lidl but I didn't know I had an Iceland and Tescos nearby...
I knew about Sainsburys and Lidl but I didn't know I had an Iceland and Tescos nearby...

The Tesco is hugeeeeeeeeee
The Tesco is hugeeeeeeeeee

Oh my gosh hdhdhagggdgafr8uhdfoiof
Oh my gosh hdhdhagggdgafr8uhdfoiof

I assume you've just had a look? It's open 24 hours too
I assume you've just had a look? It's open 24 hours too

Yaaas ahsdhdhdh

Quick Reply

Latest