The Student Room Group

My depression is getting worse

Summer has come and I thought i'd be happy and relieved, but it's the opposite. I'm 16 years old and have had depression for several years, due to circumstances which I used to severly self harm. I know you probably won't take this seriously and just think i'm having a bad day, but this isn't an event that will bypass and i'll be fine again. My depression has been improving for the past years since I had been seeing a therapist but since summer has started it's all gotten worse. I feel as if I no longer have friends, they only contact me when they're in need of a favour, I will listen to their problems for hours and offer all the advice, but they refuse to take thirty seconds to ask if im okay. My family see me as a burden, yet I try my hardest for them to be proud of me and approve -but it's never enough to satisfy them. They don't believe depression is really a thing and shake it off as me over reacting or being a typical grumpy teenager. They are constantly comparing me to other people my age. I'm growing to hate myself more and more, physically and emotionally. I'm sick of the remarks that my family are constantly making about my weight, yet when I try to diet and exercise they mock me. The visits to my therapist and doctor have been discontinued, my friends are now strangers, and my family are just people that I live under the same roof with. For the past 5 weeks I have been crying myself to sleep every single night and finally fall asleep at 5am. Getting out of bed is an obstacle for me, I feel so empty and useless. I have noone to rely on and feel hopeless. I am so sick and tired of being depressed, i'm sick and tired of not being able to do anything for myself, i'm sick of not being able to satisfy or please anyone when i'm trying my best. This isn't a phase of me being sad. This is an illness which is ruining me inside and out, but I can't do anything about it.
Reply 1
You can provide your parents with articles on depression or get your former psychotherapeutist to convince your parents something serious is troubling you. Find someone to talk to, a hotline operator or your good friends and share your problems with them.
Original post by Crux_
You can provide your parents with articles on depression or get your former psychotherapeutist to convince your parents something serious is troubling you. Find someone to talk to, a hotline operator or your good friends and share your problems with them.

Thank you so much, have a nice day. (:
I'm sorry that you're going thorugh this. You are not a burden, and it's not your fault that you're feeling like this. I think that a visit to the GP is in order to see how they can help you. Good luck
I'm so sorry. If it makes you feel better I'm exactly the same, I actually teared up a bit when I read this. I'm 18 and have struggled throughout my teenage years and I haven't seen anyone apart from when I was in school. I hope everything works out regardless^^ my sister is always bugging me about doing yoga cause apparently that helps but I haven't got round to it myself haha - she's a bit of a hippie lol
Original post by Potato456
I'm sorry that you're going thorugh this. You are not a burden, and it's not your fault that you're feeling like this. I think that a visit to the GP is in order to see how they can help you. Good luck
Thank you very much, I really appreciate this and i'll make sure to make a visit to my GP soon (: have a lovely day
Original post by OliviaRose98!
I'm so sorry. If it makes you feel better I'm exactly the same, I actually teared up a bit when I read this. I'm 18 and have struggled throughout my teenage years and I haven't seen anyone apart from when I was in school. I hope everything works out regardless^^ my sister is always bugging me about doing yoga cause apparently that helps but I haven't got round to it myself haha - she's a bit of a hippie lol
Haha i'm not the most flexible but i'll give it a try! I really hope everything works out for you in the future because we still have plenty of time to experiance (: hope you feel better soon and everything will be okay. Have a good day and thank you for sharing this with me, it's comforting to know i'm not alone
Original post by anonymous2354
Haha i'm not the most flexible but i'll give it a try! I really hope everything works out for you in the future because we still have plenty of time to experiance (: hope you feel better soon and everything will be okay. Have a good day and thank you for sharing this with me, it's comforting to know i'm not alone

no problem hun :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending