The Student Room Group

Best way to pay for private lanlord room, deposit,rent?

What is the best way to pay deposit and rent to a private landlord, cash,cheque?? Thanks for your help
Original post by paulcompaq
What is the best way to pay deposit and rent to a private landlord, cash,cheque?? Thanks for your help

You should ensure that your deposit goes into some kind of safe deposit scheme so that it is protected and the landlord cannot fiddle with it or do anything dodgy. If your landlord insists you pay in cash/cheque or whatever and has no safe deposit scheme in place then they are most likely shifty and you should get out of there.

I would never pay in cash as there would be no record of the transaction and you are unlikely to get a receipt.
Original post by Cubone-r
You should ensure that your deposit goes into some kind of safe deposit scheme so that it is protected and the landlord cannot fiddle with it or do anything dodgy. If your landlord insists you pay in cash/cheque or whatever and has no safe deposit scheme in place then they are most likely shifty and you should get out of there.

I would never pay in cash as there would be no record of the transaction and you are unlikely to get a receipt.

Thanks for your help :smile:
what is the procedure for paying into a safe deposit scheme do I give the money to the landlord and he pays it in or he directs me somewhere ?
Thanks for your help :smile:
what is the procedure for paying into a safe deposit scheme do I give the money to the landlord and he pays it in or he directs me somewhere ?

The landlord should explain this to you before you pay the deposit and what happens to it. I'd ask about it before paying anything. What usually you do is pay the landlord and he will put it in a safe deposit scheme and you should get an email from the safe deposit company that they have your money safe and you'll be given a reference number etc.. and it'll be there for the duration of your tenancy.
The landlord should explain this to you before you pay the deposit and what happens to it. I'd ask about it before paying anything. What usually you do is pay the landlord and he will put it in a safe deposit scheme and you should get an email from the safe deposit company that they have your money safe and you'll be given a reference number etc.. and it'll be there for the duration of your tenancy.

What is the best way to pay them the deposit and hope they put it in a protection scheme? not cash, cheque from the bank? and first month's rent in cash?
What is the best way to pay them the deposit and hope they put it in a protection scheme? not cash, cheque from the bank? and first month's rent in cash?

I usually pay with my debit card via a direct bank transfer. Never pay in cash.
I usually pay with my debit card via a direct bank transfer. Never pay in cash.

You have been great help thank you :smile:
You have been great help thank you :smile:

Please don't pay anything in cash. You should have a record of everything which has been paid. Your landlord should give you details of your deposit protection scheme and if they don't you can report them to the council.

Quick Reply

Latest