The Student Room Group

Quitting NCS?

Hey guys, I'm currently in my first week of NCS. I'm really not enjoying it. I'm really misrable, and I don't want to be here. I like my group, but I don't have anything in common with any of them. I'm kind of just there, I don't really talk to anyone or anything. They are nice, and they ask me if I'm okay, but I don't have anything to contribute to their conversations. The activities are okay, but like I said, I'm not really enjoying myself. Shall I quit? I have things to put on my personal statement, and I've done things like DofE, so it's not really an issue. I just don't want to spend 3 weeks of my 6 week summer holiday being miserable. I didn't think I would have such a problem, I don't usually have an issue with my comfort zone or anything, but this is making me feel really horrible. Thoughts? Thanks guys
These things usually end up getting better, coincidentally as soon as you start thinking about leaving - you suddenly do something you really enjoy the next day (or at least what I've found in things). If you REALLY can't face it though, talk to one of the instructors and tell them you want to leave. Stick at it for a few more days at least, and see if anything changes
Stay, things will generally get better like the person said above. At least your comfortable with these people and they care about you. It will get better, just enjoy yourself.
Original post by That'sGreat
These things usually end up getting better, coincidentally as soon as you start thinking about leaving - you suddenly do something you really enjoy the next day (or at least what I've found in things). If you REALLY can't face it though, talk to one of the instructors and tell them you want to leave. Stick at it for a few more days at least, and see if anything changes

Yea, I'll stick with it for longer. Thanks for the advice.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Stay, things will generally get better like the person said above. At least your comfortable with these people and they care about you. It will get better, just enjoy yourself.

Thanks, I'll try
Original post by yaspaksoy
Hey guys, I'm currently in my first week of NCS. I'm really not enjoying it. I'm really misrable, and I don't want to be here. I like my group, but I don't have anything in common with any of them. I'm kind of just there, I don't really talk to anyone or anything. They are nice, and they ask me if I'm okay, but I don't have anything to contribute to their conversations. The activities are okay, but like I said, I'm not really enjoying myself. Shall I quit? I have things to put on my personal statement, and I've done things like DofE, so it's not really an issue. I just don't want to spend 3 weeks of my 6 week summer holiday being miserable. I didn't think I would have such a problem, I don't usually have an issue with my comfort zone or anything, but this is making me feel really horrible. Thoughts? Thanks guys

I can't personally talk because I didn't do it (mainly because of the first week, I have some issues that makes it really hard to do some of the physical stuff and I don't cope well under stress) but there is only supposed to be one week of the outdoors section, right? If it's the situation that's causing problems, then I'd try and pull through until next week, and maybe things would be easier in a different setting, and you'd be doing more academic stuff anyway.

If it's the people, or you really aren't feeling okay, I'd try speaking to someone (easier said than done, I know, but if you tell someone who's in charge/looking after you that you're struggling to connect with your group, maybe that will help? Or talk about how you aren't enjoying your activities, because as you said, you don't want to spend so much of your holiday upset). If that doesn't work or doesn't make you feel any better about the situation, I'd then think about if it would be better for you to leave. It's your decision, after all.

I would definitely speak to them before you decide you want to leave, though, as not only will you speaking to them beforehand make them aware that you aren't doing okay, but they'll be more in the loop if you do decide to leave.

Good luck, and I hope you'll do okay no matter what you decide :smile:
Thanks, I'll try

Also your wave is probably about 100+ people. You don't have to restrict yourself to just your group. Maybe try looking for people with similar interests.
People I made friends with on my ncs who I'm still in contact with are actually from outside my group

lol you probably can't even use it for your personal statement to show much. I don't know anybody that has mentioned ncs yet they true to pretend that it's so useful. It's just something to enjoy. Maybe stay tomorrow and speak to your parents about it on the weekend. If you really don't like it then don't turn up next week.
Original post by computernerd1001
I can't personally talk because I didn't do it (mainly because of the first week, I have some issues that makes it really hard to do some of the physical stuff and I don't cope well under stress) but there is only supposed to be one week of the outdoors section, right? If it's the situation that's causing problems, then I'd try and pull through until next week, and maybe things would be easier in a different setting, and you'd be doing more academic stuff anyway.

If it's the people, or you really aren't feeling okay, I'd try speaking to someone (easier said than done, I know, but if you tell someone who's in charge/looking after you that you're struggling to connect with your group, maybe that will help? Or talk about how you aren't enjoying your activities, because as you said, you don't want to spend so much of your holiday upset). If that doesn't work or doesn't make you feel any better about the situation, I'd then think about if it would be better for you to leave. It's your decision, after all.

I would definitely speak to them before you decide you want to leave, though, as not only will you speaking to them beforehand make them aware that you aren't doing okay, but they'll be more in the loop if you do decide to leave.

Good luck, and I hope you'll do okay no matter what you decide :smile:

Thank you do much! I've already told my senior manager that I've been having a hard time so he's been ch cling up on me. He said it can be a little hard to connect with people straight away, so I'm waiting it out a little, I'm at least going to do the first week.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
lol you probably can't even use it for your personal statement to show much. I don't know anybody that has mentioned ncs yet they true to pretend that it's so useful. It's just something to enjoy. Maybe stay tomorrow and speak to your parents about it on the weekend. If you really don't like it then don't turn up next week.

Yea I think that's what I'm going to do thanks.
Original post by goldstarfish101
Also your wave is probably about 100+ people. You don't have to restrict yourself to just your group. Maybe try looking for people with similar interests.
People I made friends with on my ncs who I'm still in contact with are actually from outside my group

I'm kinda socially awkward and an introvert, so it's a little difficult for me but I'll definitely try, thanks.
Thank you do much! I've already told my senior manager that I've been having a hard time so he's been ch cling up on me. He said it can be a little hard to connect with people straight away, so I'm waiting it out a little, I'm at least going to do the first week.

Good for you! It's making the first step and trying to fix it rather than just going 'I don't like it' (like some people would) that's the hardest. It sounds like you're trying to do what you think is best, and persevering, so no one can say you didn't try, even if you find out that it isn't for you.

The first week really did sound hard though, so it shows a lot about your character to do it in the first place, as many people don't/won't. Good luck, I hope the rest of the week (and if you stay on, the next few weeks) go well for you! :smile:
Reply 12
I'd say wait it out a bit yet, because there's a lot more than what you experience in the first week.

By the way, don't feel like you have to spend your time doing stuff like NCS or DOFE in order to improve your personal statement. Because quit frankly, it won't make much of a difference. A university won't choose someone over someone else just because they've done something like this.

NCS is a great experience though. However, if you don't find yourself enjoying it anymore, then it is fine to have a word with your instructor. I'm sure they will understand :smile:
It only gets worse. The first couple of weeks I found decent. Honestly, if you don't like it I just wouldn't return..

Quit. You have just said that you are socially awkward. unfortunately kids are more nasty as they were at my time.

I was the first ever participant in the NCS and i became a Senior mentor/Leader last year. Trust me leave because the staff will do everything to stop you to go if you leave sooner. I'm an introvert and i'm now trying to shift to become a recluse for life.

I regret both my NCS experiences as a participant and mentor (i must have been drunk when i applied to become a senior mentor lol)
Original post by Baaah
I'd say wait it out a bit yet, because there's a lot more than what you experience in the first week.

By the way, don't feel like you have to spend your time doing stuff like NCS or DOFE in order to improve your personal statement. Because quit frankly, it won't make much of a difference. A university won't choose someone over someone else just because they've done something like this.

NCS is a great experience though. However, if you don't find yourself enjoying it anymore, then it is fine to have a word with your instructor. I'm sure they will understand :smile:

I'm just going to try getting through the first week. I go home on Sunday, if I still don't like it than I'm just going to quit.
Original post by chocolate dildo
yeah leave

Original post by Quiet Benin
Quit. You have just said that you are socially awkward. unfortunately kids are more nasty as they were at my time.

I was the first ever participant in the NCS and i became a Senior mentor/Leader last year. Trust me leave because the staff will do everything to stop you to go if you leave sooner. I'm an introvert and i'm now trying to shift to become a recluse for life.

I regret both my NCS experiences as a participant and mentor (i must have been drunk when i applied to become a senior mentor lol)

Original post by FailedMyMocks
It only gets worse. The first couple of weeks I found decent. Honestly, if you don't like it I just wouldn't return..

I think I'm probably just not return after week one. Thanks guys!
I think I'm probably just not return after week one. Thanks guys!

What happened? Im going august 5th and im scared after reading this lmao
I did NCS and though of giving it up a few times, even before it started! I stuck it out though and looking back on it, I am glad I did.
I didn't have the best time and I look back at somethings and think "Gosh, why didn't I just drop out".
But having completed it, I can now say I am glad I didn't drop out....I made some good memories and can laugh at some of the things I did. Nobody enjoys every minute of it and I certainly didn't get on with the people there, but I did it for me.
Don't drop out is my advice
Ncs is a wild trip, and I wanted to quit on more than one occasion... But honestly I realised how much I actually enjoyed the experience looking back on it. I think the main part of why I hated it so much was cause I couldn't mesh well with my group in the first week however they really came through in the second week. Also the food was stupidly **** too which downgraded the experience for me too but I got to cook for myself in the second week so that was also okay.. If you can get through ;; I think you should definitely stick with it and carry on because I really liked it. However that's up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending