The Student Room Group

Sad about going to Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Story time - when I was a fresher at Bristol back in 2010, I came out of Lizard Lounge steaming drunk and ran into none other than Nick Knowles from DIY SOS. I think it was produced at the BBC studios on Whiteladies Road because you'd see the fleet of vans parked there.

Anyway, from what I very hazily recall we shared a drunken, grunted conversation. I seem to remember he was eating some chips from Jason Donervan and wasn't too pleased to be disturbed.

I heard someone claim that they saw Bear Grylls having a cigarette in the smoking area of Bunker, but I reckon that's a lie.

Anyway, Bristol is fun.
I am not a Bristol student, but I do know people who are there and have been their myself. I have to be honest, I didn't like it. My friend did some trial lectures there for science subjects and the lady running it was quite rude and she didn't enjoy the experience. I went on an open day and really didn't like it, the only university I visited and would firmly say I wouldn't apply. The university is so spread out across the city, endless walking and the talks I went to were repetitive and didn't engage me in the slightest. I am not a huge fan of the city to be honest and some of the accommodation we saw was grotty and the worst I have seen at any uni. My teacher puts students off from applying there saying it is "overrated" and I tend to agree.

Having said that Bristol does have a good reputation, if that is what you are looking for. I know some people would absolutely love to go there! You never know perhaps you will like it.

Good luck with your results
Reply 62
Bristol? lol I'd be sad too.
Bristol is very good within the UK, especially for Law.

If, however, you are planning to develop an international legal career (i.e. finance, trade, diplomacy) then KCL / Other top London university may give you an edge at the beginning.

A 1st from Bristol is still > than 2:1 from KCL in Law if you're going for training contracts in the UK.
Reply 64
Original post by Authoritarian

If, however, you are planning to develop an international legal career (i.e. finance, trade, diplomacy) then KCL / Other top London university may give you an edge at the beginning.

A 1st from Bristol is still > than 2:1 from KCL in Law if you're going for training contracts in the UK.

That's not quite true. It would only be true for LSE, and less so UCL.

KCL is if anything less advantageous for finance careers. The London factor though is beneficial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Fergo
That's not quite true. It would only be true for LSE, and less so UCL.

KCL is if anything less advantageous for finance careers. The London factor though is beneficial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

KCL is highly regarded in continental Europe, and by 'finance' I meant legal/compliance careers, such as working on MiFiD II with Eurex clearing and their clients, but I agree with you on LSE.
Original post by Authoritarian

This idea that internationally Bristol and non-London have no presence is misguided. There are so many Bristol grads from Singapore or HK that there is a complete awareness amongst international recruiters of the good non-London unis.
Original post by _Fergo
I'm talking specifically about law, not other courses, and obviously I do not have any studying experiences at KCL (in which Bristol is not weaker in terms of reputation).

It's about organisation, tutors, course content, suitability of examinations, realistic expectations and much more. Bristol -to me!- does not strike the perfect balance. It's just an opinion, others may have loved it.

Do you reckon you would have been more satisfied with how all this is dealt with at Oxford for law instead? Or another more highly ranked uni?
Reply 68
Original post by Shadowbinder7
Do you reckon you would have been more satisfied with how all this is dealt with at Oxford for law instead? Or another more highly ranked uni?

Well, I can never be sure tbh. I doubt it would have been better at ie LSE. I guess at Oxford the difficulty of the exams would be backed by its rep, and the 1-1 or 2-1 tutoring system would be great.
I went to Bristol for the open day last year and I loved it. Beautiful uni and a great city in general. I was pretty gutted when I missed the English requirement by a grade but you'd love Bristol.
Original post by _Fergo
Well, I can never be sure tbh. I doubt it would have been better at ie LSE. I guess at Oxford the difficulty of the exams would be backed by its rep, and the 1-1 or 2-1 tutoring system would be great.

You're a big boy now. You will get over missing LSE offer eventually.
Reply 71
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
You're a big boy now. You will get over missing LSE offer eventually.

I didn't miss my offer. I exceeded it. My school missed a crucial deadline. Besides, the only thing I regret is failing my Oxford interview. LSE is not enough to make me nostalgic or whatever.

This is irrelevant though so not sure why you're bringing it up.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by _Fergo
I didn't miss my offer. I exceeded it. My school missed a crucial deadline. Besides, the only thing I regret is failing my Oxford interview. LSE is not enough to make me nostalgic or whatever.

This is irrelevant though so not sure why you're bringing it up.

It always seems as if you're overall not happy with the Bristol situation, which I assumed stemmed from the LSE mix up. I like Bristol, but ...

However, as you say, you're on for a 1st and no one is going to pay a blind bit of notice to whether it's from Bristol or LSE. That goes both to you and OP.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
It always seems as if you're overall not happy with the Bristol situation, which I assumed stemmed from the LSE mix up. I like Bristol, but ...

However, as you say, you're on for a 1st and no one is going to pay a blind bit of notice to whether it's from Bristol or LSE. That goes both to you and OP.

That was just a personal decision with regards to my studying experience. I've obviously invested a hell of a lot of time into this, so it's just a reflection of it all.

Indeed, hence why I'm not bitter about it.
I'm studying at Bristol! Geog not law though. Love the uni + the city - there's always a lot going on, but not so much that it's overwhelming. V political if that's your thing, lots of arts + culture, independent cafes + shops, amazing nightlife!! Amazing architecture too - especially the law/earth sci/geog library, inside its all old wooden furniture and airy rooms with huge windows. Also academically Bristol has a great rep (on par with, or dare I say better than, KCL) and all the lawyers I know love the course - apparently there's a really good range of modules to choose from. It can be v academically intense at times (across the uni tbh, not just in law) but it's v much a work-hard-play-hard sort of thing. If you have any more specific questions/things you want me to talk about just ask! Tbh I'm sure you'll have a great time at either uni - I do hope you meet your firm offer, but if you do end up going to Bristol it's really not a loss imo.
(edited 6 years ago)
We'll @teenhorrorstory you visited on a day with a horrid weather forecast. Did you manage to see past the rain to a university that you could grow to love?
Original post by Crumpet1
We'll @teenhorrorstory you visited on a day with a horrid weather forecast. Did you manage to see past the rain to a university that you could grow to love?

Yes absolutely!! Bristol is lovely
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Yes absolutely!! Bristol is lovely

That's great! Just a week to go until you know one way or the other.
Reply 78
Bristol is great!! Honestly, it's the place to be for young people! I don't know anyone who doesn't want to be there! All my friends at others uni's always say they wished they'd have picked Bristol! It's so cool there, people are great, food is amazing, music is class and you aren't far from relaxation at any time -- honestly --- don't be scared --- Briz is the place to be...

I know of a lot of new students which are hoping to get onto the same course as you on this facebook group -- join and have a chat with them! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1279532432142402/
Got A*AB. Going to Bristol:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest