The Student Room Group

Not doing well in my final year of uni and failing. How can I solve this?

I am a student of Architecture in the UK still completing her undergraduate degree.
My first year of university went relatively well, regarding that I needed time to adjust to a new place and environment as well as work part time.
I was determined to work hard in my second and third year in order to achieve high results as the industry is highly competitive. The first semester went really well, I was passionate about the work I was doing and feeling that I was in my element.
Then depression hit me. My mood was getting worse every day, I found it hard to concentrate. The tutors advised me to see the counsellor but I didn't do it because I thought I could get better very soon. Eventually I managed to complete all the modules with marks at 50-68%.
However, I was not getting any better. My mood was low and my family back home had issues which added more stress to my university life. The third year came, and I was still not getting any help. I passed the first semester with 60-70%.
I got much worse in the second semester. I could not focus on the simplest tasks and did not finish any work on time. I did not submit one of the assignments and I failed another one, then did not re-submit. Then I failed the year.
Despite my tutor's suggestion and support, I did not apply for Mitigating Circumstances on time. Also, I did not see the counsellor or a psychiatrist until very lately (June/July) to get help.

Now I feel that my money/career has been wasted. The portfolio of work as well as written work which I have produced does not reflect my true abilities, nor is it of good quality. I can repeat the final semester next year so there is a chance of improving the portfolio, however my grade will be capped at 40% which can make it hard to get into Master's.

I have received a diagnosis of bipolar disorder and I think I may have a borderline personality disorder. However, looking at my lifestyle over the years, I think I can create a structure which helps me stay motivated. Plus, I am going to take meds and possibly do a therapy.

I know it can come across as being lazy and possibly that's how the academic environment would see me.

Now I really care about my work and career. I see where I made mistakes. I really need to get a second chance.

Has anyone repeated their final year? My case is almost impossible as I have submitted all the assignments which means I was fit to sit. I was also not seeing a counsellor at the right time (1,5 years ago) to focus on recovery or submit an MC claim. Ideally, I would repeat 1,5 year but I don't think I have ever heard of such case..

If I can forget about repeating, what could be other possibilities? The course is really something I enjoy, I was just not dealing with my mental health well...
Original post by Anonymous
I am a student of Architecture in the UK still completing her undergraduate degree.
My first year of university went relatively well, regarding that I needed time to adjust to a new place and environment as well as work part time.
I was determined to work hard in my second and third year in order to achieve high results as the industry is highly competitive. The first semester went really well, I was passionate about the work I was doing and feeling that I was in my element.
Then depression hit me. My mood was getting worse every day, I found it hard to concentrate. The tutors advised me to see the counsellor but I didn't do it because I thought I could get better very soon. Eventually I managed to complete all the modules with marks at 50-68%.
However, I was not getting any better. My mood was low and my family back home had issues which added more stress to my university life. The third year came, and I was still not getting any help. I passed the first semester with 60-70%.
I got much worse in the second semester. I could not focus on the simplest tasks and did not finish any work on time. I did not submit one of the assignments and I failed another one, then did not re-submit. Then I failed the year.
Despite my tutor's suggestion and support, I did not apply for Mitigating Circumstances on time. Also, I did not see the counsellor or a psychiatrist until very lately (June/July) to get help.

Now I feel that my money/career has been wasted. The portfolio of work as well as written work which I have produced does not reflect my true abilities, nor is it of good quality. I can repeat the final semester next year so there is a chance of improving the portfolio, however my grade will be capped at 40% which can make it hard to get into Master's.

I have received a diagnosis of bipolar disorder and I think I may have a borderline personality disorder. However, looking at my lifestyle over the years, I think I can create a structure which helps me stay motivated. Plus, I am going to take meds and possibly do a therapy.

I know it can come across as being lazy and possibly that's how the academic environment would see me.

Now I really care about my work and career. I see where I made mistakes. I really need to get a second chance.

Has anyone repeated their final year? My case is almost impossible as I have submitted all the assignments which means I was fit to sit. I was also not seeing a counsellor at the right time (1,5 years ago) to focus on recovery or submit an MC claim. Ideally, I would repeat 1,5 year but I don't think I have ever heard of such case..

If I can forget about repeating, what could be other possibilities? The course is really something I enjoy, I was just not dealing with my mental health well...

As you said you were fit to sit the assignments which is going to make it difficult. I think your options are either take whatever grade you get and redo your entire degree (which obviously you'd have to fund yourself) or just take the final grade and do a masters later down the line when you've built up some experience.

Once of the issues is you were advised to apply for MC but didn't...so that would make the uni question if you actually cared or not.

I'd speak to your students Union and see what they advise but I don't think you'd be allowed to resit as you've technically passed

Quick Reply

Latest