The Student Room Group

How Hard Is the NPLQ

Hey, I'm going to be doing the NPLQ (National Pool Lifeguard Qualifiaction) next week and I was wondering if anyone with experience could tell me how hard the course is physically. In particular, what timed swims do you have to be able to do? I used to swim for a club about 7-8 months ago but since then I've only gone to the gym and done next to no cardio, so I'm really just hoping there aren't timed swims that are 8 lengths long or anything.
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Avarti
Hey, I'm going to be doing the NPLQ (National Pool Lifeguard Qualifiaction) next week and I was wondering if anyone with experience could tell me how hard the course is physically. In particular, what timed swims do you have to be able to do? I used to swim for a club about 7-8 months ago but since then I've only gone to the gym and done next to no cardio, so I'm really just hoping there aren't timed swims that are 8 lengths long or anything.
Thanks!

Omg same I literally just created an account to ask that ahah I'm doing the same one next week as well but my friend did it this week and said its not that hard but there's a lot of swimming
Original post by Daisy1123
Omg same I literally just created an account to ask that ahah I'm doing the same one next week as well but my friend did it this week and said its not that hard but there's a lot of swimming

Ah right it's good to know there are people in the same boat as me, if you don't mind me asking whereabouts are you doing your course?
Reply 3
Original post by Avarti
Ah right it's good to know there are people in the same boat as me, if you don't mind me asking whereabouts are you doing your course?

Cheltenham, how about you?
Cheltenham, how about you?

Ah right cool. I'm doing mine at Louth in lincolnshire
Reply 5
Original post by Avarti
Ah right cool. I'm doing mine at Louth in lincolnshire

Aw thought we might be doing it at the same place, have fun with yours and also apparently the only timed swim is the 50m one in under 60secs. Also I don't know how to dive do you think that matters ?
Aw thought we might be doing it at the same place, have fun with yours and also apparently the only timed swim is the 50m one in under 60secs. Also I don't know how to dive do you think that matters ?

Yeah, I've already had to do that timed swim to check I can actually swim before doing the course. Before I could put down the deposit they had to assess me, all I had to do was dive into the pool, do 50m in 60 seconds, tread water for 30 seconds and do 4 lengths continously. It's pretty easy I went to the gym for an hour an hour before the assesment and I was fine. I've done a bit of research and from what I've read all the timed swims are to do with lufesaving skills as opposed to doing a certain number of lengths in a set time.
Reply 7
Original post by Avarti
Yeah, I've already had to do that timed swim to check I can actually swim before doing the course. Before I could put down the deposit they had to assess me, all I had to do was dive into the pool, do 50m in 60 seconds, tread water for 30 seconds and do 4 lengths continously. It's pretty easy I went to the gym for an hour an hour before the assesment and I was fine. I've done a bit of research and from what I've read all the timed swims are to do with lufesaving skills as opposed to doing a certain number of lengths in a set time.

Oh that's more clever than my course they made us pay last month and we don't get assessed till Monday which is when the course starts! I'm a little worried be chase for ours yiu have to be able to retrieve a rescue mannequin from the deepest part of the pool firs attempt and if you can't th you can't do the course and don't get your money back 😂 I think I'm alright with all the others and I'll probably be able to just wing th diving bits hopefully
Oh that's more clever than my course they made us pay last month and we don't get assessed till Monday which is when the course starts! I'm a little worried be chase for ours yiu have to be able to retrieve a rescue mannequin from the deepest part of the pool firs attempt and if you can't th you can't do the course and don't get your money back 😂 I think I'm alright with all the others and I'll probably be able to just wing th diving bits hopefully

I used to do survive and save and we often had to try and retrieve a mannequin from the bottom of the pool and honestly it's way easier than you think. And also, when I did my assement the guy told me to either DIVE or JUMP in so diving into the pool isn't essential, but you do have to be able to do a surface dive to get a mannequin which isn't hard at all. Maybe you could watch a video or get some practice in before the course?
Reply 9
Original post by Avarti
I used to do survive and save and we often had to try and retrieve a mannequin from the bottom of the pool and honestly it's way easier than you think. And also, when I did my assement the guy told me to either DIVE or JUMP in so diving into the pool isn't essential, but you do have to be able to do a surface dive to get a mannequin which isn't hard at all. Maybe you could watch a video or get some practice in before the course?

Ah okay that's good! Yeah I can surface dive and I'm going swimming tomorrow to try and practice. Thanks though that's made me slightly less worried about it ! Hope both our courses are fun.
Original post by Avarti
Thanks!

I just passed my nplq. I am a very average swimmer. I never swam professionally. I just finished all my lessons and thats about it. and passed well. I'm not completely physically fit either. you will be fine. examiners are lenient too.
On the pre requisites it says be able to dive/jump. Are you sure it's ok if you can't dive into the water but can confidently jump?
Original post by denijeshot
I just passed my nplq. I am a very average swimmer. I never swam professionally. I just finished all my lessons and thats about it. and passed well. I'm not completely physically fit either. you will be fine. examiners are lenient too.

Sorry if this is a inconvenience but could you explain as much as you can what was in your assessment i have my course in a week and just want to be a little prepared
Original post by Avarti
Thanks!

It really isn't hard. The people want you to pass and in most cases give hints to the answers (on the final test day). The thing I was most afraid about was the minute swim, then the 45 second one too. It honestly isn't very difficult.

There is a person at my pool who got something like 1 minute 50 in their timed swim and still passed. Don't stress pal.
What are the time swims like? A minute and 5 seconds and a 45 seconds one? Sounds hard to me. I did a practice and I was 3 seconds out on the minute one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending