The Student Room Group

Clearing for medicine?

Is there the oppourtunity to go through clearing when applying to uni on results day for medicine ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AKDbbb
Is there the oppourtunity to go through clearing when applying to uni on results day for medicine ?

It has happened in the past, but it is not something to bank on at all.
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
It has happened in the past, but it is not something to bank on at all.

How would u know which unis have gone into clearing?
Reply 3
It has rarely happened in the past, probably because most med schools have waiting lists and applicants on those will probably be offered a place before the university will put the course into Clearing on UCAS. The only Med course that I saw in Clearing was at Buckingham, which is a private universty with insane fees for Medicine.

Maybe look into a course with 'easier' entry requirements and look into Grad Medicine? Such courses would be Biochemistry, Biomedical Science, Human Biology, Pharmacy even. I think all of these choices and anything similar will set you up well for Med School if you have your heart set on it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Last year there were soo many med schools in clearing. To be honest I think this year will be the same. Might be because NHS is still a pile of **** and will get worse, and new A level specs etc...
Reply 5
Original post by 06moca1
Last year there were soo many med schools in clearing.

There wasn't many, if any besides Buckingham, in clearing last year. What's your source?
Original post by 06moca1
Last year there were soo many med schools in clearing. To be honest I think this year will be the same. Might be because NHS is still a pile of **** and will get worse, and new A level specs etc...

I believe last year the non-private medical school with Clearing spaces for home students was SGUL. Which is only one medical school.

It has happened before, rarely, and it's not something to bank on at all.
Reply 7
Original post by TJay.
There wasn't many, if any besides Buckingham, in clearing last year. What's your source?

Source? I was an applicant who failed to get in last year and I was keeping track. A few of the GAMSAT unis (St georges etc) and Sheffield was in clearing. Belfast went way below their norm on their ranking list. A lot of my other friends got into med school through the waiting list after interview.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Hey all!
Goodluck for results day! Just incase you don't get the grade requirement you need to study medicine or dentistry, you can always apply to study in Europe, the course is just as good as UK and even better because you get more clinical contact and you can come back to work in UK without doing any PLAB test because the unis are GMC/GDC certified. I'm currently studying in a university in Bulgaria and there are hundreds of other British students there as well so if you have any questions feel free to pm me :smile:
St. George's UoL had medicine in clearing last year, but their switchboard was bedlam when people realised this.

SOURCE: https://www.sgul.ac.uk/news/news-archive/medicine-clearing-first-time
Original post by 06moca1
Source? I was an applicant who failed to get in last year and I was keeping track. A few of the GAMSAT unis (St georges etc) and Sheffield was in clearing. Belfast went way below their norm on their ranking list. A lot of my other friends got into med school through the waiting list after interview.

Sheffield was not in clearing last year. They lost a significant number of offer holders as they didn't meet the grades so they were arranging interviews for those who had just missed one previously (I think you needed to have already been an applicant there to be considered). I think Manchester had the same predicament.
Original post by Blue_Cow
St. George's UoL had medicine in clearing last year, but their switchboard was bedlam when people realised this.

SOURCE: https://www.sgul.ac.uk/news/news-archive/medicine-clearing-first-time

Yes and SGUL are expecting again to be in clearing this year too!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by studentsixth
Sheffield was not in clearing last year. They lost a significant number of offer holders as they didn't meet the grades so they were arranging interviews for those who had just missed one previously (I think you needed to have already been an applicant there to be considered). I think Manchester had the same predicament.

Yes and SGUL are expecting again to be in clearing this year too!

Again? The people manning the switchboards are going to go insane!
Original post by AKDbbb

Yes but to put it into perspective. St George's had around 1,800 ring ins with 46 applicants per place. This is well over the 8-9 per place you would see with a typical application to medical school so chances of getting in are slim
Original post by Blue_Cow
Again? The people manning the switchboards are going to go insane!

It was on their website a few days ago that they were expecting it to be in clearing this year but it seems to have been removed now! Perhaps they decided to not have a repeat of last year!
The number of English students applying for medicine is going up, not down. George's has it's own problems and if they're taking people through clearing - well, they've always had different applications procedures - I know someone who went on to Graduate Medicine there with a BA in Italian.
Sheffield was not in clearing last year. They lost a significant number of offer holders as they didn't meet the grades so they were arranging interviews for those who had just missed one previously (I think you needed to have already been an applicant there to be considered).

Sheffield was 100% in clearing last year, people who hadn't applied there in the first place got interviews and offers from there in August.
Original post by asiangcse
Sheffield was 100% in clearing last year, people who hadn't applied there in the first place got interviews and offers from there in August.

When I asked one of the admissions tutors they said that this wasn't the case. Rare thing to ever happen regardless so no point banking on it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Also St George have confirmed they will be in clearing for medicine again for 2017
Reply 18
im afraid its not possible, sorry
When I asked one of the admissions tutors they said that this wasn't the case. Rare thing to ever happen regardless so no point banking on it.

I have no idea why they said that, I 100% know undergrads who have now finished first year at sheffield and got in via clearing... They messed up their admissions last time and rejected a whole load of good candidates pre-interview because they were really strict on personal statements, hence why from what I've heard this cycle they didn't use personal statements.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending