The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Black privilege

Scroll to see replies

No, if it supposedly does exist I would love to know about the privileges we have
Reply 21
Original post by Cubone-r
I'm not speaking politically. I am speaking in real terms. Racism is racism whether you are Black, White, Asian, or whatever.. if you believe your race is superior to another then that is racism (that is the definition after all).

The co-founder of Black Lives Matter has been quoted saying "White skin is sub-human". That is textbook racism.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/black-lives-matter-white-skin-is-subhumxn/news-story/546f8411513ac19144cb3a39257e8efe

I somewhat agree with you, but although it makes sense it's not the world we live in 🤷🏼*♀️
Original post by Ellie2143
It's not possible for ethnic minorities to be racist to white people. But a black person can discriminate against a white person on the basis of colour, this is called colourism.

Huh? Since when, first time I'm hearing about this?

Spoiler

I somewhat agree with you, but although it makes sense it's not the world we live in 🤷🏼*♀️

It is the world we live in, it's there for you to see in black and white (pun not intended :tongue:)
Reply 24
Original post by CallMeSosa
Huh? Since when, first time I'm hearing about this?

Spoiler

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.collinsdictionary.com/amp/english/colourism
Original post by matwillis
If white privilege can be considered to work in this country because we are mostly white then surely by that very same logic it can be argued that there are various forms of black privilige in mostly black countries such as those in Africa. Zimbabwe comes to mind when considering the white farmers thrown off their lands and taken by local black people. So if the concept of white privilige exists then so too must black privilige but just in another setting.

I know, mind blown.

Black privilege doesn't exist. It doesn't matter what kind of weird analogy you want to use.
Black privilege is the ability to voice your opinion on matter regarding race without worrying about being imputed as a racist, having your reputation besmirched and agenda misaligned and having your source of income attacked for having the impudence to deign to utter an opinion that doesn't conform with the ethos of the modern day hysterical left.

By that definition then, a White man can be "colourist" to a black person if he judges him by his skin colour, no?
Original post by YaliaV
That's why discussions on race are pointless. Losing your temper every time someone dares to disagree with you isn't helpful. The implication is "f all whites" which is more than a little racist in itself.

Black people in America do seem to have problems with the police, but some of that is down to resisting arrest on a far greater level and other factors. White people don't really have privilege in general. What privilege does an average person on a council estate have?

OJ got away with murder because of his fame and the privileges stemming from that. Money and power provide privilege, regardless of race

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sis firstly, all of your points are invalid. Secondly, resisting arrest? You're trying to justify the horrendous actions of 'police' in USA? I'm sorry ma'am, you need to hear the bull**** you're spewing
Reply 29
By that definition then, a White man can be "colourist" to a black person if he judges him by his skin colour, no?

I suppose
Original post by loveleest
Black privilege doesn't exist. It doesn't matter what kind of weird analogy you want to use.

Proof by assertion. Well, can't argue with that.

Neither does White privilege. Go tell that White homeless guy on the street how much better off he is than you because he is White.
Neither does White privilege. Go tell that White homeless guy on the street how much better off he is than you because he is White.

lol
Original post by YaliaV
That's why discussions on race are pointless. Losing your temper every time someone dares to disagree with you isn't helpful. The implication is "f all whites" which is more than a little racist in itself.

Black people in America do seem to have problems with the police, but some of that is down to resisting arrest on a far greater level and other factors. White people don't really have privilege in general. What privilege does an average person on a council estate have?

OJ got away with murder because of his fame and the privileges stemming from that. Money and power provide privilege, regardless of race

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't bring up the police because once you start mentioning facts you destroy the 'racist police' narrative and then you'll make the SJW BLM loonies cry.

OJ was found not guilty because the prosecution had a terrible case
It's not possible for ethnic minorities to be racist to white people. But a black person can discriminate against a white person on the basis of colour, this is called colourism.

You're embarrassing the rest of us, stop it. Racism is racism, we aren't exempt just because we're black.

Original post by Hirsty97
Black privilege is the ability to voice your opinion on matter regarding race without worrying about being imputed as a racist, having your reputation besmirched and agenda misaligned and having your source of income attacked for having the impudence to deign to utter an opinion that doesn't conform with the ethos of the modern day hysterical left.

If I'm honest, we're already living with a besmirched rep, our "agendas" (hate that word but whatever) are very often misconstrued and dismissed, and our sources of income are attacked, it's just that it's such an everyday thing that it's never just because of us voicing our opinions. I'd MUCH rather be able to walk down the street without worrying about whether the passing officer is going to stop me because I look "suspicious" than being able to scream the n-word in the club when a rap song is playing, but that's just me 🤷🏾*♂️
No. Racism is racism plain and simple. Do you recall the Chicago attack where a group of Black individuals kidnapped a White disabled man, took him to a secluded area, beat him violently, while shouting "f*ck White people", "f*ck Donald Trump" and forced him to say "I love black people" while crawling on his hands and knees? All while streaming it on Facebook live.

Are you are actually going to sit there and say that is not racism?

I think people refrain from calling it 'racism' because it is so uncommon and usually things like this are done as retaliation rather than because they hate white people because of their skin colour.

Similar acts of violence have been done to black people (recently as well) and there was no outrage then - one of the reasons why there is no such thing as 'black privilege' because they are rarely ever seen as the victim

I think by definition you may be able to say racism affects white people but in actuality it seems to be non existent for the most part.
lol

Nice argument. You get what you deserve in this world. No "social structure" or big bad evil White men are plotting against anyone. If you fail or don't quite get to where you want to be in life, it is down to you and only you.
Nice argument. You get what you deserve in this world. No "social structure" or big bad evil White men are plotting against anyone. If you fail or don't quite get to where you want to be in life, it is down to you and only you.

ok
Reply 38

Racism is about thinking your race is superior, a minority

Look, racism is about thinking your race is superior. An ethnic minority that has been put through hell to be accepted are not superior (im not talking about quality, I mean status) . White people have had a higher status for generations, and many white people still class their race as superior.
Original post by Nathan Scott
I think people refrain from calling it 'racism' because it is so uncommon and usually things like this are done as retaliation rather than because they hate white people because of their skin colour.

Similar acts of violence have been done to black people (recently as well) and there was no outrage then - one of the reasons why there is no such thing as 'black privilege' because they are rarely ever seen as the victim

I think by definition you may be able to say racism affects white people but in actuality it seems to be non existent for the most part.

I'm not arguing about which form of racism is "most important" - racism should not exist full stop. However, it does exist and can be used by people of all races.

I am not denying or belittling the extensive amount of racism that black people experience, I am merely stating the notion that White people also experience racism, obviously to a lesser degree, but nonetheless, it is still racism.

Latest

Trending

Trending