The Student Room Group

coosed wrong A levels

I finished Year 12 and study Double Maths, Economics and History and I enjoy only maths. The reason I don't like economics is not that I hate general economics and finance-related things (actually I like them) but because until now. I find it very boring. I do well but during lessons I slept very often and I couldn't concentrate. Same with history. Last year I liked both subjects so I choosed them.

Moreover, at GCSE I hated physics (got an A* though) but after I did mechanics I completely changed my mind and now I'm desperate that I didn't choose it and can't study something related in university.
I also regret for not doing chemistry and now the only path for that interests me is to study maths. If I had the right A levels I would certainly involve science in my studies, either combined with maths or something like Natural Sciences or maybe engineering.

As I already said I'm really desperate as my almost only option for the future is working in the finance sector. Not that I hate the prospect but I prefer to have a job more related to science.

To fully explain my situation, I'll drop history and probably get predicted (and hopefully achieve) A*A*A for A levels, with the A in economics, so I aim for top universities. I'm not considering a foundation or gap year as I already "lose" a year due to conscription.

Is there anything I can do/any other options available to me or should I just accept my condition?
Original post by dell1234
I finished Year 12 and study Double Maths, Economics and History and I enjoy only maths. The reason I don't like economics is not that I hate general economics and finance-related things (actually I like them) but because until now. I find it very boring. I do well but during lessons I slept very often and I couldn't concentrate. Same with history. Last year I liked both subjects so I choosed them.

Moreover, at GCSE I hated physics (got an A* though) but after I did mechanics I completely changed my mind and now I'm desperate that I didn't choose it and can't study something related in university.
I also regret for not doing chemistry and now the only path for that interests me is to study maths. If I had the right A levels I would certainly involve science in my studies, either combined with maths or something like Natural Sciences or maybe engineering.

As I already said I'm really desperate as my almost only option for the future is working in the finance sector. Not that I hate the prospect but I prefer to have a job more related to science.

To fully explain my situation, I'll drop history and probably get predicted (and hopefully achieve) A*A*A for A levels, with the A in economics, so I aim for top universities. I'm not considering a foundation or gap year as I already "lose" a year due to conscription.

Is there anything I can do/any other options available to me or should I just accept my condition?

Well you have ruled out a foundation year, so not sure what options you think are open? At some stage if you wish to do a science related degree then you have to do some science related study. You refuse to make time for that so you have backed yourself into a corner. You cant be that desperate otherwise you wouldnt be so inflexible.

The only unlikely option is for you to teach yourself the science subjects in one year as a private candidate at he same time as continuing your A levels. You may be clever enough to do 5 A levels.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Well you have ruled out a foundation year, so not sure what options you think are open? At some stage if you wish to do a science related degree then you have to do some science related study. You refuse to make time for that so you have backed yourself into a corner. You cant be that desperate otherwise you wouldnt be so inflexible.

The only unlikely option is for you to teach yourself the science subjects in one year as a private candidate at he same time as continuing your A levels. You may be clever enough to do 5 A levels.

thanks for the reply. I ruled out gap and foundation year as I will already waste a year on conscription and if I took a gap year it would be 2 years away from education.
do you think is feasible to study alone physics (not chemistry) in one year, especially when it's considered one of the most difficult a levels?
thanks for the reply. I ruled out gap and foundation year as I will already waste a year on conscription and if I took a gap year it would be 2 years away from education.
do you think is feasible to study alone physics (not chemistry) in one year, especially when it's considered one of the most difficult a levels?

Depends how clever you are plus you have to find somewhere for your practicals.

With double Maths you could look at some Engineering courses - have you checked out some unis?
You could ask to reset Year 12 and take new subjects? A lot of people at my 6th form do that.
Just suck it up and do the foundation year. It's the most straightforward way to get where you want to be. It really makes no difference to your university experience or to your career, whether you start year 1 of your degree at 19 or 20.
Do you have the option of doing AS Physics in Year 13. It's not out of the question that a lower-ranked university would accept you onto physics year 1 with maths, further maths and AS physics if you are at A*/A grade level. I think you would need to go fairly far down the physics rankings (although still a fair way up the overall rankings) to place like Kent, Salford etc, and you would want to speak to admissions officers first before wasting a UCAS application.Or do the Foundation Year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending