The Student Room Group

Unrefined sugar rots teeth slower than refined sugar.

Should refined sugar be largely replaced with unrefined sugar? (Unless you are an athlete trying to compete against people who have just had a dose of refined sugar.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Neither cause the massive tooth decay epidemic

This is largely caused by phytic acid from grains, mostly wheat and oats
Reply 2
Original post by r3035

This is largely caused by phytic acid from grains, mostly wheat and oats

Are you sure?
Reply 3
Original post by onthego
Are you sure?

Yes.

And a lack of vitamin K2 in the modern diet.

Also the oils like canola, sunflower, soybean, corn oil, etc have replaced traditional fats like butter and coconut oil - which protect you from tooth decay
Original post by r3035

This is largely caused by phytic acid from grains, mostly whI eat and oats

So why did my eldest child start to get blemishes on his teeth after drinking juice with is meal but my youngest has perfect teeth and has only ever had milk or water?
Original post by ByEeek
So why did my eldest child start to get blemishes on his teeth after drinking juice with is meal but my youngest has perfect teeth and has only ever had milk or water?

Because normally under 7s have perfect teeth.
Reply 6
Original post by ByEeek

most fruit is unripe and acidic anyway. this could explain it. coconut water is the only true safe fruit juice.

things like sunflower oil also cause tooth decay indirectly by depleting the body of vitamin D and vitamin k2
Original post by ByEeek

What a comprehensive scientific study you're presenting...
Original post by ClearSky
Because normally under 7s have perfect teeth.

They really don't.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39327425

Two of my son's friends have had teeth removed.
Original post by r3035
most fruit is unripe and acidic anyway. this could explain it. coconut water is the only true safe fruit juice.

things like sunflower oil also cause tooth decay indirectly by depleting the body of vitamin D and vitamin k2

So the advice you would give over the flood of advice from the government and dentists alike is to eat as much sugar as you like but ensure you get plenty of sun and green leafy veg as sugar does not rot your teeth?
Original post by ByEeek
They really don't.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39327425

Two of my son's friends have had teeth removed.

Wow... :eek: how old it your youngest child?
I have a 4 year old brother who's teeth are perfect even though he doesn't brush them well and eats a lot of sweets :s-smilie:
Original post by ClearSky
Wow... :eek: how old it your youngest child?
I have a 4 year old brother who's teeth are perfect even though he doesn't brush them well and eats a lot of sweets :s-smilie:

Youngest child is 4. We went through a phase of having juice with dinner with my eldest and very quickly he started getting blemishes on his teeth. The dentists put some special fluoride paste which hardened them up but it was clear the blemishes had been caused by the sugary juice as we have a generally sugar free healthy diet. Our youngest has only ever had milk or water and has had no issues.

I have no idea where this idea that sugar isn't bad for you is coming from. I am constantly surprised by some of the wacky ideas that come to the fore on this site.
Original post by ByEeek
Youngest child is 4. We went through a phase of having juice with dinner with my eldest and very quickly he started getting blemishes on his teeth. The dentists put some special fluoride paste which hardened them up but it was clear the blemishes had been caused by the sugary juice as we have a generally sugar free healthy diet. Our youngest has only ever had milk or water and has had no issues.

I have no idea where this idea that sugar isn't bad for you is coming from. I am constantly surprised by some of the wacky ideas that come to the fore on this site.

Sugar is very bad for the teeth and health in general :yep:
I guess milk and water would be the better option :dontknow: my family generally drink Coke and eat a lot of sugar but it's really not good :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by ByEeek
So the advice you would give over the flood of advice from the government and dentists alike is to eat as much sugar as you like but ensure you get plenty of sun and green leafy veg as sugar does not rot your teeth?

no

just that vegetable oils ,
and things like oats and wholewheat also cause tooth decay

not just sugar

If we wanted to prevent tooth decay we would hand out vitamin k2 and vitamin D capsules,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36856176

However vitamin D will cause a magnesium deficiency in some people
Original post by r3035
no

just that vegetable oils ,
and things like oats and wholewheat also cause tooth decay

not just sugar

If we wanted to prevent tooth decay we would hand out vitamin k2 and vitamin D capsules,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36856176

However vitamin D will cause a magnesium deficiency in some people

With respect, vitamin D has nothing to do with teeth. Once your teeth have formed, that is it. They don't repair themselves which is why we need to look after them. But vitamin D is very good for bone growth.

You are right that white and oats contain sugar, but it is in the form of starch which is broken down and converted into sugars that the body can use. From a teeth point of view, they are significantly less harmful to your teeth than raw sugar which is why you tend not to get fury teeth after eating a ham sandwich but you do get fury teeth after eating a bowl of cocoa pops.
Reply 15
Original post by ByEeek
With respect, vitamin D has nothing to do with teeth. Once your teeth have formed, that is it. They don't repair themselves which is why we need to look after them. But vitamin D is very good for bone growth.

You are right that white and oats contain sugar, but it is in the form of starch which is broken down and converted into sugars that the body can use. From a teeth point of view, they are significantly less harmful to your teeth than raw sugar which is why you tend not to get fury teeth after eating a ham sandwich but you do get fury teeth after eating a bowl of cocoa pops.

the wheat and oats are problematic because of phytic acid, which pulls calcium out of the teeth and bones

To avoid this, you have to soak and ferment grains for about 92 hours

Sourdough bread is an example of this.
Original post by r3035
the wheat and oats are problematic because of phytic acid, which pulls calcium out of the teeth and bones

To avoid this, you have to soak and ferment grains for about 92 hours

Sourdough bread is an example of this.

Wait what? So oats and grains rot your teeth? :erm: What DOESN'T rot your teeth then:cry2:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Wait what? So oats and grains rot your teeth? :erm: What DOESN'T rot your teeth then:cry2:

Thought the same thing :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by littlenorthernlass

Original post by Wilfred Little
Thought the same thing :biggrin:

if you ferment them, they won't

but most people don't do this

you can replace vegetable oils with butter and coconut oil. things like sunflower will deplete the body of vitamin D and K2
Tooth_enamelThe high mineral content of enamel, which makes this tissue the hardest in the human body, also makes it susceptible to a demineralization process which often occurs as dental caries, otherwise known as cavities. Demineralization occurs for several reasons, but the most important cause of tooth decay is the ingestion of fermentable carbohydrates. Tooth cavities are caused when acids dissolve tooth enamel

Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2(s) + 8H+(aq) 10Ca2+(aq) + 6HPO42−(aq) + 2H2O(l)

Sugars from candies, soft drinks, and fruit juices play a significant role in tooth decay, and consequently in enamel destruction. The mouth contains a great number and variety of bacteria, and when sucrose, the most common of sugars, coats the surface of the mouth, some intraoral bacteria interact with it and form lactic acid, which decreases the pH in the mouth. Then, the hydroxyapatite crystals of enamel demineralize, allowing for greater bacterial invasion deeper into the tooth. The most important bacterium involved with tooth decay is Streptococcus mutans, but the number and type of bacteria varies with the progress of tooth destruction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooth_enamel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending