The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi offer-holders! Just to let you know that we'll be running our annual Q+A thread about results, confirmation, the summer pool and starting at Cambridge between 9th and 23rd August.
Reply 3901
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi offer-holders! Just to let you know that we'll be running our annual Q+A thread about results, confirmation, the summer pool and starting at Cambridge between 9th and 23rd August.

Yay! Bring tea and muffins - it's going to get emotional...!
@Doonesbury Do you know the chance of a Churchill Mathmo being rejected with a 1,S offer after achieving 1,1 (and exceeding A-levels by far)? Gonna ask Peterhouse Admissions when they start their Q&A on 9th, but until then do you know who else I could ask?
Reply 3903
Original post by Insight314
@Doonesbury Do you know the chance of a Churchill Mathmo being rejected with a 1,S offer after achieving 1,1 (and exceeding A-levels by far)? Gonna ask Peterhouse Admissions when they start their Q&A on 9th, but until then do you know who else I could ask?

The CAT has started her thread - ask in there - but a 1,1 would definitely be pooled and stand a good chance I think.
Hi, I just met my offer's conditions and it's official on UCAS. I'd like to prepare before October (my English isn't that good), and I was wondering if it's possible to have access to online ressources before the term starts.

Does anyone know if it's possible?

Thanks
Reply 3905
Original post by indvolda
Hi, I just met my offer's conditions and it's official on UCAS. I'd like to prepare before October (my English isn't that good), and I was wondering if it's possible to have access to online ressources before the term starts.

Thanks

Congratulations! By the way, did you change course?

As with all questions like this, you need to ask your college. Your DoS will be in touch in due course, but there's no harm sending them a note now.

But I doubt you will get access to Raven (the intranet) until much later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

As per @Doonesbury

Also it may be better if you enjoy the summer holiday as much as possible.
This is the LAST work-free holiday you'll have next 3/4 years until you graduate.
In fact, except for a few courses, I know many DoS recommend what I said if they are asked the same question as yours.
If they think preparation before the freshers week is beneficial, they'll definitely send you some small assignments or suggestions on books to read. So until then, relax and enjoy the freedom. :wink:

Congrats!

Thanks

If your college would like you to do work, they'll be in touch - you can be reactive on that. The important thing to do is to take a break! You may also want to make sure you're happy with your English - not necessarily in any academic context but more to ensure that you will be comfortable living and communicating in English and able to keep up with lectures and writing assignments etc.
Original post by physicsmaths
Oh hi ur bak

Hi, thanks for reply. I'm not exactly back - I'm in China for a few weeks.
Are there no other 18 year-olds with unconditional offers on TSR? You took a year out didn't you?
Original post by Bunratty
Hi, thanks for reply. I'm not exactly back - I'm in China for a few weeks.
Are there no other 18 year-olds with unconditional offers on TSR? You took a year out didn't you?

Lol
Yeh I did.
There will be plenty of 18yr olds with unconditional offers in late august, don't worry u won't be unique for long
Original post by Bunratty
Are there no other 18 year-olds with unconditional offers on TSR?

There's plenty now as well. IB is a thing.
Original post by Zacken
There's plenty now as well. IB is a thing.

Part IB mathematical tripos yes zack atack oh yes
Hey guys, in particular @Doonesbury and @Reality Check.

I'm filling out a questionnaire for my assesment to see what DSA funding I'm entitled to. I'm doing it at Durham University since its closest and very well rated for sorting DSA out.

Do I put my college address for "term time address" and everything? It's just that I don't even know if I'll get my grades, so it's a bit strange they're asking for it.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Hey guys, in particular @Doonesbury and @Reality Check.

I'm filling out a questionnaire for my assesment to see what DSA funding I'm entitled to. I'm doing it at Durham University since its closest and very well rated for sorting DSA out.

Do I put my college address for "term time address" and everything? It's just that I don't even know if I'll get my grades, so it's a bit strange they're asking for it.

Hello!! How are you? It seems ages since we spoke.

Yes, your term-time address would be your college address - just your name and the postal address of the college. :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
Hello!! How are you? It seems ages since we spoke.

Yes, your term-time address would be your college address - just your name and the postal address of the college. :smile:

Alright! A lot has happened so I have to update my blog, and we need a catch-up!

Okay thank you RC! They're now asking me for all sorts of information like Disability Adviser and Course Leader and number of lectures a week. :s-smilie: I don't know what to put down because I haven't started yet. It's the end of July, not October.
Alright! A lot has happened so I have to update my blog, and we need a catch-up!

Okay thank you RC! They're now asking me for all sorts of information like Disability Adviser and Course Leader and number of lectures a week. :s-smilie: I don't know what to put down because I haven't started yet. It's the end of July, not October.

Crikey...

Disability Advisor - there should be a named person on the college website. Course leader would be your DoS (again, is there an indication on the college website on DoS names). Finally, number of lectures a week - god knows! I would have thought 8+ All a bit vague, I know!

I've been told that I need a timetable in order to sort out DSA funding for transport - I did say that I thought I'd have lectures 4-5 days a week but apparently they need evidence at the assessment centre so I'm guessing I'll have to sort that out towards the end of summer (if I'm lucky enough to have a timetable by then, it's possible I'll have to wait until I have login details for Raven). It's awkward when you want to feel prepared for the start of term.

Disability advisers are listed here: http://www.disability.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/advice-support-for-students/meet-advisers. You just have to identify which person supports students at your college.
Crikey...

Disability Advisor - there should be a named person on the college website. Course leader would be your DoS (again, is there an indication on the college website on DoS names). Finally, number of lectures a week - god knows! I would have thought 8+ All a bit vague, I know!

Thank you! I do wish you could sit next to me and help me with this, they're asking far too much for someone who has just finished their A-Levels.

It's also asking me for the number of tutorials, seminars, group work, contact hours. I just have no idea I haven't started yet. This is a bit of a pain, I was expecting them to just care about my disability and sort the other details out after results day...
Thank you! I do wish you could sit next to me and help me with this, they're asking far too much for someone who has just finished their A-Levels.

It's also asking me for the number of tutorials. I just have no idea I haven't started yet. This is a bit of a pain, I was expecting them to just care about my disability and sort the other details out after results day...

Good lord - do they want you to strip off and give your measurements as well!

Ordinarily, you'd be supervised once a week for each of the papers you're taking. So assuming you do four papers in an eight-week term you'd get 32 supervisions per term. You'd also expect some extra supervisions in the Easter Term as you get nearer to tripos. So I'd suggest 70-80 hours of supervision during the academic year would be a reasonable estimate. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Good lord - do they want you to strip off and give your measurements as well!

Ordinarily, you'd be supervised once a week for each of the papers you're taking. So assuming you do four papers in an eight-week term you'd get 32 supervisions per term. You'd also expect some extra supervisions in the Easter Term as you get nearer to tripos. So I'd suggest 80-90 hours of supervision during the academic year would be a reasonable estimate. :smile:

Probably. This part should at least be optional!

Thank you, seriously don't know where I'd be without you! This is ridiculous.

Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending