The Student Room Group

Disability CHAT/HELP Thread

:woo:Welcome to the Disability Chat Thread:woo:

Otherwise known as the Disabled Students Society Thread Mk. II.
For part one see here.

:yep:

Join the Society HERE.:colondollar:

:party:

Here, disabled and non-disabled students can have a chat, and a laugh about there disability, cry about how it is affecting them, share stories and help others get the support they need.

If you're new to this area of TSR, you can find an introduction to the subforum here.

Frequently asked questions regarding disability support can be found here.

And if you think you might have a disability or condition affecting your learning but aren't sure, you can check out this list of possible conditions that could be affecting you. If you want a second opinion post in this thread or make a thread in the subforum.

If any of the linked threads above do not answer your query, just make a new thread in the subforum or ask us here and we'll do our best to provide the right advice.

Let the gifs commence...
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So it turns out that there was a similar thread many years ago which sort of caused this forum to be created. So this is that thread Mark II.:biggrin:

We thank the legend of TSR that is @Ethereal immensely for his efforts leading to the creation of this forum.:adore:

If you do wish to join the Disabled Students Society, you can do here. The group itself doesn't mean anything, it's just where I'll be collecting the more informal threads that we can all contribute to.:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
I am so pleased that this thread is so busy:emo:

This forum is generally pretty quiet anyway.
Original post by Tiger Rag
This forum is generally pretty quiet anyway.

I have noticed. :sadnod:
@SonoLuma, let me know what your outcome was yeah?
Thanks for the contribution @PQ :lol:

What brings you here?
@SonoLuma
Hey!

Thanks for your tag in the admire post. That was really nice, the community of people who genuinely want to listen and help on this site has been a real source of support.

In the end, I received an email from them yesterday (after I had checked my rights and informed them I was considering legal action) where they made a revised offer of the complaint response.

Clearly, someone had dropped the ball and not checked about the circumstances of my course fees and the college must have felt that they were "in a position" (either that or genuinely recognising the disruption this course has caused for me)

They have not only offered to refund the course costs to the SFE and put me through the course (having my final exams the day after results day haha) but also arranged an ex-gratia payment of the course fees directly to me! I was flabbergasted!

Currently in varying levels of shock, I have a lot of work to do, but just taken aback.

Thanks so much for your support. Very much appreciate it!
That's good to hear.:h:

Just work hard to make sure they really value you next year yeah?

Don't let you disability define you!
Original post by 04MR17
@SonoLuma That's good to hear.:h:

Just work hard to make sure they really value you next year yeah?

Don't let you disability define you!

Thank you! :smile: I have received marks back for all of my maths assignments today and they are almost 100% across the board (apart from one which is 99%)

Last to do is my exams and then I can get started on my next course materials! I hope to go into a PhD in future so I intend to make a good impression!

I intend to leave this behind me and hopefully get into a more relaxed environment with this next course, so hopefully the issue of disability won't even be an issue. (fingers crossed!)

Thanks for your advice! :biggrin:
Original post by SonoLuma
Thank you! :smile: I have received marks back for all of my maths assignments today and they are almost 100% across the board (apart from one which is 99%)

Last to do is my exams and then I can get started on my next course materials! I hope to go into a PhD in future so I intend to make a good impression!

I intend to leave this behind me and hopefully get into a more relaxed environment with this next course, so hopefully the issue of disability won't even be an issue. (fingers crossed!)

Thanks for your advice! :biggrin:
That's great news.:yay:

I'm sure you'll be wonderful Dr SonoLuma.

It doesn't matter if your disability is an issue, it's part of who you are and there will always be TSR here to support.
Original post by 04MR17
That's great news.:yay:

I'm sure you'll be wonderful Dr SonoLuma.

It doesn't matter if your disability is an issue, it's part of who you are and there will always be TSR here to support.

Thanks so much! You're awesome :smile:

"Dr." oh man, it's a long way off, but I cannot wait! It's like a stamp from society saying "well done, you have made a real recognised contribution to science!"

It's so exciting!

I'm crap at keeping up with contact with people, but I promise I will let you know how things are going in future :smile:

Have a great one! :smile:
Original post by SonoLuma
Thanks so much! You're awesome :smile:

"Dr." oh man, it's a long way off, but I cannot wait! It's like a stamp from society saying "well done, you have made a real recognised contribution to science!"

It's so exciting!

I'm crap at keeping up with contact with people, but I promise I will let you know how things are going in future :smile:

Have a great one! :smile:
Awe thank you, your story is one of positivity when it comes to achievement for people with conditions. Thank you for sharing it with us.
:hugs:
:hi:

Hello, 04MR17 - this thread is an awesome idea; thank you for taking the time to create it. :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
Awe thank you, your story is one of positivity when it comes to achievement for people with conditions. Thank you for sharing it with us.
:hugs:

:smile:
Original post by PerplexingGeode
:hi:

Hello, 04MR17 - this thread is an awesome idea; thank you for taking the time to create it. :smile:
No problem PG, how are you? Good to see you again by the way.:yep:
Thanks for the rep @Petulia :h:
Well, I just recently received my disabled persons railcard.
Original post by Student1914
Well, I just recently received my disabled persons railcard.
:woohoo: How does it feel?:holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest