The Student Room Group

First time drinking beer to get drunk?

Firstly, I apologise if this isn't the right place to ask, just thought I'd receive some legitimate responses here!

Alright so I'm 22-years-old (F) and I usually drink wine when I'm out, either one with a meal or a couple of glasses in order to get drunk. Wine is thankfully cheaper than the vodka lemonade/coke mixes I used to drink when I was younger, but still not exactly cheap.

I have a few events coming up that involve going out drinking with friends and my boyfriend suggested that I try drinking beer one of those nights as he has a big crate already and it'd be cheaper for the both of us. The thing is, I don't usually like/drink beer. I've tried it in the past, and I could only stomach one bottle of Budweiser and even then, I'd end up drinking it rather slowly. I moved from vodka +mixers to wine as it didn't bloat me or make me feel sick due to wine not being fizzy like vodka +mixers. So I have a few questions for people who move to beer from something else like wine in order to drink it all night and get drunk.

- Does beer bloat you like vodka +mixers do?
- How many bottles of beer (in this case, Budweiser) would it take to even get relatively tipsy?

To maybe make things easier: I wouldn't exactly say I was a "light-weight" but it also doesn't take me a lot to get to that "happy/buzzed/tipsy" state when drinking something like wine or vodka, I'd say about 3 or 4 glasses and I'm at that state. I know everyone is different when it comes to alcohol consumption, but I'm hoping someone here can offer some insight and personal experiences!
you don't need to get drunk to have fun. Don't feel like you have to drink something that you don't like the taste of just to get hammered. just relax have fun and drink what you enjoy but in moderation. plus so much fun watching others g it drunk and telling them all the stupid things they get up to in the morning :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
you don't need to get drunk to have fun. Don't feel like you have to drink something that you don't like the taste of just to get hammered. just relax have fun and drink what you enjoy but in moderation. plus so much fun watching others g it drunk and telling them all the stupid things they get up to in the morning :tongue:

That's very true! It was just a general question as I'm willing to give it a go, but there's nothing worse (for me, at least) than drinking alcohol with the intention of even getting a little buzzed, and it just ends up bloating you and making you feel tired.
Why don't you add some lemonade to the beer to make it sweeter and less bitter?
Reply 4
Original post by TomlHumphries
Why don't you add some lemonade to the beer to make it sweeter and less bitter?

I never thought of this! I might give that a go, actually.
Depends on the size of the bud bottles, plus body mass/tolerance.
Reply 6
To be fair Budweiser is terrible. There's huge variation in beers, and in general the more you have (long-term that is) the less uncomfortable you will feel. I like beer but I very often will move on to something else, largely because I want to accelerate my drunkenness. Tbh spirits with drinks don't really bloat me, but too much beer in a short span of time kind of does. As for tipsiness, personally I've never quite understood the boundary here, as I feel some small effect even from very small amounts of alcohol, but it would probably take a couple of pints (maybe three or four bottles if they're the smaller ones).
Original post by luxford
Alright so I'm 22-years-old (F) and I usually drink wine when I'm out, either one with a meal or a couple of glasses in order to get drunk.
That is a really bad habit. You will damage your health if you aim to get drunk. A woman's liver is typically half the size of a man's.

I have a few events coming up that involve going out drinking with friends and my boyfriend suggested that I try drinking beer one of those nights as he has a big crate already and it'd be cheaper for the both of us.

There is a huge range of beer, from stout to wheat beer. One advantage is that it is not as alcoholic as wine or spirits, so is easier to drink in moderation. As mentioned above, you could also drink shandy. Soft drinks are also available.

The thing is, I don't usually like/drink beer. I've tried it in the past, and I could only stomach one bottle of Budweiser and even then, I'd end up drinking it rather slowly.

My favourite is Weissbier (wheat beer), but I sometimes fall-back to Guinness or cider - which may be another option to try.

Drinking slowly is good, as is knowing when to stop (and doing so).
Beer will bloat you because it's so gassy, same with cider. You could try making it into a shandy if you don't like the taste so much. Also none of us here can say how many bottles/cans it'll take to make you tipsy because it all depends on your weight and body composition.
But it sure helps
Getting “”tipsy”” or even drunk isn’t a matter of how many. Everyone’s different. For example I could go 6 beers and get buzzed/drunk but my girlfriend only takes about 2-3 beers and she’ll get buzzed . So honestly it’s just a matter of your body and what it can handle remember drink responsibly and stay tipsy :smile:
Original post by StayTipsy108
Getting “”tipsy”” or even drunk isn’t a matter of how many. Everyone’s different. For example I could go 6 beers and get buzzed/drunk but my girlfriend only takes about 2-3 beers and she’ll get buzzed . So honestly it’s just a matter of your body and what it can handle remember drink responsibly and stay tipsy :smile:

You signed up to post in a thread made by someone who doesn't come on here anymore, to tell them to basically become an alcoholic. Brilliant. Also, what sort of c*** uses the word "buzzed" :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest