The Student Room Group

Has my *****y landlord forgot to ask for rent?

My landlord is a cluster**** of a landlord. I do not have a copy of the contract. He always sends me like 100's of emails before and when rent is due, and after. I have to transfer the money into their account. It's pretty dodgy to be fair. We need a reference and the landlord gave mine to me last minute off the top of their head. I never get a confirmation email afterwards or anything and am personally terrified when ever I have to pay.

Now I have this housemate, who lets just say hates my guts and lies 99% of the time. She told me we had an extra £400 quid to pay for the last month. With a ****ing smiley face in the text. She normally uses smiley faces in texts when she lies (so 99% of the time she texts me) despite hating my guts and never normally hiding it.

My contract ended 3 days ago. I've had no emails from my landlord what so ever. I asked my nice housemate about this extra rent. She said she had no idea what I was talking about and that she hasn't payed that. She's pretty god damn smart so I doubt she'd **** up on the rent.

So what do you lot think? would a landlord ever just forget?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyfeathers
My landlord is a cluster**** of a landlord. I do not have a copy of the contract. He always sends me like 100's of emails before and when rent is due, and after. I have to transfer the money into their account. It's pretty dodgy to be fair. We need a reference and the landlord gave mine to me last minute off the top of their head. I never get a confirmation email afterwards or anything and am personally terrified when ever I have to pay.

Now I have this housemate, who lets just say hates my guts and lies 99% of the time. She told me we had an extra £400 quid to pay for the last month. With a ****ing smiley face in the text. She normally uses smiley faces in texts when she lies (so 99% of the time she texts me) despite hating my guts and never normally hiding it.

My contract ended 3 days ago. I've had no emails from my landlord what so ever. I asked my nice housemate about this extra rent. She said she had no idea what I was talking about and that she hasn't payed that. She's pretty god damn smart so I doubt she'd **** up on the rent.

So what do you lot think? would a landlord ever just forget?

Just check your bank records and see how many rent payments you have madeDoes it cover the period of your tenancy?
If the LL expects more money then they will tell you.
If you have paid for every month then dont worry, tbh its odd you dont keep a record of what payments you have made i.e 12 payments on a 12 month contract = paid for each month..

You also didnt mention anything about getting your deposit back.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Just check your bank records and see how many rent payments you have madeDoes it cover the period of your tenancy?
If the LL expects more money then they will tell you.
If you have paid for every month then dont worry, tbh its odd you dont keep a record of what payments you have made i.e 12 payments on a 12 month contract = paid for each month..

You also didnt mention anything about getting your deposit back.

That is an idea. My dad told me to just wait and see. If they want more they'll ask. My concern is just I know my landlord is a **** landlord and half the emails I'm suppose to get I don't. And my nice house mate has told me we will get them back but so far I've heard nothing else about it.
That is an idea. My dad told me to just wait and see. If they want more they'll ask. My concern is just I know my landlord is a **** landlord and half the emails I'm suppose to get I don't. And my nice house mate has told me we will get them back but so far I've heard nothing else about it.

Just use some common sense. Why wouldnt you keep a record of what you have paid? thats on you and no your LL.
…it's your role as a good tenant to follow-up with the landlord and it's certainly not their job to remind you to pay your rent, you should do that anyway. Please use your initiative and give them a ring.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Your contact ended, so have you moved out?

Has your deposit been returned?
Wow way to be a ***** about it. No need for that. I'm asking for advice not you're ****ing wallet

Calm down, I gave you advice, I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my tone or came across in a bad way, not my intention - but what exactly do you want us to do about this? You need to communicate with your landlord.
I'm your landlord, now give me my ****ing money! :angry:
Reply 8
Original post by Paracosm
Calm down, I gave you advice, I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my tone or came across in a bad way, not my intention - but what exactly do you want us to do about this? You need to communicate with your landlord.

Um did you actually read what you said? No misinterpretation there love. You Think I haven't already tried emailing them? Phoning? I wanted people to weigh in on this not your attitude. Thanks.
Cos I've got other things to do? Like study? keeping my first in Chemistry? Having a life? None of my other housemates did that. We're all in the same boat. oh well except from you with that 8 ft pole up your ass. What is your problem?

Just someone who wasted their time trying to show you how to resolve your situation with a bit of common sense which you seem unable to apply.
Reply 10
Original post by Ezisola
Your contact ended, so have you moved out?

Has your deposit been returned?

ended 4 days ago. No mention of the deposit from them so far. one of my housemates is hounding them but no luck. that's normally the case since they switched management.
Um did you actually read what you said? No misinterpretation there love. You Think I haven't already tried emailing them? Phoning? I wanted people to weigh in on this not your attitude. Thanks.

Like I said before, there's no attitude here. Simply there's not a whole lot we can do without either more information or context. Furthermore, if your landlord is ignoring you then it becomes their problem, as you didn't specify before I didn't make the assumption. My weigh in is to contact them, failing that - make a record of the times you attempted to contact them regarding all of this and if they were to try and use it against you then you have everything in hand and it displays their failings as a landlord and that you are a good tenant for trying to get it sorted. I'm sorry I assumed you hadn't contacted them, but as you didn't say I didn't want to assume otherwise - similarly, I'm genuinely sorry you misinterpreted my tone - there's nothing malicious in my intentions!

Best wishes
Cos I've got other things to do? Like study? keeping my first in Chemistry? Having a life? None of my other housemates did that. We're all in the same boat. oh well except from you with that 8 ft pole up your ass. What is your problem?

Nobody gives a flying **** about your life. Doesnt take 10 hours to give the landlord a ring. Stop being a **** to people who are trying to help.
Oh wow look you're pissed off and I care. Glad I made your day :wink:

I'm ambivalent. If you arent interested in resolving your issue but just wish to rant at others who try and help you then fill your boots. Says more about you.
Reply 14
Like I said before, there's no attitude here. Simply there's not a whole lot we can do without either more information or context. Furthermore, if your landlord is ignoring you then it becomes their problem, as you didn't specify before I didn't make the assumption. My weigh in is to contact them, failing that - make a record of the times you attempted to contact them regarding all of this and if they were to try and use it against you then you have everything in hand and it displays their failings as a landlord and that you are a good tenant for trying to get it sorted. I'm sorry I assumed you hadn't contacted them, but as you didn't say I didn't want to assume otherwise - similarly, I'm genuinely sorry you misinterpreted my tone - there's nothing malicious in my intentions!

Best wishes

Holy **** well thanks. a lot of people on here are just ass holes so. As in 18 year olds who think they're now -adults- legal experts, nutritionists, accountants, doctors, politicians combine. They are the worst landlords. the managers have been switched over 4 times this year.
Holy **** well thanks. a lot of people on here are just ass holes so. As in 18 year olds who think they're now -adults- legal experts, nutritionists, accountants, doctors, politicians combine. They are the worst landlords. the managers have been switched over 4 times this year.

Ah, I see - sorry it seems that way. However, if that's the case, perhaps asking on MoneySavingExpert's forum might bring some more fruitful advice? They're usually a very helpful bunch, I hope it gets sorted.

I did ring them. You anus.

Help? you have to admit you were an *******. and a gaping one at that.

Please do take time to calm down, responding to other people in the way you are isn't OK here.
Reply 16
Ah, I see - sorry it seems that way. However, if that's the case, perhaps asking on MoneySavingExpert's forum might bring some more fruitful advice? They're usually a very helpful bunch, I hope it gets sorted.

Please do take time to calm down, responding to other people in the way you are isn't OK here.

have you seen the way they're responding to me? Am I meant to say thanks instead?
Help? you have to admit you were an *******. and a gaping one at that.

Hilaire. My answers were perfectly reasonable. You have gotten yourself into the situation of no tenancy agreement and not knowing how much rent they have paid, but you start insulting others for your own failings.You have issues.
have you seen the way they're responding to me? Am I meant to say thanks instead?

Any unreasonable posts should be reported, don't respond to someone if you don't like what they're saying please. :smile:
It seems like you dont want advice. You just want us to massage your ego as you seem insecure and angry about about something.

Just check your bank records. Its not hard :tongue:

Latest