DOM26
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am looking for advice please. I acheived AAB in my a-levels in 2015 and really wanted to study vet med. As i needed a car for WEX i didnt apply that year and planned to take a gap year to get some. Due to my B grade biology i settled and applied through clearing to study pharmacy due to unis saying they dont accept people with resits outside of the two years. After doing this for two years i know that vet med is the course i really want. So what do you recommend, should i try and apply for vet med or settle and become a pharmacist? (Graduate entry is an option but i have no way of affording the tuition fees.)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DOM26)
I am looking for advice please. I acheived AAB in my a-levels in 2015 and really wanted to study vet med. As i needed a car for WEX i didnt apply that year and planned to take a gap year to get some. Due to my B grade biology i settled and applied through clearing to study pharmacy due to unis saying they dont accept people with resits outside of the two years. After doing this for two years i know that vet med is the course i really want. So what do you recommend, should i try and apply for vet med or settle and become a pharmacist? (Graduate entry is an option but i have no way of affording the tuition fees.)
You are in a difficult place.

1. Pharmacy isnt going to be accepted as an appropriate science degree everywhere.

2. Assuming you go the grades and made it through BMAT, interviews or whatever entrance exam they have, then theres he issue of funding. None of this is my area, but it appears you will be required to find the graduate accelerated degree yourself i.e How would you pay for it? Work for several years and save up the money? How determined are you and how many years will you put into it to win through? It would take years.
http://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/fees-and-...ship-programme

3. If you were going to pick any year then you should have asked and quit last year so SFE would have funded had you managed to get accepted. You could possibly have redone three different A levels assuming they met criteria and tried that way.

It looks very difficult from where you are. Im all for chasing your dreams, just be prepared to pay the price and believe in yourself. You cant afford doubts. Hopefully some vest will come along and give you more informed advice.

Maybe you can pick a related career or field? There appear to be a surplus of Pharmacists at the moment so a different science degree might have given you more options.

Sorry I cant think of something more positive.
Popsicle_pirate
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi!
I legit just signed up to tell you that you are definitely not too dumb to study vet med! You are studying pharmacy which is by no means an easy course so give yourself some credit

Secondly, I believe (and please don't quote me on this but if I'm right will give you some options) that if you started but have not/did not complete an undergrad degree then you are still entitled to some student finance towards tuition fees (I believe this is the length of your original course plus one year minus the number of years you have already fully or part completed) so if your pharmacy course is 3 years then you get 4 years funding minus the 2 you already did so you could still receive 2 years of funding for vet med. obviously if you went down this route you wouldn't be able to apply for grad entry as you'd have to pull out of your current degree before the third year so you would still need to fund 3 years of vet med yourself but seems more manageable than completing your pharmacy degree, still having your heart set on being a vet and having to finance 4 (grad entry) or 5 years yourself. Something to think about before you move into your third year of pharmacy. Again- I'm no expert so please check this is actually the case before making any big decisions!!
Lizziefickling
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Popsicle_pirate)
Hi!
I legit just signed up to tell you that you are definitely not too dumb to study vet med! You are studying pharmacy which is by no means an easy course so give yourself some credit

Secondly, I believe (and please don't quote me on this but if I'm right will give you some options) that if you started but have not/did not complete an undergrad degree then you are still entitled to some student finance towards tuition fees (I believe this is the length of your original course plus one year minus the number of years you have already fully or part completed) so if your pharmacy course is 3 years then you get 4 years funding minus the 2 you already did so you could still receive 2 years of funding for vet med. obviously if you went down this route you wouldn't be able to apply for grad entry as you'd have to pull out of your current degree before the third year so you would still need to fund 3 years of vet med yourself but seems more manageable than completing your pharmacy degree, still having your heart set on being a vet and having to finance 4 (grad entry) or 5 years yourself. Something to think about before you move into your third year of pharmacy. Again- I'm no expert so please check this is actually the case before making any big decisions!!
If you complete a degree you don't get any of the second vetmed degree funded so OP wouldn't have to fund 3 years, they would have to fund 4/5 depending on whether they do the grad entry course at RVC for example, or at liverpool 5 years would need to be funded.
Lizziefickling
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DOM26)
Firstly no, you are not too dumb to study vet medicine! The pharmacy degree itself isn't an easy one, and if you compete the degree with a 2:1 or above then you are more than capable of doing the vet med degree, however not all the universities will accept the degree, so it would be wise to check with admissions as to whether the degree is suitable to apply with, otherwise you may be back at square one and having to get the A levels needed to gain a place.

There are ways of funding the vet med degree as a graduate but it's not easy. Most students manage with help from friends/family, others work before starting and save, and then work during holidays to help pay for the next year. It's achievable but it's not the easiest thing to do.
If you were to complete your pharmacy degree you wouldn't be eligible for funding from SFE for a second degree, if you don't finish the degree you'll be eligible for funding however you will be stuck not having the required A levels. I think it would be wise for you to stick it out and finish your current degree, but obviously it depends on your financial position and how you feel about finishing. The universities however do accept resits, most of them anyway.

Another option is studying abroad, in Slovakia for example. Cheaper tuition fees (however you need to fund living out there) and the degree is 4 years long rather than 5.

If it was me in this position I wouldn't settle, because I would never be truly happy even if I loved the job I was in I would be left wanting more, it's only a decision you can make yourself, but don't doubt that you're not good enough because you are.
Popsicle_pirate
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lizziefickling)
If you complete a degree you don't get any of the second vetmed degree funded so OP wouldn't have to fund 3 years, they would have to fund 4/5 depending on whether they do the grad entry course at RVC for example, or at liverpool 5 years would need to be funded.
That was my point, if they didn't finish their current degree then they could still part fund a second degree with student tuition loan.
spacelumps
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely look into studying abroad if you decide to go for it as a grad-entry. The fees are still high but much more manageable than the UK/Ireland. Kosice in Slovakia is a good option as they have a 4 year course and you can email them to check if they accept Pharmacy grads into the 4 year but I don't see that being a problem. Budapest is another option, the degree is 5 1/2 years as far as I remember but when I applied with my degree in zoology they said I would be able to skip some stuff but I didn't go there in the end so I'm not sure exactly how much. At the end of the day if you know vet is what you really want to be doing you will have regrets, but be sure it is what you want to do, and if it is, go for it as best you can. Then at least you will know you tried.
DOM26
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Popsicle_pirate)
Hi!

Thank you for your support, ill look into student finance and maybe look at suspending my studies for a year, and emailing admissions of the vets schools and see what they say; probably that theres no point due to the fact i probably wont make it through the academic criteria. With regards to funding, i cant go abroad because even with cheaper fees it would be more economical to get maintenance at least. Ive just seen Glasgow uni in clearing, the chances are slim but im gonna see if i can get in.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Whatever you do - Do not go into pharmacy as a career.

I considered pharmacy a few years back and did some research on career prospects. Didn't look too good.

The government has refused to put a cap on the number of pharmacy school place (unlike medicine) meaning there are now a silly number of pharmacy schools, churning out too many MPharm graduates into a job market that has been severely affected by government cuts. Just look at the Pharmacy subforum and read some of the awful threads there.
Lizziefickling
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DOM26)
Thank you for your support, ill look into student finance and maybe look at suspending my studies for a year, and emailing admissions of the vets schools and see what they say; probably that theres no point due to the fact i probably wont make it through the academic criteria. With regards to funding, i cant go abroad because even with cheaper fees it would be more economical to get maintenance at least. Ive just seen Glasgow uni in clearing, the chances are slim but im gonna see if i can get in.
You won't be able to get into vet school via clearing without an interview being offered, and without the required grades there's almost a 0% chance of you gaining a place at a vet school unfortunately.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (374)
59.08%
Yes- I don't like it (34)
5.37%
No- I want it (180)
28.44%
No- I don't want it (45)
7.11%

Watched Threads