The Student Room Group

How fast do you progress up the pay scale? (NHS)

I have a question which I don't seem to find an answer to.

How fast to you generally progress thorough the pay scale as a nurse? Do you go up every year? or is it dependent on experience?

I've read that most nurses stay on band 5 most of their career, may I ask why that's the case if they have a chance to progress? I'm personally planning to do masters when I can, I believe it's 2 years post reg at least, will that allow me to progress faster? (I know that not everyone wants to do masters:smile:)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rnv
I have a question which I don't seem to find an answer to.

How fast to you generally progress thorough the pay scale as a nurse? Do you go up every year? or is it dependent on experience?

I've read that most nurses stay on band 5 most of their career, may I ask why that's the case if they have a chance to progress? I'm personally planning to do masters when I can, I believe it's 2 years post reg at least, will that allow me to progress faster? (I know that not everyone wants to do masters:smile:)

Many nurses started their careers late as nursing was a second career for them. A lot of nursing students are indeed mature students so that could be a factor. People have other commitments outside of work which they value more than career progression.

But it is true that there is a lot of possibility for progression if that is what you wish to do. I don't remember who it was but there is a poster on here who is currently a band 8 nurse a few years post registration. I may be wrong but I think he/she graduated about 6 years ago.
Original post by comebackseason
Many nurses started their careers late as nursing was a second career for them. A lot of nursing students are indeed mature students so that could be a factor. People have other commitments outside of work which they value more than career progression.

But it is true that there is a lot of possibility for progression if that is what you wish to do. I don't remember who it was but there is a poster on here who is currently a band 8 nurse a few years post registration. I may be wrong but I think he/she graduated about 6 years ago.

Yes I saw that as well, it was on the salary thread:smile: thank you!
Pay increments are yearly :smile: you used to get them automatically, the nhs trust I work at has now said staff must apply for the increments and it's based on whether all your training is up to date. Good way to make sure everyone is up to date I guess!
2 in the first year one after that. then unless your promoted you top out.at £28,462
Reply 5
A band 6 nurse is a senior staff nurse/sister, are much more experience and can have roles such as running the ward.

There is a pay increase, even if you stay a band 5, just search for the agenda for change pay scale if you want to know what current pay is like xx
Pay rises have been capped by the government for the last 7 years at 1% or less. This is less than the rate of inflation, meaning many nurses get a real terms-pay cut each year. The royal college of nursing is holding a protest against the pay cap in September, and may ballot nurses later in the year on whether or not they want to go on strike over it.
smile your mistaking the incremental pay and standard pay. im stuck at the top of band 5 so my only increase has been the 1% or 0 increase. before you top out you get about 900 extra a year. if you pass the interview with your line manager. the two are not the same. its how the tories tried to claim nurses were getting 4% a year.
Sorry my post was not clear, I understand the difference between incremental and standard pay, I just think it's important to recognise that incremental pay does have a ceiling and many band 5 nurses will hit it and stay at it, meaning real term pay-cuts from then on year after year.
Nursing students should be aware of how their pay prospects have dwindled so significantly over the last 7 years and sadly nursing is now severely underpaid as a profession, hence the recruitment/rentention crisis, massive vacancies countrywide and nurses using foodbanks.
i agree completely. the other trick thats being used up here is the down banding of roles. what was a 7 is being done by a 6 and some 6 roles by 5s. this saves the board a fortune/ ours has just spent 50.000 on a time and motion company. they claim we can run just as well with 5 fewer staff. that figure would see district nursing collapse they are complaining about doing preventative care. but ever more data bases to fill out.
Original post by Smile88egc
Pay rises have been capped by the government for the last 7 years at 1% or less. This is less than the rate of inflation, meaning many nurses get a real terms-pay cut each year. The royal college of nursing is holding a protest against the pay cap in September, and may ballot nurses later in the year on whether or not they want to go on strike over it.

completely ignoring incremental progression and unsocial hours payments as usual , and of course the NHS pension which even if you iare in the CARE part of the scheme is still massively better than anythign the private sector offers ...

'real terms pay cut' is magic money tree talk
Original post by zippyRN
completely ignoring incremental progression and unsocial hours payments as usual , and of course the NHS pension which even if you iare in the CARE part of the scheme is still massively better than anythign the private sector offers ...

We both know that incremental pay is only available to those new to a band, so are you saying that once a band 5 nurse is 7 or 8 years qualified that they deserve a real terms pay cut every year for the rest of their career?

What do you mean by your "magic money tree" catchphrase? The UK spends significantly less as a percentage of GDP on healthcare compared to similar western nations. It's a myth that the government cannot afford to pay nurses properly, the truth is that they are choosing to spend funding elsewhere.
Austerity measures such as freezing nursing pay, are a political choice, not a neccessity.
I believe people will vote with their feet, and they are. Huge drop in nursing applicants this year.
We both know that incremental pay is only available to those new to a band, so are you saying that once a band 5 nurse is 7 or 8 years qualified that they deserve a real terms pay cut every year for the rest of their career?

What do you mean by your "magic money tree" catchphrase? The UK spends significantly less as a percentage of GDP on healthcare compared to similar western nations. It's a myth that the government cannot afford to pay nurses properly, the truth is that they are choosing to spend funding elsewhere.
Austerity measures such as freezing nursing pay, are a political choice, not a neccessity.
I believe people will vote with their feet, and they are. Huge drop in nursing applicants this year.

'real terms pay cut' is magic money tree talk as it as usual for the economic illiterates on the left it relies on pulling figures out of their backsides. it;s also ignorign that outside of the mess that Brown left the economy in , nursign pay has usually kept up , especially if you look at package value rather than purely the headline basic wage.

drop in applicants is a gain due to the lies of the activist left , we have seen similar dips in HE applications before.

you also seem to be unwilling to accept that most RNs are paid in excess of the Median Average wage and with unsocial hours payments this occurs within a couple of years of entry , rather than 5 or 6 years if you take the basic pay.

there is a lot of media rhetoric from the left about how nurses are paid the starting salary and how dreadful this is ... it forgets incremental pay, unscoial hours and the absolute Bargain the NHS pension scheme is even with changes making less generous than it has been in the past.

it;s a fact the left don;t like that many RNs are in fact earning 150% of what is being claimed ... my last full year in the NHS was about 5 years ago ( firmly into the austerity period) and my P60 top line was in excess of 33k as a band 5 outside London and that was on a typical inpatient unit rotational shift pattern.

peopel also forget that during the worst of the failure of brown to deliver his promised 'abolition' of boom and bust the NHS was locked into a multi year inflation busting deal which had been done as a sop to shut Unison and Unite up .

The elephant in the room over retention and recruitment is the bullying and not fit for purpose so called leaders ... that demographic timebomb needs to go ff and we can be rid of the under educated , ritualised , out of touch traditional trained Nurses who still dominate management ... the reverse skills and knowledge gradient in Nursing is very clear ...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Pretty sure at the moment you start out getting paid f*** all and eventually you'll work your way up to earning sweet F.A
You've not really answered my questions. You referred to my point about real-terms pay cuts as "magic money tree talk", you then explained this to mean "pulling figures from their backsides". What figures would those be? Do you dispute that average nursing salaries have fallen over the last 7 years when inflation is taken into account?

You've then called my point about a drop in applicants "the lies of the activist left", do you think there has not been a huge drop in applications to study nursing?
I have not at any point suggested, or been unable to accept that nurses earn more than the median wage. I think they bloody well should do, it's a tremendously difficult career requiring a rare combination of vocational skill, degree level qualification, compassion and commitment.
My own experience working with nurses in today's NHS is that they are underpaid for the amazing value they add to patient care.
Original post by zippyRN
'real terms pay cut' is magic money tree talk as it as usual for the economic illiterates on the left it relies on pulling figures out of their backsides. it;s also ignorign that outside of the mess that Brown left the economy in , nursign pay has usually kept up , especially if you look at package value rather than purely the headline basic wage.

drop in applicants is a gain due to the lies of the activist left , we have seen similar dips in HE applications before.

you also seem to be unwilling to accept that most RNs are paid in excess of the Median Average wage and with unsocial hours payments this occurs within a couple of years of entry , rather than 5 or 6 years if you take the basic pay.

there is a lot of media rhetoric from the left about how nurses are paid the starting salary and how dreadful this is ... it forgets incremental pay, unscoial hours and the absolute Bargain the NHS pension scheme is even with changes making less generous than it has been in the past.

it;s a fact the left don;t like that many RNs are infact earning 150% of what is being claimed ... my last full year in the NHS was about 5 years ago ( firmly into the auterity period) and my P60 topc line was in excess of 33k as a band 5 outside London and that was on a typical inpatient unit rotational shift pattern.

peopel also forget that during the worst of the failure of brown to deliver his promised 'abolition' of boom and bust the NHS was locked into a multi year inflation busting deal which had been done as a sop to shut Unison and Unite up .

The elephant in the room over retnetion and recruitment is the bullying and not fit for purpose so called leaders ... that demographic timebomb needs to go ff and we can be rid of the under educated , ritualised , out of touch traditional trained Nurses who still dominate management ... the reverse skills and knowledge gradient in Nursing is very clear ...

Do you no longer work in the NHS?
Original post by zippyRN

Ok then why is that countries with publicly funded healthcare like Canada can afford to pay their nurses significantly more than the UK.

New graduate RN pay is $31/hr and increases each year topping out after 8 years at $45/hr... no where near the same pay as UK trained nurses
You've not really answered my questions. You referred to my point about real-terms pay cuts as "magic money tree talk", you then explained this to mean "pulling figures from their backsides". What figures would those be? Do you dispute that average nursing salaries have fallen over the last 7 years when inflation is taken into account?

You've then called my point about a drop in applicants "the lies of the activist left", do you think there has not been a huge drop in applications to study nursing?
I have not at any point suggested, or been unable to accept that nurses earn more than the median wage. I think they bloody well should do, it's a tremendously difficult career requiring a rare combination of vocational skill, degree level qualification, compassion and commitment.
My own experience working with nurses in today's NHS is that they are underpaid for the amazing value they add to patient care.

Nursing applicants have indeed dropped dramatically, nursing normally never went into clearing now almost every uni offering the course is currently in clearing.

DMU
Staffordshire
SHU
Coventry
Cumbria

are just some that are in clearing
its not difficult to see why a student will opt for a different future. first a nurse does not earn massively over the average wage in 2015 it was £27,600 so apart from the very top band 5s nurses are paid below average pay. the median starting salary for graduates is £30,000 so a nurses are not paid over the average wage they are paid badly in comparison. f we add the unpaid overtime and untaken meal breaks that figure should be higher. i know in my case im working 4-5 hours each week unpaid. im working at a level 6 and paid as a 5.

paying a decent wages promotes the growth of the economy. it simple the more money circulating in the economy the more is bought and the take for the government increases. stopping pay causes a contraction in cash circulation. more money being saved and a lower take for the tax man. unless zippy is on the earlier pension scheme its not as great as it was. m paying 9.3% towards my pension.
bin men in Birmingham were earning 45000 a year in 2011, a postie gets upto 24000.
we then see the sudden imposition of student loans for both tuition and living costs. they are faced with a bill just short of £50000.that will be deducted at 9% of there wage ithat added 9%is basically an extra 10% pay cut. they have made it compulsory to have a degree then they make us pay for it. and we sit back and allow them. so a newly qualified nurses in 3 years time will in real terms be down 24% that it getting to the point of piss taking.
Original post by justme13
Nursing applicants have indeed dropped dramatically, nursing normally never went into clearing now almost every uni offering the course is currently in clearing.

DMU
Staffordshire
SHU
Coventry
Cumbria

are just some that are in clearing

Nursing has been in clearing for the past couple of years, including RG unis like Southampton

Edit: in fact, most courses are in clearing
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending