The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxbridge?

Hi, I was planning on applying to Oxbridge for maths for 2018 entry, however, will my GCSE grades be enough? (1A* 5A's 4B's) Most people applying there have 10A*'s and so on.
Personally, I'd apply to Cambridge as GCSEs don't have much regard there: they're more holistic both pre and post interview. Oxford tend to require mostly A*/A at GCSE. However, a Cambridge offer is harder to meet because of STEP
Reply 2
Original post by lmaofailure
Hi, I was planning on applying to Oxbridge for maths for 2018 entry, however, will my GCSE grades be enough? (1A* 5A's 4B's) Most people applying there have 10A*'s and so on.

For maths at Oxford, GCSEs don't count anywhere near as much as performance on the MAT. Your GCSEs are worse than the average (~6A*s) but they are nothing that can't be compensated for by a slightly better MAT.
Original post by AnIndianGuy
Personally, I'd apply to Cambridge as GCSEs don't have much regard there: they're more holistic both pre and post interview. Oxford tend to require mostly A*/A at GCSE. However, a Cambridge offer is harder to meet because of STEP

Hi! I'm also gonna apply to oxbridge this year, having taken STEP 1/2/3. I'm expecting to get s/s/1 or 1/s/1. Is it good enough? (I'm an international)Should I switch to ox instead?:colonhash:
Original post by southpacific
Hi! I'm also gonna apply to oxbridge this year, having taken STEP 1/2/3. I'm expecting to get s/s/1 or 1/s/1. Is it good enough? (I'm an international)Should I switch to ox instead?:colonhash:

Cambridge care more about STEP, as it's one of their offer requirements, Oxford care about MAT.

Stick to Cambridge
Several colleges at Cambridge do consider GCSE profile for Maths as I understand for selecting for interview. Post-interview I believe it's not highly weighted, as the interview performance and reference/AS results will provide more of an indication, with STEP as a discriminator when it comes to accepting students who have narrow misses in their offers.

Either way, GCSEs are likely mainly going to be used in determining who to interview, if they have more applicants who otherwise meet the profile than they can reasonably interview. It's not a very good indicator of performance in higher mathematics by any means, which they are likely more than aware of

@Doonesbury might be able to give some more specific advice about Cambridge, or at least confirm if the above otherwise! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Several colleges at Cambridge do consider GCSE profile for Maths as I understand for selecting for interview. Post-interview I believe it's not highly weighted, as the interview performance and reference/AS results will provide more of an indication, with STEP as a discriminator when it comes to accepting students who have narrow misses in their offers.

Either way, GCSEs are likely mainly going to be used in determining who to interview, if they have more applicants who otherwise meet the profile than they can reasonably interview. It's not a very good indicator of performance in higher mathematics by any means, which they are likely more than aware of

@Doonesbury might be able to give some more specific advice about Cambridge, or at least confirm if the above otherwise! :smile:

Nah GCSEs really aren't that important at Cambridge. They interview approx 75%, basically anyone with a reasonable chance of getting the offer. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by southpacific

if you have STEP grades of that level, with A-levels or equivalent to match, you may get an unconditional offer from Cambridge after interview. Or you might get an S in any STEP requirement (to ensure you keep up your maths).
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest