The Student Room Group

Biomedicine help !!

Hey guys,
I'm not yet quite sure but I'm planning to study biomedicine at uni and I was just wondering if I do the biomedicine course for the 3 year course would I need to do a masters in order to get a job ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nisha.sri
Hey guys,
I'm not yet quite sure but I'm planning to study biomedicine at uni and I was just wondering if I do the biomedicine course for the 3 year course would I need to do a masters in order to get a job ?

It depends on the kind of job you're looking to apply for. But the job prospects after a biomedical degree are often around 60%.

These are some of the jobs that people enter into after getting a biomedical degree: ''Laboratory scientist in forensic, pathology, veterinary, toxicology or haematology laboratory. Research in academic, pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors''

Hope this helps
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by games211
It depends on the kind of job you're looking to apply for. But the job prospects after a biomedical degree are often in mid 90%s.

These are some of the jobs that people enter into after getting a biomedical degree: Laboratory scientist in forensic, pathology, veterinary, toxicology or haematology laboratory. Research in academic, pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors

Hope this helps

So if I wanted to work at a hospital as a biomedical scientist would I need to do a masters
So if I wanted to work at a hospital as a biomedical scientist would I need to do a masters

The short answer would be no but ofcourse there are exceptions.

Have a look at this link: https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/biomedical-scientist#entry-requirements
(edited 6 years ago)

Have you looked at the new NHS training programmes for scientists?
Original post by Reality Check
Have you looked at the new NHS training programmes for scientists?

Nope
Nope

I think you need to have a read of this:

http://www.nshcs.hee.nhs.uk/join-programme/nhs-scientist-training-programme

Highly relevant to your plans. :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
I think you need to have a read of this:

http://www.nshcs.hee.nhs.uk/join-programme/nhs-scientist-training-programme

Highly relevant to your plans. :smile:

Thank you x
Thank you x

You're welcome :smile:
Is biomedicine similar to biomedical science ?
Original post by bobby147

Yh same thing i think :h:

Yes. Biomedical science is often a degree, and biomedicine is a sector of work.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yh same thing i think :h:

What are you hoping to do with the degree when you are finished ?
What university do are you hoping to study at :smile:?
Original post by games211
It depends on the kind of job you're looking to apply for. But the job prospects after a biomedical degree are often in mid 90%s.

These are some of the jobs that people enter into after getting a biomedical degree: ''Laboratory scientist in forensic, pathology, veterinary, toxicology or haematology laboratory. Research in academic, pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors''

Hope this helps

What do you mean in mid 90s?
Your personal opinions on the job prospects ?
Do you think the market for biomedical scientists is saturated ?
@TraineeBMS can provide a lot more information about NHS Biomedical Scientists.
First of all I would like to say that as someone has been a biomedical scientist within the NHS including agency work for the past 6/7 years I would not recommend this as a career to anyone, for various reasons. Before you sign up for a biomed degree please read this thread to get a realistic view of the job (ignore the silly title, the content is very good) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2962619 I myself am retraining on the STP as a clinical scientist, and would advise anyone who is considering becoming a BMS to look at other options first.

If you are still keen to become a BMS then you should make sure first of all that your BSc is accredited by the IBMS, this is the institution who basically set the standards for degrees, training and CPD so that you can become and remain registered with the HCPC. You have a few routes available to you as far as I know (things have changed a bit since I did my degree in 2008), you can either do your degree through the NHS PTP: http://www.nshcs.hee.nhs.uk/ptp-join/nhs-practitioner-training-programme and obtain state registration with the IBMS upon graduation and begin working as a band 5 BMS, this is by far the easiest and best option.

Another option (I'm not sure if they still do this after the PTP was brought in) is do an accredited degree on it's own and (try to) obtain a year long placement during uni where you train in an NHS lab and complete you registration portfolio, so that you can then obtain state registration upon graduating and start work.

The last option (which I do not recommend) is you do a biomed degree which is not accredited. You will not be able to get a training year whilst at uni, as you will not be able to do your registration portfolio until you have completed top up modules after you have graduated. You will then have to either find a trainee BMS job (these are like gold dust and are very rarely good roles imo) or you will work as lab assistant and hope the lab agrees for you to do your training and registration portfolio. I do not recommend this option because:

1. Top up modules
2. Trainee roles are like gold dust and more often than not you are treated as a glorified lab assistant and receive minimal training or are rushed through your training to start night shifts and lone working before you're ready and have the required skills, knowledge and experience.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
What do you mean in mid 90s?
Your personal opinions on the job prospects ?
Do you think the market for biomedical scientists is saturated ?

I am so sorry, I made a typo. I meant 60%+

There's a table at the bottom of this page explaining it more: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biomedical-sciences
(edited 6 years ago)
Laura has covered most of what I would normally say. Definitely have a look at the NHS PTP that she suggested, that's the fastest route and has higher employability than any other route. Employment statistics are higher for that route.

I will add that not everyone feels the way Laura feels in the profession. Many do, yes. Working in the NHS is not easy. The pay is not reflective of our skill, but happiness is varied between disciplines. The loss of massive unsocial hours payments in Biochemistry has made a lot unhappy there.
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but here it goes. I am hoping to study Bsc Biomedical Science, but I am worried about accreditation. I have my eye on this particular course that I really like the structure of, but it is not accredited by the IBMS. I have heard about this 3 year graduate scheme offered by the NHS called "Scientist Training Programme" is there any way I could do my unaccredited BMS degree and then enroll on the programme to become a registered biomedical scientist? I know the course is designed for clinical scientists, but I am confused about the difference between a "biomedical scientist" and "Clinical Scientist" can anybody help?

Also does the biomedical science degree need to be accredited to do the Scientist Training Programme
Original post by OwlOfFire
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but here it goes. I am hoping to study Bsc Biomedical Science, but I am worried about accreditation. I have my eye on this particular course that I really like the structure of, but it is not accredited by the IBMS. I have heard about this 3 year graduate scheme offered by the NHS called "Scientist Training Programme" is there any way I could do my unaccredited BMS degree and then enroll on the programme to become a registered biomedical scientist? I know the course is designed for clinical scientists, but I am confused about the difference between a "biomedical scientist" and "Clinical Scientist" can anybody help?

Also does the biomedical science degree need to be accredited to do the Scientist Training Programme

A Clinical Scientist is above a Biomedical Scientist. It's the middle ground between a BMS and a Medical Consultant. The STP is very competitive (as competitive as medicine). You only need a scientific UG degree. If you want to be a Biomedical Scientist then you need to do BSc Healthcare Science (the PTP) as it includes accreditation AND registration with the HCPC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending