The Student Room Group

Will AMD Ryzen be the game changer? many said its better than Intel

I have a few friends who bought it and they said they are very satisfied with it. Its more or less similar to intel pentium but half its price. only problem is it overheats easily.

Anyone here tried Ryzen?
Original post by HucktheForde
I have a few friends who bought it and they said they are very satisfied with it. Its more or less similar to intel pentium but half its price. only problem is it overheats easily.

Anyone here tried Ryzen?

Your friends' description of Ryzen makes zero sense- it's a series of processors and not a single processor, they're all more expensive higher tier processors than the Pentium line, only the newest and cheapest Ryzen 3 processors are remotely similar to the Pentium in performance because the rest are all way more powerful, and the Ryzen series CPUs have gotten a lot of praise for their efficiency and thermals. It sounds like your friends have bought older series of AMD processors if they're cheaper than Pentiums and struggle with overheating, or they simply don't have a clue what they're talking about and probably licked off their thermal paste or something.

But yeah, Ryzen have been a game changer. Every processor in the lineup offers excellent performance compared to their Intel equivalents at their respective price points. Intel's processors generally have an edge in single threaded performance but the gap is small at most price points and as optimising for as many cores and threads as possible gets more popular the advantages of Ryzen are going to keep growing.
I am pretty sure he praised ryzen for being able to compete with intel in terms of performance while being half its price.
I am pretty sure he praised ryzen for being able to compete with intel in terms of performance while being half its price.

That bit is true, a £150 Ryzen 1400 can compete handily against a £300 Core i7 7700K in multicore workloads for example, it's fact that they compared them to the Pentium series and mentioned overheating problems that makes no sense.
well if so thats the case why did you say ryzen series are all more expensive except R3?

also would you recommend me to give ryzen a try for my next desktop? i am currently using i5 and will be buying something similar.
Ryzen 3 is essentially an i5 for the price of an i3 with overclocking capabilities. Versus a locked i5, it's a no brainer.
(edited 6 years ago)
well if so thats the case why did you say ryzen series are all more expensive except R3?

All more expensive than the Pentium series that your friends apparently compared them to. The Pentium processors are all £40-£90, with the most popular models coming around £65. The R3 1200 is the cheapest Ryzen series processor at approximately£100.

also would you recommend me to give ryzen a try for my next desktop? i am currently using i5 and will be buying something similar.

It depends on your overall budget and what you'll be using your new desktop for. If you can give me a budget I can spec out a rough parts list for you.
Game changer? Possibly. AMD is back in the game though and im hoping it makes Intel respond and stop milking everyone for its virtual monopoly.

AMD is slightly slower and less overclockable than intel, so lags slightly on a single core shoot out, but AMD gives you more cores for less money so RYZEN is much better at most productivity activities that can take advantage of multiple cores. Old AMD were know for being power hungry but Ryzen runs pretty cool .
AMD single core performance is slightly worse that the Intel counter parts but has dramatically improved over previous years. In a lot of cases the Ryzen chips are on par and some times beating the Intel chips. It comes down the software used it may not be well optimised for multiple cores in which case the Intel cpu will perform better. AMD look to be competitive again and the new line of CPU's are an actual alternative to Intel. From what I can remember AMD have done some clever things in how the cores are arranged to keep temperatures lower.

I'm actually more interested in Threadripper and EPYC series of CPU's.

It's going to be an interesting few years as Intel fell asleep at the wheel.

It will have been the intel i series processors.

The top end Ryzen 7 8 core 16 thread processors are monsters if you do anything that is heavily threaded like video editing. The low-end Ryzen 3 also compete really well against the i3.

But single core performance still isn't on par with intel which means intel is still king for games.
so you are saying that AMD ryzen is more expensive than intel Pentium but less expensive than intel i3 i5 i7???

I thought i3 i5 i7 and intel Pentium are the same thing, no wonder I mixed them up.

if I am going to buy a new pc (be it laptop or desktop) and I am using it to surf internet, watch stock market, bet on betfair, do python/R programming and some SQL, do a lot of excel work (2-3 workbook open at once with 5-10k rows of data). And the only games I play is dota 2 and CS:GO, nothing more. I don't play high end games, I don't do high end video/photo editing.

What kind of spec should I be going for to be optimum ?
so you are saying that AMD ryzen is more expensive than intel Pentium but less expensive than intel i3 i5 i7???

I thought i3 i5 i7 and intel Pentium are the same thing, no wonder I mixed them up.

if I am going to buy a new pc (be it laptop or desktop) and I am using it to surf internet, watch stock market, bet on betfair, do python/R programming and some SQL, do a lot of excel work (2-3 workbook open at once with 5-10k rows of data). And the only games I play is dota 2 and CS:GO, nothing more. I don't play high end games, I don't do high end video/photo editing.

Are you looking to buy or build a computer?
Original post by 152mmOfDerp
Are you looking to buy or build a computer?

buy or pay someone to build it for me

Here are the rough price brackets for all.of their chips:
Pentium: £40-£90
Core i3: £100-£150
Core i5: £150-250
Core i7: £250-£1000
Core i9: £800+

Ryzen 3: £100-£120
Ryzen 5: £150-£220
Ryzen 7: £250-£500

No, each is the name of a different tier of processors.

You only need something low end, something like the Pentium G4560 processor (the G4560 is basically a Core i3 at a much cheaper price) and a GTX 1050 graphics card would meet your needs nicely. You'd be looking at about £400 if you bought the parts yourself, or upwards £500 for a ready-made system and that's probably gonna have a have crappy components choices in the places they can afford to skimp like the power supply.

For a laptop with a GTX 1050 you're going to be looking in the £600-800 range.

Don't pay someone to do.it, give it a go yourself. It's like adult Lego, all the pieces only fit in one way and unless you're being seriously negligent it's very difficult to break anything. If you've got friends who talk about the impact of Ryzen on the pc market, odds are at least one of them knows how and enjoys building PCs and would be able to help you if you asked. Pay them with a six pack of beer and make a day of it.

Well, for your work, you you only really need a Ryzen 3 + GTX 1050 which you can't find much of due to how new Ryzen is. You could go with a G4560 which is essentially an i3 as it has the same number of cores and threads but only runs 200MHz slower (practically nothing in real world performance) but I feel 4 cores will last much longer than a dual core Pentium (even if it does have Hyperthreading). 8GB of RAM should be enough unless you are already maxing out 8GB on your current system.

Are you sure you can't build it yourself? It's really just a case of plugging/screwing the components in then wiring it up. If you can give me a budget to work with and the price of getting someone else to build it for you if you really don't want to build it yourself, I can make a rough list or find a PC somewhere that will fit your needs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending