The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by themight
Thank you! Economics!

In that case, you'd definitely have some maths problems, as well as questions inviting you to apply your broader knowledge of economic issues, and probably current affairs, where these are interrelated :smile:
Original post by 6764
Many thanks for answering. That's a really encouraging response but I was surprised as most colleges I'd phoned said that with A*A*B, the B would mean they were very unlikely to consider me. Was wondering if you knew if Christ's is the only college that is more understanding?

I imagine there would be others, yes, and I'm a little surprised that you got that response if you are effectively two Maths module re-takes short of A*A*A. Could you PM me your UMS/module scores and I'll try to give you a more informed opinion?
Original post by JackNott
Hello!

I was wondering (after reading that it is recognised that non-GCSE qualifications like the IB Middle Year program are internally assessed) whether it is recognised that in the German equivalent of Sixth Form all the grades achieved apart from the final Abitur exam are also internally assessed? I am asking because I feel that in one subject that is relevant to the course I want to apply to, my grade for class participation has been unfair and pulled my grade from this semester down to 13 points (instead of at least the required 14 points I was hoping to achieve)

We certainly know that at Christ's, yes. (I've actually written an FAQ for German applicants, which I'll try to get up on our website some time!)
Hi, I've heard about 'flags' in your application - I was wondering what these are and how they are taken into account. Thank you!
If I was applying for physical natsci and I'd done my a-level maths a year early but missed out on the A* by a small number of ums by not doing as well as usual on c4, would I be considered for an offer if I retook c4 next year alongside all my further maths modules (assuming I'd done well on most of my other modules)? Partly asking for me as well as my friend who I sit next to in maths who is applying to same course and may be in that situation.
Reply 105
Original post by Christ's Admissions
I imagine there would be others, yes, and I'm a little surprised that you got that response if you are effectively two Maths module re-takes short of A*A*A. Could you PM me your UMS/module scores and I'll try to give you a more informed opinion?

Ok great, sent them over!
We do put some emphasis on predicted grades, but would weigh them against other evidence in determining who to invite to interview (and bear in mind that we interview around 80% of our applicants, so your chances of showing us what you can do, in person, are quite high!) So there might be an issue if your school was predicting you BBB, say, but if they are predicting that you will achieve within one or two grades of our standard offer, and you do reasonably in any pre-interview assessment, then you would almost certainly be shortlisted. Past the interview stage, predictions are less relevant, as we tend to formulate our own judgement.

Thank you for your reply!
Hi there,

I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths and I am planning on applying to biological Natural Science. Some colleges advise to keep further maths but what is Christ's college's opinion on dropping AS further maths?

Thank you for doing this!
We certainly know that at Christ's, yes. (I've actually written an FAQ for German applicants, which I'll try to get up on our website some time!)

Thank you for replying! A FAQ for German applicants would be certainly very useful.
Do you think that most colleges are aware of that or does it make sense to specifically ask the all the other ones I am interested in?
Thank you very much Christ's Admissions.
Hi, I was just wondering if reapplying to the same college, which you get rejected from in the previous year, be wise? Thanks in advance for your reply!
Original post by bonnie_x
Hi, I've heard about 'flags' in your application - I was wondering what these are and how they are taken into account. Thank you!

We have "flags" for a variety of contextual factors (all of which apply to UK applicants, and some of which apply to all applicants): (i) whether an applicant has been in care; (ii) whether they come from an area where there is low progression to Higher Education; (iii) whether they come from an area which is socio-economically disadvantaged; (iv) whether they come from a school with low average GCSE performance; (v) whether they come from a school which sends very few students to Oxford and Cambridge; (vi) whether there are "extenuating circumstances" specific to this individual, e.g. familial disruption, bereavement, disability etc.

We use these in various ways, the most significant of which is probably to help determine academic potential in instances where we are making fine distinctions between individuals with otherwise very similar profiles (let's say, for example, between two applicants with A*A*A at A-level, and 8888 at interview, one of whom has overcome serious hurdles and/or outperformed their school context, and the other of whom has not).
Original post by JackNott
Thank you for replying! A FAQ for German applicants would be certainly very useful.
Do you think that most colleges are aware of that or does it make sense to specifically ask the all the other ones I am interested in?

I suspect most if not all colleges are aware of it, but you could flag it up on your SAQ (Supplementary Application Questionnaire).
How many interviews is it typical to have for physical natural sciences and will all the interviews be for the same subject?
Original post by kishen111
Hi, I was just wondering if reapplying to the same college, which you get rejected from in the previous year, be wise? Thanks in advance for your reply!

I wouldn't recommend re-applying to the same college *for the same subject* unless you have received feedback from that college specifically encouraging you to do so and/or have significantly improved your academic profile in the interim (in which case I would recommend you check with them first).
Original post by black1blade
How many interviews is it typical to have for physical natural sciences and will all the interviews be for the same subject?

Most but not all colleges use two interviews for physical natural sciences (a small number use one, and a small number use three). The two interviews would typically focus on different disciplines (so you might have one with a Maths focus, and one with a Physics and/or Chemistry focus, say).
Would my GCSEs be sufficient for a competitive application A*AAAAAAAAC?
Would History, Literature, Politics, and Sociology be a weaker set of AS levels in comparison to History, Literature, RE, and Politics?

My course of choice would be either History or Law.
Original post by daisy746
Hi there,

I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths and I am planning on applying to biological Natural Science. Some colleges advise to keep further maths but what is Christ's college's opinion on dropping AS further maths?

Thank you for doing this!

The only real disadvantage to dropping AS Further Maths is that it narrows your choice of Maths options on the first year of our degree course. It won't disadvantage you at all at the application stage, and actually very few of our successful applicants for Biological Natural Sciences at Christ's have AS- or A-level Further Maths.
Most but not all colleges use two interviews for physical natural sciences (a small number use one, and a small number use three). The two interviews would typically focus on different disciplines (so you might have one with a Maths focus, and one with a Physics and/or Chemistry focus, say).

Are you allowed to request which subjects you will be interviewed for? Do you know which colleges use 3? (a maths, physics and chemistry interview would be great! :biggrin:)
Original post by Piña colada
Would my GCSEs be sufficient for a competitive application A*AAAAAAAAC?
Would History, Literature, Politics, and Sociology be a weaker set of AS levels in comparison to History, Literature, RE, and Politics?

My course of choice would be either History or Law.

Your chances of success with those GCSEs are lower than they might otherwise be, particularly if you secured them at a school where the average GCSE performance is much higher, but we do accept applicants every year with one or fewer A*s at GCSEs. So if your application is competitive in other respects (strong AS-levels, strong predictions, strong performance in a pre-interview assessment for History or at-interview assessment for Law), you might still be in with a chance.

I don't think it matters which of those AS-level combinations you take; the most important thing is your combination of subjects at A-level, and there I would recommend you take at least two out of History, Literature and RE.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending