The Student Room Group

GCSE computer science ocr- coding

I'm taking Computer Science for GCSEs but am really struggling with programming. Does anyone know what we are meant to do for the NEAs? Are we supposed to know how to create a website or just type up code? I'm really confused and would appreciate it if anyone knows what I should be learning for it.

Thanks...by the way, I'm doing Python

Scroll to see replies

I thought OCR gives you two programming scenarios for your NEAs and you had to code a solution for the two scenarios based on the tasks listed? Has your teacher not given you the two tasks yet? I was helping out a GCSE class last year with their OCR NEAs and the code required wasn't too difficult.

I'd have hoped that your teacher would have also at least taught you some Python programming skills to get you up and running, but if they haven't, check out these websites:

https://pythonschool.net/
https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python

Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
I thought OCR gives you two programming scenarios for your NEAs and you had to code a solution for the two scenarios based on the tasks listed? Has your teacher not given you the two tasks yet? I was helping out a GCSE class last year with their OCR NEAs and the code required wasn't too difficult.

I'd have hoped that your teacher would have also at least taught you some Python programming skills to get you up and running, but if they haven't, check out these websites:

https://pythonschool.net/
https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python

Good luck.

Thanks @Blue_Cow , unfortunately, my teacher hasn't taught me Python yet (I am in yr 11 in September). Do you know when we are told the tasks?- beginning of yr11 and if that is when we are told them, are those the ones for the actual GCSEs or just the mock? Thanks again!:biggrin:
Original post by Pintsize21
Thanks @Blue_Cow , unfortunately, my teacher hasn't taught me Python yet (I am in yr 11 in September). Do you know when we are told the tasks?- beginning of yr11 and if that is when we are told them, are those the ones for the actual GCSEs or just the mock? Thanks again!:biggrin:

I double checked the dates, and Ofqual (government body for regulating examinations) has asked all exam boards to impose additional controls on when to release the NEAs. This means your teacher will only get them on Sept 1st. You should get the tasks first thing back if your teacher is organized, hopefully!
Reply 4
I double checked the dates, and Ofqual (government body for regulating examinations) has asked all exam boards to impose additional controls on when to release the NEAs. This means your teacher will only get them on Sept 1st. You should get the tasks first thing back if your teacher is organized, hopefully!

Thank you so much! Just one more question...what is the most advanced thing we must learn for GCSE level programming? :biggrin:
Thank you so much! Just one more question...what is the most advanced thing we must learn for GCSE level programming? :biggrin:

The most complex thing I did at GCSE was doing GUI with Tkinter, but I'm fairly sure that was optional, so probably loops and arrays?
Reply 6
download.jpg
The most complex thing I did at GCSE was doing GUI with Tkinter, but I'm fairly sure that was optional, so probably loops and arrays?
download.jpg

Appreciated :biggrin:

Good luck with everything!
The the most complex thing I did at GCSE was doing GUI with Tkinter, but I'm fairly sure that was optional, so probably loops and arrays?

Yooo, that's nothing, I had to learn fricking regular expressions, hard affffff, still got 89/90 combined (y10 +11) for the course works tho by the good grace of God, so I'm fine.

Thinking is the hardest part.

What's NEAs?
Original post by Uranium Potato
Yooo, that's nothing, I had to learn fricking regular expressions, hard affffff, still got 89/90 combined (y10 +11) for the course works tho by the good grace of God, so I'm fine.

Your average GCSE CS student does not need to learn or use regex.

Out of curiosity, why did you have to do regex anyway?
Reply 11

The basics of RegEx are simple 😂
Original post by s4b3rt00th

What's NEAs?

Non exam assessments. Coursework pretty much.
Original post by IWMTom
The basics of RegEx are simple 😂

Let the guy bathe in his moment of glory, or I'm sure his god will smite us down seeing he seems so obsessed about it.
Original post by s4b3rt00th

What's NEAs?

NEA- non- exam assessment and I agree, thinking is very difficult :tongue:
Reply 15
Let the guy bathe in his moment of glory, or I'm sure his god will smite us down seeing he seems so obsessed about it.

Hahaha, savage

You did so well! Would you like to share any tips? :h:
I'm taking Computer Science for GCSEs but am really struggling with programming. Does anyone know what we are meant to do for the NEAs? Are we supposed to know how to create a website or just type up code? I'm really confused and would appreciate it if anyone knows what I should be learning for it.

Thanks...by the way, I'm doing Python

At my school we are doing Visual Basic not python
Original post by Ex-pert
At my school we are doing Visual Basic not python

I've heard of visual basic but my school has always preferred Python. What do you think of it? :smile:
I've heard of visual basic but my school has always preferred Python. What do you think of it? :smile:

There is a website called udemy where they have plenty of coding courses it costs a lot of money but currently they have a sale where all courses are only £10

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending