The Student Room Group

Selfstudy, with hopes to study maths (and/or computer science)

Maths and further maths seem fairly easy to study independently. However, the sciences (and presumably cs with programming projects) are most likely going to require labs which I will not have access to. In order to study maths and/or computer science at university, what other a level choices might be suitable for independent study so to gain admission to university?
Original post by Athematica
Maths and further maths seem fairly easy to study independently. However, the sciences (and presumably cs with programming projects) are most likely going to require labs which I will not have access to. In order to study maths and/or computer science at university, what other a level choices might be suitable for independent study so to gain admission to university?

Maths doesn't really make a difference. Further maths, economics would probably increase your chances, possibly even physics. But you should manage to get in some Universities at least with Maths. For computer science, you'd need computer science and maths really, although another IT course would be useful potentially, but not necessary.
I'd go with maths, further maths and either physics or an IT.

take physics if you genuinely have an interest for it. if you don't, take IT.

doing physics however will open your options much more if you decide to not study maths or computing
Reply 3
I'm not sure if the question was clear or understood. I will not have access to labs, sine I will not be studying at a college, and so the sciences seem unaccessible. Maths and further maths can be self-studied fairly easily, with only the exam centres to worry about at the end of the year. Most mathematics and computer science courses need 3 subjects to study. Which might be best?

Economics might be an option I hadn't considered.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4

Most unis only require A level Maths for CompSci courses. The other thing to consider is, of course, coursework components for subjects. The sciences have practicals which need to be passed and other subjects have NEAs. Of course, these are probably inaccessible for you. I also think you're underestimating FM. It is very difficult, especially FP3, so if you do end up doing FM, it's advisable that you avoid FP3 if possible.

You may want to look into econ and an essay-based subject.
Reply 5
Perhaps I'll study maths, further maths and add. further maths :biggrin:

Physics and IT seem like good choices
Reply 7
Fully disagree with that assessment :lol:
Perhaps I'll study maths, further maths and add. further maths :biggrin:

You do know maths is changing to a linear spec in September don't you?

HAve a look at degree courses you might be interested in - that might give you ideas about other subjects. Are you planning to do this on top of a college course?
Reply 9
As long as you study Maths & FM, the third subject is not quiet important. I would say you can pick any exam-assessed subject that interests you.
Economics is very good option, it might be easier to 'self-tech' compared with other heavy essay subjects like histroy etc...

If I remember correctly, the international exam board called CIE offers A-level CompSci without any coursework/project component though finding an exam centre for CIE is little harder than other UK exam boards.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IanZzz
As long as you study Maths & FM, the third subject is not quiet important. I would say you can pick any exam-assessed subject that interests you.
Economics is very good option, it might be easier to 'self-tech' compared with other heavy essay subjects like histroy etc...

If I remember correctly, the international exam board called CIE offers A-level CompSci without any coursework/project component though finding an exam centre for CIE is little harder than other UK exam boards.

Very useful to know. Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
You do know maths is changing to a linear spec in September don't you?

I do but I'm not sure what that will mean in terms of examination. For all intents and purposes, I'm ready to sit A Level maths now. I just haven't because I'm out of education.
I do but I'm not sure what that will mean in terms of examination. For all intents and purposes, I'm ready to sit A Level maths now. I just haven't because I'm out of education.

You can take the old modular spec next year and 2019 [last chance] but you need to look at the modules and see what you know. I'd suggest trying some past papers to see if you are ready now. Otherwise you need to look at the new spec and start that. It depends when you want to sit your A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest