The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AliceLewis
Can anynone please help me with this, I have a conditional offer for graduate entry medicine for Cambridge, the conditions were to complete my current MPhil which is def not an issue and to resit A level chemistry, because my previous one was over 7 years ago. I had received an A** back then. Hiwever, my mother is seriously ill with terminal brain cancer since November, and even though i was really well prepared for the exam, one of the 2 went very badly i think, because i was depressed and distracted and basically run out of time during the exam. the other one went ok i think. The condition is to get an A. I am not sure if i will achieve it and there is good chance i might miss it. I am extremenly anxious and frustrated, because I have worked for 2 years extremely hard to get into medicine, graduate entry cuz i cannot afford undergrad. I have worked every weekend in my past 2 and half years as carer, in NHS as HCA, i volunteered in many places, i graduated my BSc with 2:0 and my MPhil is going for distinction too, despite the horrible emotional circumstances i have been through these past few months, I do not know what to do, if i miss medicine, with my mother about to die it is the only think keeping me going, to study and do what i fought for all this time. I do not know if i have any hope to appeal or if there is any chanvce for me to get my offer. I feel is entirely unfair to be judged for my academic abilities when all my Alevel equivalents in Chemistry, Biology and Maths were A**< A* an A and I have Neuroscience BSc 2:0 with chemistry module which i received a first too, and an MPhil from cambrdige in genetcis, and to lose everything becuase i was distress on that single day. The reason i was distracted is cuz my mother got hospitalised 2 days before the exam, plus I had to pass 2 modules of my masters on the same week. I do not know how mamy ppl could cope better than i diid. please can anyone tell me if there is any hope in appealing or is it going to be a waste of effort, will they just listen and say, sorry you failed te grade you lose the offer thats it/ what should i do? i acant sleep i am anxious and feel awful, hating myself...

Have you submitted ECF forms with whatever requisite evidence (if any is needed?) to Cambridge? If so, then they'll take your performance into consideration. If not, I suggest emailing your admissions department ASAP asking about how to submit an ECF. i'm sorry to hear about your situation and best of luck with everything.
Original post by Zacken
Have you submitted ECF forms with whatever requisite evidence (if any is needed?) to Cambridge? If so, then they'll take your performance into consideration. If not, I suggest emailing your admissions department ASAP asking about how to submit an ECF. i'm sorry to hear about your situation and best of luck with everything.

Thanks for the reply... I have not submitted the form yet because results are not officially out yet...theyre out in 2 weeks. I have spoken to head of admissions, i told her I thought i did badly in one exam and they are aware of my situation since May because i requested extension on my dissertation to travel home etc. but I do not know if it could actually make a difference in their decision due to my circumstances, or if it is a total waste of effort and i should not have any hope left...i am really depressed about the whole situation, becoming a doctor was the only thing keeping me strong and going... and I do not know anyone who would lose such an offer due one alevel exam, i feel like a total loser..

I'm pretty sure you need to submit the form BEFORE results come out. The uni gets the results a few days before you do, and makes their decisions on many of the near miss candidates during those days. Your information needs to be sitting ready for the day the Uni gets the results, so they can make a decision based on all info.

Find one of the Ask and Admissions Tutor threads and ask in there, they will give you the best info.
Reply 3943
Thanks for the reply... I have not submitted the form yet because results are not officially out yet...theyre out in 2 weeks. I have spoken to head of admissions, i told her I thought i did badly in one exam and they are aware of my situation since May because i requested extension on my dissertation to travel home etc. but I do not know if it could actually make a difference in their decision due to my circumstances, or if it is a total waste of effort and i should not have any hope left...i am really depressed about the whole situation, becoming a doctor was the only thing keeping me strong and going... and I do not know anyone who would lose such an offer due one alevel exam, i feel like a total loser..

Original post by threeportdrift
I'm pretty sure you need to submit the form BEFORE results come out. The uni gets the results a few days before you do, and makes their decisions on many of the near miss candidates during those days. Your information needs to be sitting ready for the day the Uni gets the results, so they can make a decision based on all info.

Find one of the Ask and Admissions Tutor threads and ask in there, they will give you the best info.

Yes - ECFs can only help if they are provided before decisions are taken!

OP, I suggest asking in the Lucy Cavendish hosted thread. And including some paragraphs might help too :wink:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4847762
I was going to ask a similar question.... I know that they prefer circumstances reported to exam boards?? Is this true?

Is this still possible as some of my research suggests it can only be done within a few days of the last exam, in which case I've missed.

Thanks

Original post by Doonesbury

OP, I suggest asking in the Lucy Cavendish hosted thread. And including some paragraphs might help too :wink:
Reply 3945

Re my comment.
xxx..

I see you already asked Christ's in their thread. As you have since mentioned you are in touch with your college (Hughes) that's who you need to deal with really.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3946
Original post by Xphoenix
I was going to ask a similar question.... I know that they prefer circumstances reported to exam boards?? Is this true?

Is this still possible as some of my research suggests it can only be done within a few days of the last exam, in which case I've missed.

Thanks

It's always a good idea to notify your college about any extenuating circumstances sooner rather than later. It's probably best to come from your referee.
I see you already asked Christ's. As you have since mentioned you are in touch with your college that's who you need to deal with really.

thanks for the support guys,really appreciate it deeply... here is the only place i can freely express how i feel...
It's always a good idea to notify your college about any extenuating circumstances sooner rather than later. It's probably best to come from your referee.

Yes I understand that it is best to come from a referee. I found the ECF form that was used pre-interview, Should I ask my referee to fill that in as that ensures all information is provided? or should he just send a direct email?
Reply 3949
Original post by Xphoenix
Yes I understand that it is best to come from a referee. I found the ECF form that was used pre-interview, Should I ask my referee to fill that in as that ensures all information is provided? or should he just send a direct email?

I suspect it doesn't much matter. If the form helps use it :smile:
Reply 3950
Tompkins has just been published:
https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/13371#tompkins

#1 Trinity
#2 Christ's (w00t! :smile: )
#3 John's
#4 Pembroke
#5 Churchill

The two highest climbers are Caius and LucyCav - both up 8 places from last year.
Downing is biggest faller - down 8 from last year.

Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
Good morning all

On the morning of results day (assuming a missed offer) do the colleges want raw marks sent over or UMS marks ? And do we have to contact our college for those at 9am (what a bunfight that'll be) or are they sent to us with the grades (in my case online) at 6-7am. I'm trying to figure out what my strategy in terms of contacting my college will have to be in the case of a slightly missed offer. Thanks in anticipation 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3952
Original post by blazing11
Good morning all

On the morning of results day (assuming a missed offer) do the colleges want raw marks sent over or UMS marks ? And do we have to contact our college for those at 9am (what a bunfight that'll be) or are they sent to us with the grades (in my case online) at 6-7am. I'm trying to figure out what my strategy in terms of contacting my college will have to be in the case of a slightly missed offer. Thanks in anticipation 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only if you haven't been rejected. In other words, if you still are showing as having a conditional offer when Track opens at 8am then yes send your UMS (and raw marks if you can get them) .

It doesn't need to be a panic, just as soon as you have the info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blazing11
Good morning all

Posted from TSR Mobile

I called the sixth form yesterday to ask the same thing, apparently unis get results on Monday the 14th so they know beofre the schools and they make decisions...We willl have results on the 17th and the official offers are made known the next day ie on the 18th. At keast that is what I was told
Thank you all, as ever your answers hugely helpful 💕

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3955
I called the sixth form yesterday to ask the same thing, apparently unis get results on Monday the 14th so they know beofre the schools and they make decisions...We willl have results on the 17th and the official offers are made known the next day ie on the 18th. At keast that is what I was told

No, Track updates for the vast majority of applicants at 8am on the morning of the 17th. Only near-misses who haven't been rejected outright will still see a Conditional Offer.

17th August 2017
08:00 Track for applicants is available.
09:00 Adjustment opens and runs until 31 August.
11:00 Direct contact service for applicants opens.
15:00 Applicants are able to make Clearing choices in Track.
19:00 UCAS Customer Experience Centre for applicants closes.

More info here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/a-level/guide-to-a-level-results-day

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
No, Track updates for the vast majority of applicants at 8am on the morning of the 17th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

6.00am for me last (for the early risers)😜. Good luck everybody, what's done is done. Enjoy the rest of the summer.
Reply 3957
Original post by 210555
6.00am for me last (for the early risers)😜. Good luck everybody, what's done is done. Enjoy the rest of the summer.

Yes possibly but not guaranteed :wink:

And 100% agree :smile:
Two weeks guys, starting to get the shakes :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't been on here in months but with results day around the corner I found myself being lured back onto TSR :evilbanana: