The Student Room Group

Unemployment Depression

Recent graduate, with pretty severe depression. Looking for jobs and not knowing what the hell i want to do with my life/ feeling under qualified/ low self esteem. Still living with parents, would like to move out but have anxiety about that and don't have the money to live for myself anyway. I hate feeling dependent off family. Life seems pretty bleak right now. I'd like a job i'd enjoy but I have no idea what that means or how to get it.

Anyone else in the same boat and want to share their stories / feel some love? There has to be light somewhere out of this bleak bleak tunnel...
Original post by Anonymous
Recent graduate, with pretty severe depression. Looking for jobs and not knowing what the hell i want to do with my life/ feeling under qualified/ low self esteem. Still living with parents, would like to move out but have anxiety about that and don't have the money to live for myself anyway. I hate feeling dependent off family. Life seems pretty bleak right now. I'd like a job i'd enjoy but I have no idea what that means or how to get it.

Anyone else in the same boat and want to share their stories / feel some love? There has to be light somewhere out of this bleak bleak tunnel...

How long unemployed?
What degree grade?
How many applications?
How many interviews?
What jobs?

What colour is your parachute- Richard Nelson Bolles. Any edition. Get for pennies off Amazon or ebay.
if your suffering from deppression i reccomend the chairty MIND they have a free advice line and all sorts of self help for a range of mental health issueis including depression

https://www.mind.org.uk/

also going to see your GP as they can refear you to some help groups but then it does go n your records.

smartians can also help http://www.samaritans.org/

( i work in ambo service so i normal refer people to these services.
I was in a very similar position at the beginning of 2012. I had to suspend from university for mental health reasons, and I was stuck back at my mum's - no job, all my friends were off at uni, severely depressed and dissociated, and with no f*cking clue what I was going to do next.

I'm in a very, very different situation now, and over the past 3 years I can honestly say that I love life and am optimistic for the future (or at least, as optimistic as any young person living in 2017 Britain can be).

Don't give up and don't lose hope, mate. You'll get back on the right track soon enough.

Trust me you are definitely not the only one feeling this way. It's common to struggle getting your foot in the door after graduating. It's gonna take time. Maybe try talking to your classmates and friends as well? It's okay to rely on your family, that's what they're there for. Don't beat yourself up over it
Reply 5
Trust me you are definitely not the only one feeling this way. It's common to struggle getting your foot in the door after graduating. It's gonna take time. Maybe try talking to your classmates and friends as well? It's okay to rely on your family, that's what they're there for. Don't beat yourself up over it

My 'classmates' and 'friends' all turned out to be psychotic self-interested ego-centric *******s. I went to art school. Everyone was just obsessed with 'making it'. At the end of my course I have zero meaningful friendships, in fact the only friends I have are those who dropped out because they couldn't handle pressure. And people think studying art is 'easy'... ha!

Thanks for the support though. I rely on my family as much as is poss. I'm also training myself up in new skills all the time and keeping up my hobbies which counters the helplessness.
Reply 6

Thanks for the support.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger

How long unemployed? Not long. Maybe a month.
What degree grade? 2.1
How many applications? 10?
How many interviews? 1.
What jobs? Gallery/ Museum/ Charity jobs so far. Training myself up in new skills though.

Anyone else in the same boat and want to share their stories / feel some love? There has to be light somewhere out of this bleak bleak tunnel...[/

Just don't let yourself feel like crap... good things come to those who wait! 🙂
How long unemployed? Not long. Maybe a month.
What degree grade? 2.1
How many applications? 10?
How many interviews? 1.
What jobs? Gallery/ Museum/ Charity jobs so far. Training myself up in new skills though.

So are you saying the depression is due to the unemployment?

Have you been diagnosed by your GP and what treatment are you getting?

You are getting things massively out of proportion unless I am missing something.

1 Month no time at all. If it were 2,3,4 years, then I could see you might have an issue.
2. You have a good degree . If you had a 2:2 or less, then you wouldnt be able to apply for many jobs.
3. Only ten job apps? That is a very low number. If it were 200....
4. You had an interview, so at least you know you can get that far, its progress.

I cant say if you have pretty severe depression or not, but id be surprised based on that experience and I suggest you talk to your GP.

Life has its ups and downs you should be able to cope with this situation. read the book I suggested. It will help you understand.

Quick Reply

Latest