The Student Room Group

tips for first job interview?

i'm 17 and i have my first job interview as a Counter Assistant at Sainsburys tomorrow. my anxiety is going through the roof.

i'm a quiet person and i keep myself to myself. I can talk to people and feel confident some days and other days i stutter, get nervous and try to back off.

i actually had a mock interview back in May (sixth form) and i ended up in the waiting area and I walked out because my heart was racing and I was sweating and I could't bare sitting in a room with a interviewer and having no clue what to say.

I've got my outfit sorted out (smart casual) and im wondering if you guys have any tips? p.s i've no work experience whatsoever.
Hope this doesn't get to you too late, but good luck even so. I've had four interviews for part time jobs, two of which were supermarket, and three of them I got offers from.
Just keep calm, the most common questions are just 'Why Sainsburys?' and 'What makes you suited to the role?' or something similar. Think of a couple things to say for that, and it'll be fine. I didn't have any experience apart from some volunteering and then activities I'd done during school like DofE, so you can use them as examples of your attributes, if they ask you. E.g. 'Give an example of where you have shown teamwork'. They don't always ask stuff like that, but you never know.

Honestly though, for my first one, I didn't prepare at all. Just keep calm, try to be as relaxed as possible. Usually the manager/interviewer is really friendly and will ease your nerves and avoid awkward silences :smile:
Make sure you're honest in your answers too, as a quick note; you don't want to get tripped up by lying later on, and you'll seem more genuine anyway if you give real answers.
Original post by IrishHibee
i'm 17 and i have my first job interview as a Counter Assistant at Sainsburys tomorrow. my anxiety is going through the roof.

i'm a quiet person and i keep myself to myself. I can talk to people and feel confident some days and other days i stutter, get nervous and try to back off.

i actually had a mock interview back in May (sixth form) and i ended up in the waiting area and I walked out because my heart was racing and I was sweating and I could't bare sitting in a room with a interviewer and having no clue what to say.

I've got my outfit sorted out (smart casual) and im wondering if you guys have any tips? p.s i've no work experience whatsoever.

Get a good night's sleep.
Reply 4
Original post by IrishHibee

How was the interview?
Keep these tips handy when preparing for your first job interview, and soon enough you’ll be on your way to becoming an interview aficionado.Show the interviewer that you’re motivatedAside from presenting a polished and well-written resume, Kaitlyn Annaert, human resources manager at Voices.com, the largest online marketplace that connects brands with voiceover talent, advises candidates to come to the interview dressed for the part, interested in the company, and with great questions prepared. Letting your motivation and drive come through is key to impressing your interviewer, especially since you have limited work experience.Do your homework on the companyDo you know the mission of the company you’re applying for? Are you familiar with its website? Its products? Does it host events?You might be a little nervous going into your first job interview, and that’s natural. Knowing the details of the prospective company, especially as it pertains to the job you’re interviewing for, is a great way to prepare and calm those nerves.After research, come up with questions to askOne of the best ways to indicate interest in a company and position is to ask about them. The trick is to not ask questions that have answers you could have easily looked up online. Instead, ask specific questions.For example, ask about a new product the company has released, and what the marketing strategy behind it is. Or, how often do sales and marketing work together?With a little practice and preparation, you’ll be on your way to having a great first interview. And remember, even if you don’t get the first job you interview for, don’t give up.
Well i am going to provide you some Do's and Don't to follow while preparing for interview :
Do's :

1. Handshake:
it is very crucial to give a prompt handshake to the interviewer.

2. Have a good outfit:
Although it is said you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, still first impression counts and therefore wear clean and well groomed clothes.

3. Hold Eye Contact:
You will be more appealing and appear as if you are interested if you hold a good eye contact.

Don'ts :

1. Turn Up Late:

2. Bad-mouth:
Do not tell bad about your ex employees or colleagues irrespective of the type of interview, even an informal one as it will create an image that you are untrustworthy and troublesome employee.

3. Don’t take it casually:

I hope you find this information useful and all the best for interview.Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending