The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonathan98
May I know when will the TSA Cambridge be held in Singapore this year?

The TSA will be held at the same time as the Singapore interviews - from memory, mid to late October.
Original post by AliceLewis
Thank you for the advice. Would you suggest to send as much evidence as possible for instance tutors from my current college Newnham, or doctors evidence or letter of hospitalisation a few days before exam etc, I was also seeing a university counselor throughout the year to help me with all the anxiety from my mother's illness, or do you think sending too much would seem as a nuisance? Also, what are my chances of keeping the offer if i do not get the required grades? What else would they take into consideration? It just seems so unfair to be rejected by just this when i have good grades in my MBs and MPhil and I had done past A levels with A, A* grades...and extensive work experience and voluntering.... could I lose my offer solely due to A level?

A letter from your Tutor at Newnham would probably suffice.

I can't comment on your chances of securing a place if you don't meet the academic condition; I imagine the University might well be sympathetic if it is in a position to be sympathetic, but that will largely depend on the spread of results across the gathered field, since numbers in Medicine are tightly controlled (and these controls are imposed by the government, not by us).
Original post by junhochoi13
Hi there,
I'm hoping to apply to study engineering at Cambridge in 2018 (i.e. put in UCAS applications in the coming months).
My profile:
I've got 11 A*s at GCSE and am doing Double Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Geography for A-level (predicted all A*s). However, I know that Cambridge takes into account engineering work experience/projects quite significantly. I have only managed to get a Scientific Computing placement (i.e. not engineering) at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory for 4 weeks and am thinking of doing my own project using Arduino along with extra reading over the rest of the summer.

At Christ's (or even other colleges), how much do they value this down to earth work when it comes to engineering and what do you recommend to strengthen my application instead?

I don't think you should exaggerate the importance of engineering work experience/projects. It's true that we like to see that you have some understanding of what it means to be an engineer, but we also understand that many students struggle to secure engineering work experience through absolutely no fault of your own.

What you have lined up sounds absolutely fine, and I would be happy to see this in an application to Christ's.
Reply 163
I sat my A levels this year and am hoping to apply for land economy post qualification. I know the standard offer is A*AA but would applying with those exact grades mean that it was unlikely that I would win a place? Would it depend on the subjects each grade was in? I'm taking maths, econ and french - will an A* in french be seen as unimportant as it isn't relevant to the course?

I saw online a document which had the difference in performance of Cambridge students compared to their A level results. For Land Economy it said that there was no significant difference in performance at degree level between those with 1,2 or 3 A* at A level, do you think admissions tutors take this into account or is it largely irrelevant?

I am still hoping to get A*A*A in August (although I am very anxious as I didn't feel the exams went as well as they could/should have and A*AA is very possible) but I know that in maths it is impossible for me to get the A* I was predicted due to a terrible C3 paper (I didn't notice there was a question 9 on top of some stupid mistakes). If this was the case and I had a B in one paper (I've estimated that it will be around 78 UMS) but my overall maths average UMS was 90 would you recommend retaking the C3 module or do you think admissions tutors will view it as an anomaly anyway? As maths is probably considered the most challenging of my subjects do you think an A here will be particularly worrying to admissions tutors?

Please could you also tell me how admissions tutors normally compare achieved A level grades with predicted - I know that in my case predicted grades were given on the assumption of "with everything going well on the day she should achieve..." when in reality it is rare that every paper goes as well as it possibly could. Do GCSE grades have any importance at all or are these overshadowed by AS/A level performance? Would having 10 A* grades at GCSE give me an advantage even if my A level grades weren't quite as strong as someone with weaker GCSEs' predicted grades?

How much does a genuine interest and enthusiasm for the subject matter? If I managed to convey how much I wanted to study this course in my application would this have a significant bearing on my chances of being awarded a place or would grades, references and test scores be considered better indicators of how suitable I was for the course?

Finally, how important is the TSA? Would a strong mark in the TSA compensate for slightly weaker A level results or is this unlikely?

Thank you and sorry for such a long list of questions, I have some good offers this year (but for a subject I am less interested in studying) so want to make sure that I'm in full possession of the facts before I give those places up.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
We don't make offers based on four A-levels at Christ's; we would make an offer based on three grades only. This would be true at most other colleges too, I think.

GCSEs are really only a minor piece of the puzzle, so if you have 5A*s, you're fine, and shouldn't worry too much about the As and Bs (including the B in English language).

The personal statement can certainly strengthen an application, but we are much more interested in your AS-/A-level record and predictions, reference, performance in the pre-interview assessment, and performance at interview.

If your marks have already been increased, I would think that the ECF is superfluous; you should only submit it if your application for special consideration was unsuccessful or the situation that affected you during your exams is on-going.

Are you (or any other college) likely to ask for grades in specific subjects or ignore maths in my offer as I'm doing further maths as well?

Also, do you know how I can find out if I got the special consideration? Does it say on my results sheet or do I have to ask my school?
Original post by lily20
I sat my A levels this year and am hoping to apply for land economy post qualification. I know the standard offer is A*AA but would applying with those exact grades mean that it was unlikely that I would win a place? Would it depend on the subjects each grade was in? I'm taking maths, econ and french - will an A* in french be seen as unimportant as it isn't relevant to the course?

I saw online a document which had the difference in performance of Cambridge students compared to their A level results. For Land Economy it said that there was no significant difference in performance at degree level between those with 1,2 or 3 A* at A level, do you think admissions tutors take this into account or is it largely irrelevant?

I am still hoping to get A*A*A in August (although I am very anxious as I didn't feel the exams went as well as they could/should have and A*AA is very possible) but I know that in maths it is impossible for me to get the A* I was predicted due to a terrible C3 paper (I didn't notice there was a question 9 on top of some stupid mistakes). If this was the case and I had a B in one paper (I've estimated that it will be around 78 UMS) but my overall maths average UMS was 90 would you recommend retaking the C3 module or do you think admissions tutors will view it as an anomaly anyway? As maths is probably considered the most challenging of my subjects do you think an A here will be particularly worrying to admissions tutors?

Please could you also tell me how admissions tutors normally compare achieved A level grades with predicted - I know that in my case predicted grades were given on the assumption of "with everything going well on the day she should achieve..." when in reality it is rare that every paper goes as well as it possibly could. Do GCSE grades have any importance at all or are these overshadowed by AS/A level performance? Would having 10 A* grades at GCSE give me an advantage even if my A level grades weren't quite as strong as someone with weaker GCSEs' predicted grades?

How much does a genuine interest and enthusiasm for the subject matter? If I managed to convey how much I wanted to study this course in my application would this have a significant bearing on my chances of being awarded a place or would grades, references and test scores be considered better indicators of how suitable I was for the course?

Finally, how important is the TSA? Would a strong mark in the TSA compensate for slightly weaker A level results or is this unlikely?

Thank you and sorry for such a long list of questions, I have some good offers this year (but for a subject I am less interested in studying) so want to make sure that I'm in full possession of the facts before I give those places up.

I think the best advice I can give you is to wait until you have your results in hand, and if you secure A*AA or better (regardless of which subject the A* is in), book on for a slot at the Christ's Post-Results Advice Clinic:

https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/admissions/post-results-advice-clinic-2017

We'll be happy to give you an honest answer as to how competitive you would be for 2018 entry once you (and we) know what the actual strengths and weaknesses of your academic profile are, post A-levels. Alternatively, send me an e-mail with your full results and UMS and I can talk you through the answers to your questions then - otherwise we may both be worrying unnecessarily about hypothetical problems!
Reply 166
I think the best advice I can give you is to wait until you have your results in hand, and if you secure A*AA or better (regardless of which subject the A* is in), book on for a slot at the Christ's Post-Results Advice Clinic:

https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/admissions/post-results-advice-clinic-2017

We'll be happy to give you an honest answer as to how competitive you would be for 2018 entry once you (and we) know what the actual strengths and weaknesses of your academic profile are, post A-levels. Alternatively, send me an e-mail with your full results and UMS and I can talk you through the answers to your questions then - otherwise we may both be worrying unnecessarily about hypothetical problems!

Thank you (even for taking the time to read that long post!!) - I had never heard of the post results clinic, it sounds very helpful.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Are you (or any other college) likely to ask for grades in specific subjects or ignore maths in my offer as I'm doing further maths as well?

Also, do you know how I can find out if I got the special consideration? Does it say on my results sheet or do I have to ask my school?

We may ask for grades in specific subjects if your performance in the pre-interview assessment or at interview suggests there are areas of weakness you need to address. This would be true at many other colleges, too.

Your school may be able to tell you - check with them.
Original post by lily20
Thank you (even for taking the time to read that long post!!) - I had never heard of the post results clinic, it sounds very helpful.

Sorry, the original link I gave you doesn't work for all users - have edited!
We may ask for grades in specific subjects if your performance in the pre-interview assessment or at interview suggests there are areas of weakness you need to address. This would be true at many other colleges, too.

Your school may be able to tell you - check with them.

How do you determine whether these weaknesses are reason to reject and when they are reason to make a tougher offer?
How do you determine whether these weaknesses are reason to reject and when they are reason to make a tougher offer?

That will depend on the precise degree course in question, what skills and prior knowledge are most critical to success on that degree course, and what (in our view) can be consolidated post admission: in Biological Natural Sciences, for example, it can be easier to "catch up" on Biology than Chemistry (which is why we don't insist on Biology A-level). But broadly, by comparison with performance across the gathered field.
(edited 6 years ago)
A letter from your Tutor at Newnham would probably suffice.

I can't comment on your chances of securing a place if you don't meet the academic condition; I imagine the University might well be sympathetic if it is in a position to be sympathetic, but that will largely depend on the spread of results across the gathered field, since numbers in Medicine are tightly controlled (and these controls are imposed by the government, not by us).

Thank you forreplying... WOuld you maybe know who makes the final admissions decision for grad entry medicine>? Is it the college or the department? Also who sets the conditions of an offer??
Hello, thank you for doing this.
I'm an offer holder who is hoping to study English Literature. My offer is A*A*A (I took A levels in English Literature, Art, and Maths,) which corresponded to my predicted grades. Unfortunately, in my second week of exams I suffered with anxiety which in turn induced insomnia and I strongly feel that I wasn't myself. I'm therefore anticipating that I may not get the A in maths that I was predicted (I had 2 maths exams that week). The school contacted my unis and exam board to say what happened. I was wondering whether you think it advisable for me to email the college personally to explain further or whether it's better coming from my school as a third party.
Original post by Elladelabella789
I'm an offer holder who is hoping to study English Literature. My offer is A*A*A (I took A levels in English Literature, Art, and Maths,) which corresponded to my predicted grades. Unfortunately, in my second week of exams I suffered with anxiety which in turn induced insomnia and I strongly feel that I wasn't myself. I'm therefore anticipating that I may not get the A in maths that I was predicted (I had 2 maths exams that week). The school contacted my unis and exam board to say what happened. I was wondering whether you think it advisable for me to email the college personally to explain further or whether it's better coming from my school as a third party.

Can I just check, you mention "unis", are you a Cambridge offer holder?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AliceLewis
Thank you forreplying... WOuld you maybe know who makes the final admissions decision for grad entry medicine>? Is it the college or the department? Also who sets the conditions of an offer??

The final decision will be made by the college in consultation with the Clinical School. The conditions are set by the college, but they are common to all colleges that accept applicants for Graduate Entry Medicine (i.e. you have not been asked for anything unusual by Hughes Hall).
Original post by Elladelabella789

It's better coming from your school as a third party.
That will depend on the precise degree course in question, what skills and prior knowledge are most critical to success on that degree course, and what (in our view) can be consolidated post admission: in Biological Natural Sciences, for example, it can be easier to "catch up" on Biology than Chemistry (which is why we don't insist on Biology A-level). But broadly, by comparison with performance across the gathered field.

Thanks a lot. I might consider doing biology of cells and experimental psychology in the first and second years respectively (alongside with physics/physical sciences) if I were to get in. Do you think that it is worth mentioning this in my SAQ and interview? I had a mock interview for physics and they said not to. I haven't done biology A level so I would likely struggle to answer questions on it.

Also for statements when talking about stuff I've read or watched, is it important for me to state where this has come from? I see how this is for assessing reliability but surely the wider reading and interest is more valuable than what specifically I've read, especially when it takes up characters explaining the whereabouts of things? Is this the same with taste days and visits? How do you feel about one of these being from Oxford as well?
Thanks a lot. I might consider doing biology of cells and experimental psychology in the first and second years respectively (alongside with physics/physical sciences) if I were to get in. Do you think that it is worth mentioning this in my SAQ and interview? I had a mock interview for physics and they said not to. I haven't done biology A level so I would likely struggle to answer questions on it.

Also for statements when talking about stuff I've read or watched, is it important for me to state where this has come from? I see how this is for assessing reliability but surely the wider reading and interest is more valuable than what specifically I've read, especially when it takes up characters explaining the whereabouts of things? Is this the same with taste days and visits? How do you feel about one of these being from Oxford as well?

I don't think there's a particular problem with mentioning Biology of Cells on the SAQ, to be honest, though it's very unusual to combine that with Physics on the degree and you'd need to think carefully how you'd justify it at interview. Having said that, if you had an interview for Physical Natural Sciences it's pretty unlikely you'd be asked much about Biology in any case.

On the personal statement, I'd advise a mixture of general and specific - you're right to conserve characters carefully, but you should try to give one or two examples of things you've read and watched, to illustrate your broader points, even if you don't go into huge detail. The same is true of taster days and visits. (And there's no issues with one of those being at Oxford!)
Hope you don't mind a bit of a trivial question. I was just wondering, what are some of the strangest/funniest things you've seen in someone's application/interview? :-)
If the standard offer is a*a*a and you do 4 a levels, do you get a 4 a level offer for economics

Latest