The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anarchism101
OK, but in this case I'm not really seeing how this relates to the thread topic in general. If you want to bemoan the decline in attention given to older literary classics, fair enough, but if you're not giving it as an example as some sort of lost English/British essence, then it seems to be a very tenuous jump in the thread.

It is a very tenous jump, it just occurred to me as I am very into the novel just now, and it is right in the forefront of my mind. And it clearly speaks to a conception of historical Englishness. Read it and you will see what I mean.

Tell you what, I'll try and take it in a slightly direction. It seems to me that we are currently rewriting our past history to reflect the present, and I think it has had the reverse of what we intended.

To take the example of Ivanhoe there was a TV adaption of Robin Hood in which Friar Tuck was played by a black actor, as is now the fashion. Friar Tuck is fictional, but let's pretend he isn't. Isn't that just a dishonest representation? Not to put to fine a point on it a lie? An attempt to pretend that the twelfth century was really the twenty first? To reprise Scott, would Scottish people regard a Bonny Prince Charlie played by a black actor as distinctly odd? Or not blink an eyelid at that too?

The reverse is true, also. The Eastenders soap is set in a fictional East End which is 90% white. Why aren't all the actors Bangladeshi? Isn't that also a lie?
Original post by nulli tertius
I don't think that could be further from the truth.

Betjeman (a decendant of immigrants who added a second "n" to the name to make it appear less Dutch and then dropped it again to make it appear less German) had it right; the Empire brought "democracy and proper drains". Most people see the Empire as an ineluctible force for good in the world.

You can see it again with Kipling's tutorial to the Americans:

"Fill full the mouth of Famine
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
The end for others sought,
Watch sloth and heathen Folly
Bring all your hopes to nought"

Exactly, we shaped the world in our image. That does not mean however that we were no predatory nor that many don't take pride from us being top dog.
Original post by Rakas21
Exactly, we shaped the world in our image. That does not mean however that we were no predatory nor that many don't take pride from us being top dog.

All I can say is that if it is true, and I have my doubts, it is a post-Imperialist fantasy by people who aren't quite sure which side we were on in WWII.
Original post by astutehirstute
Isn't that just a dishonest representation?

Is Sarah Bernhardt's or Glenda Jackson's Hamlet dishonest.

All drama involves a suspension of disbelief. What you are suggesting is that we are not allowed to suspend disbelief over race.
Original post by nulli tertius
Is Sarah Bernhardt's or Glenda Jackson's Hamlet dishonest.

All drama involves a suspension of disbelief. What you are suggesting is that we are not allowed to suspend disbelief over race.

Drama involves suspension of disbelief, true, and in Shakespeare's own time female characters were played by boys. I get that. (Although personally I would prefer to watch a fully fledged woman playing Desdemona or Cleopatra, or Ophelia. Rather than a pre pubescent boy smothered in lipstick. I'm funny like that I guess).

My argument, though is that something more profound is going on, a conscious rewriting of history. To make the past conform to the present.

And it is a uniquely western phenomenon. You don't get black actors starring in Noh plays. And the idea that you should would meet with bemusement and incredulity, I suggest.
Oh no, how tragic :frown:
Original post by Foo.mp3
You were rather a big fan of Corbyn: are you seriously telling me you've never voted for Jezza and his ilk, and nor would you ever? :holmes:

I love him because he so well principled man but I doubt I would ever seriously vote for him for a number of reasons;mostly cos of my background and my upbringing. I'm more conservative than anything.
Original post by Rakas21
I'm pretty sure some time ago you confirmed that your loyalty is to Syria before the UK and that you would seek a foreign partner (thus not strengthening the native genepool).

Your not a bad person of course, but it suggests that at some level people like you don't see yourselves as one of us. If indeed you even wish to be so fully.

Not so much allegiance but I feel I have more in common with Swiss Italians and Italians in general plus Syrians because of my background than say a native brit,mostly cos of the cultural aspect. Plus I don't know what you mean by native gene pool given that I'm not a native and most people still view me as a foreigner who just happens to have been born and raised in the U.K. The next guy I hope proposes to me is a native brit actually :mmm:
Original post by queen-bee
Not so much allegiance but I feel I have more in common with Swiss Italians and Italians in general plus Syrians because of my background than say a native brit,mostly cos of the cultural aspect. Plus I don't know what you mean by native gene pool given that I'm not a native and most people still view me as a foreigner who just happens to have been born and raised in the U.K. The next guy I hope proposes to me is a native brit actually :mmm:

:eek:
You will be diluting the native gene pool with Syrian Arab blood
Original post by queen-bee
Yeah women are aging children later on in life which isn't really a good thing...

How do we encourage native women to want to have kids or more kids?

Firstly men have to be encouraged to marry younger. While most men dont propose tlll they are thirty and mostly marry women the same age then breeding kids gets postponed.

Many girls would be happy to marry in the mid twenties as used to be normal but boyf is man-child. Most men only marry young if they find someone far better looking than them and are scared they will lose her.

Bring back the married mans allowance, end child benefit when the mum hits forty so the younger you have them the more you get, help to buy only to married couples. There are many possible incentiives
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Perhaps you missed this article, and the fact he tried to capture the youth vote on a classic switch and bait bit of bribery & bluff with this recent student debt clearout electoral scandal? :dontknow:

Well, I suppose that's good to know, albeit that one would hope you are not rigidly conservative i.e. you see the merit in reforming things where doing so looks likely to be genuinely progressive :smile:

Of Course. But i would rather be with a man who was a conservative like me but lie not ultra conservative oh and seeing as its on topic,I would also recommend we encourage women to have kids earlier on rather than leaving it to their late 20s
Original post by Al-farhan
:eek:
You will be diluting the native gene pool with Syrian Arab blood

The native gene pool has already been diluted since the 1950's, what difference is a bit more going to make?
Original post by Foo.mp3

Clearly current 'encouragement' is absolutely failing, however. We need more effective norms, institutions, values, and programs of education and incentives. Have a nasty feeling the elite rather want formerly strong, fertile, and united white European nations to be hollowed out, and usurped, in demographic terms (ahead of the next phase they have in store) :sad:

There is no 'encouragement' for the middle class, only for the poor.
Original post by Foo.mp3
About a 6 or 7 on a scale of one to Hitler :judge:

Correct answer. Clearly current 'encouragement' is absolutely failing, however. We need more effective norms, institutions, values, and programs of education and incentives. Have a nasty feeling the elite rather want formerly strong, fertile, and united white European nations to be hollowed out, and usurped, in demographic terms (ahead of the next phase they have in store) :sad:

Who me? Im not And ultra conservative but I am a bit too conservative for some,let's put it that way.

Ah so you'd prefer to procreate with a white woman? And is that what you would also prefer for the majorityof white Europeans? To marry within their race and have kids etc

But other groups have never really needed any encouragement to have kids or larger families so I don't understand what kind of encouragement we are talking about here
Original post by Foo.mp3
Know what you mean but free childcare + tax-free childcare + child tax credit

No, your ideal man, silly

Guardianistas need not apply :hand:

1) Statistically speaking, it matters not what I personally do

2) Furthermore, in cases like mine there is no threat of significant cultural dilution/debasement as my children will be raised in a manner consistent with my British identity/values, whatever the mother's ethnicity may be. In fact, it's probably additive (the white British woman/women freed up by my opting not to mate with them can go on and mate with other ethno-cultural Brits, siring yet more authentically British offspring)

Virtually all tribal/civilisational groups must have a strong, united, and authentic ethno-cultural core if they are to survive the test of time. Look at the state of the first nation peoples of the New World for an example as to what happens when you let this slip

The population may slowly transform into something more heterogeneous (indeed, this is somewhat desirable in genetic and cultural terms); however, a continued rush to ethnic and cultural diversity via mass immigration and unstable interracial/cultural relations (multicultural social engineering) can currently only mean that Western civilisation is bred out of existence and/or perverted and debased beyond all recognition

Why do you think that is?

Any and all kinds of encouragement, if we wish to effectively encourage folks: “more effective norms, institutions, values, and programs of education and incentives”

Well,the guardianistas amongst my circle of friends come off like cool caring characters but aren't probably scary of my conservative views on society etc.

What If the mother has her own cultural values or her own cultural identity? This is why for me,it has always been problematic being mixed raced. And I'm not tbe only one who's probably had identity issues.

Anyway I'm sure most people will sooner or later need to accept that the majority of the world's population will be of mixed race,according to nat geo and I certainly welcome it! After all,variety is the spice of life

If other women of other races have no issues reproducing,I don't see what's stopping white western women. I don't know what the incentives are or should be. I personally want kids and so do the majority of the women I know. For me it's a natural feeling anyway and don't need the government giving me incentives to do so
Original post by astutehirstute
...increasing steadily since the 90's.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40655563

Is this a fantastic phenomenon, proof of the remarkable diversity in our society? A harbinger of a glorious future society in which differences in colour, creed and language will disappear?

Or evidence of one of the most remarkable demographic changes, over a similarly short period, ever witnessed in human history? The consequences of which for social cohesion are impossible to predict?

Or neither of these, and something else?

Your thoughts...

It's a society slowly replacing itself aided and abetted by the media and major political parties. Future historians or robots will find it quite curious.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Libtards are typically a bit myopic/arrogant, so they’d probably be unphased by a traditional girl e.g. wouldn’t bother to notice or else would assume they could corrupt her :rolleyes:

Kids are like sponges: they soak up culture from all corners. The mother of my children will not have a core cultural identity/values that are at odds with my own, ours will be complementary, and we’ll take the best from both worlds

Not sure I follow

From what you’ve told us, you have had a very unusual/strained personal life. Take that out of the equation and you’d be more secure and settled in who you are and what you’re about

Aye, hopefully later, rather than sooner, as it seems humanity depends on this being a gradual process

It’s also the ruination of civilised society, if not handled correctly (e.g. retrograde multiculturalism)

Yes you do, you’re reasonably astute and have an imagination, I’m sure you can think of quite a few reasons ‘modern white women’ are tending to have kids aged 30+

That’s the million dollar question

Aye, but funnily enough, you’re rather different to most British bints (Amen)

I wouldn't allow anybody to corrupt me let alone a libtard! Do you know how soft liberal men actually are?! They just say yes to anything a woman wants and I don't find that attractive at all

I guess she can have a cultural identity of her own and it shouldn't affect how you choose to live life together,if you agree on core principles etc. That's the beauty of intercultural relationships

Ah ofcourse feminism has a huge part to play in the reason why women are having babies later on. For health reasons it isn't good anyway but women know the risks associated with having kids later on. Just recently my doctor told me that fertility in women decreases after 24,so you can imagine the pressure i am under knowing that this is the one thing I can't control and of course I don't want to leave it til late and end up regretting it. I've always liked the idea of having kids young. The reason you say I'm different to most British females is maybe because I'm a lot more traditional...
Like I want a man who's the head of the household and the love,honour obey aspect of marriage etc,Im more than happy to do for my man. That's doesn't mean we still can't be equal
Original post by Foo.mp3
Oh I think we both know you’d let someone very special ‘corrupt’ the **** out of you :devil:

Around an 8, on a scale of one to Chaotic Butterfly :scrooge:

Yes indeed. You see, people have distinct ideological/cultural identities even within the same microcosmic old-fashioned communities, let alone in ‘modern Britain’. This is why we must consider it so fortunate when we meet someone with whom we are organically aligned :smile:

Yup, this is one of a number of somewhat intertwined factors

You can’t control your ticking biological clock, but your fate remains in your own hands re: raising children with the right man

You’ve certainly always talked about it, for as long as I’ve known you, but we’ve never yet seen any action that supports this “idea”

That’s certainly one of them. You seem to more highly value authenticity, congruency, stability, self-respect, duty, depth, etc. Unfortunately these qualities are in increasingly short supply among the hedonistic and somewhat infantile young women of today (particularly the feminists, aye)

If there is mutual love and honour, then any inequality in terms of who ultimately rules the roost is of little significance, indeed, so long as everyone's happy :h:

We both know I would! It's magical :heart:

Liberal men are like big teddy bears,they'll never say no to you which is bad because then they'll just get taken advantage of by manipulative women and people in general.
I agree. This is why I can't wait to get married and have my own family.

It's been extra difficult given certain issues I've had related to long term use of the pill. The pill is very problematic,it's causing all sorts of fertility problems in women rendering some infertile in the end :frown:
If I could go back and do everything again,I'd be married by now and certainly have at least a child and a few before my 30th.

Ah thank you! I'm so flattered you think all those things of me! I hope to be the best person I can be and be a good influence on younger women and make a difference to the world in general
(edited 6 years ago)
In the future all people will have to be more nimble and mobile, being willing to move between countries to survive rather than growing up, working and dying in the same country you were born in let alone the same county or region.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Again, still waiting to see some evidence of this 3+ years on :flute:

Aye, it's pretty terrible eh. Still more so, the pressure heaped on Boots recently for attempting to take a moral position on not making the morning after pill (even more toxic than the regular pill) more affordable. The world's gone insane, and feminism is in large part to blame :rolleyes:

To the wrong guy, most likely :holmes:

You're welcome :h:

A venerable aspiration, t'be sure. I'm not sure about being a good influence, myself, but it's certainly rewarding to make a difference, even if that does sometimes mean standing up, speaking out, and putting onself in harms way

Oh the pill Is very toxic indeed,I'll be keeping away from it. No thanks! It's really weird that doctors are just randomly prescribing 'the pill' as if it's nothing harmful when in fact it's then complete opposite,I am living proof of that but I hope to make other females aware of what they're dealing with.

Aye,perhaps to the wrong guy but I'd at least be married with kids. TBH most ethnic women I would say aren't of the idea of waiting but until you're 30 to have kids. First of all in Arabian culture as soon as a woman hits 26 she's seen as expired. Hard facts. That's why most girls aspire to marry younger in such cultures,cos you don't want to Be left with no proposals or no chance of having kids ever in your life. In the west you guys don't really have this concept so it may also be a reason why as to women don't mind never having kids or having them really late ? Possibly