The Student Room Group

People who class themselves as non binary

What are your thoughts. Not to sound ignorant but how can you not class yourself as a gender?

Scroll to see replies

They're just bored white middle class people, let's keep it real. Usually somewhere on the hipster spectrum, and have a tumblr account. But hey, idgaf, be a banana.
They're just looking for attention, ignore them.
Attention seekers. As well as the other 76 odd however many genders. There are a small minority of people who have genuine distress at their birth sex (transsexuals) but all this gender stuff and quite frankly ********.
Reply 4
Like the way I see it is criminals could easily just say they're not a certain gender to get prisoned elsewhere or they can easily say they're female when they're male to avoid going to a nail prison baffles me ...
Reply 5
Male*
They're messed in the head, simple as. Only exception is Apache attack helicopter, which I identify as. If you think I'm crazy you're a cis white male middle class right wing bigot !!1!
I don't get it. Many claim to want to get rid of gender stereotypes and roles (which I'm all for) and not want to be attached to them so they say they are non binary. But surely if we achieve that then gender would have the same meaning as your biological sex. That way the only differences between men and women would be the biological ones. In that case what would non binary even be?
Not something I believe, honestly. I think that there are two genders, but I think there are around 5 sexualities.
Original post by Durhamgirl96
Not something I believe, honestly. I think that there are two genders, but I think there are around 5 sexualities.

5? What are they?
Original post by Anonymous
I don't get it. Many claim to want to get rid of gender stereotypes and roles (which I'm all for) and not want to be attached to them so they say they are non binary. But surely if we achieve that then gender would have the same meaning as your biological sex. That way the only differences between men and women would be the biological ones. In that case what would non binary even be?

i actually really agree with this, to me it doesnt make much sense but noone is hurting anyone else i guess so they can do what they want if it makes them happy
Most are teenagers who will identify as anything for a bit of attention. Some are just confused. I'm sure there aren't many who identify as that over 30
Original post by Anonymous
5? What are they?

Bisexual, asexual, gay, pan and straight.
As a closeted non binary person I can assure you it's not for attention! In fact i would far rather just be referred to by my pronouns of singular they and that be the end of it.
Although i must say the more vocal people usually are attention seekers. Ie the "refer to me as fae faeself or zier" "there's 57 genders" etc types. Or the 12 year old tumblr twits.

I see it as this:

Sex is male, female, intersex.
Gender is man, woman, nonbinary.

I experience the 'typical' gender dysphoria of a binary transgender person, but rather than feeling that i should have a male or female body i feel that i should have an intersex body.

I hope this helps.
Original post by Laeliakiwi
They're just bored white middle class people, let's keep it real. Usually somewhere on the hipster spectrum, and have a tumblr account. But hey, idgaf, be a banana.
This :lol:

I'm ironic on this though. I have very little patience for nonbinarity, and yet I only identify as male because I happen to have been assigned a male body. I don't feel, inside, like I'm either gender. I'm just a Tootles. One of my friends pointed out to me that this would define me as nonbinary :dong:
Original post by Tootles
This :lol:

I'm ironic on this though. I have very little patience for nonbinarity, and yet I only identify as male because I happen to have been assigned a male body. I don't feel, inside, like I'm either gender. I'm just a Tootles. One of my friends pointed out to me that this would define me as nonbinary :dong:

Your sex doesn't have to define how you are. I'm female but I think I'm very "male-minded", at the end of the day your sex chromosomes doesn't have to mean or feel like anything, it just is.
Your sex doesn't have to define how you are. I'm female but I think I'm very "male-minded", at the end of the day your sex chromosomes doesn't have to mean or feel like anything, it just is.
Neither does sexuality, this actually winds me up with a lot of gay/bi people who seem to feel like they're nothing without that identity. Same goes for "nonbinary" people. You might say I'm nonbinary but I don't care - I'm just a man who's not bothered about being masculine. I have feminine traits and my thought processes are quite in-line with females too. That doesn't define me. Neither does me being bi - which only means I'm capable of liking and fantasizing about men as well as women, not that I have this whole other lifestyle. Hell the friends I've got didn't believe me when I told them I was bi (in conversation; I don't much believe in "coming out" either).
Original post by Tootles
Neither does sexuality, this actually winds me up with a lot of gay/bi people who seem to feel like they're nothing without that identity. Same goes for "nonbinary" people. You might say I'm nonbinary but I don't care - I'm just a man who's not bothered about being masculine. I have feminine traits and my thought processes are quite in-line with females too. That doesn't define me. Neither does me being bi - which only means I'm capable of liking and fantasizing about men as well as women, not that I have this whole other lifestyle. Hell the friends I've got didn't believe me when I told them I was bi (in conversation; I don't much believe in "coming out" either).

The bit in bold :congrats: pretty much how I think

What's funny is that I was thinking about the whole coming out thing, it's so ********. The sex you like ****ing means nothing to your family and friends, bring it up at least when things get serious. It's so easy to succumb to the idea that you shouldn't hide your sexuality because it's an important part of who you are (which is BS) and that you must "come out". It's nonsense being pushed out by the LGBTQALAZP++ community (plus that acronym is so ********, wtf do transgenders have to do with gay/bi people? plus they keep adding ****)

rant over
The bit in bold :congrats: pretty much how I think

What's funny is that I was thinking about the whole coming out thing, it's so ********. The sex you like ****ing means nothing to your family and friends, bring it up at least when things get serious. It's so easy to succumb to the idea that you shouldn't hide your sexuality because it's an important part of who you are (which is BS) and that you must "come out". It's nonsense being pushed out by the LGBTQALAZP++ community (plus that acronym is so ********, wtf do transgenders have to do with gay/bi people? plus they keep adding ****)

rant over
Preach, sistah :h: you're saying exactly what I think :lol: people jsut need to chill their tits.
I find it weird how transgender people identify their gender as trans. Wouldn't their gender be the opposite of their sex, e.g. male sex, female gender?

Quick Reply

Latest