The Student Room Group

I've decided to become atheist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Haha, Maragaret though :rofl:

Yep :yep:
Very creative username... You should hang out in Chat more often and check out the threads - nothing good happens in D&CA :lol:
Original post by ClearSky
nothing good happens in D&CA :lol:

:dong:

You should hang out in Chat more often and check out the threads

I'll have you know that most of my rep has come from Chat :fyi:
:dong:

I'll have you know that most of my rep has come from Chat :fyi:

Loool I just don't see you there then :redface:
Did you see the one where someone was complaining about having a hairy bum?
Burrito's reply though - "Make me shut up with that hairy bum of yours, Sarah!" :rofl:

What's the worst thread you've ever seen? :hmmmm:
Haha! Not quite sure if 'amateur' is the correct word!

I'm not going to take physics since i don't know what i would do with it after education. To be honest, it sounds as though you have an interest in it too. You see, i'm very open minded when it comes to the origin of the universe, and whilst i believe the Big Bang more than the idea that the world was created by something with superior intelligence, i like to question hypotheses such as this and hence take the theory with a pinch of salt.

I assume that you are an atheist too then?
Haha no, that's my amateur understanding of it. I didn't do physics A-level. If it was your strongest then why didn't you take it?
Original post by ClearSky
Loool I just don't see you there then :redface:
Did you see the one where someone was complaining about having a hairy bum?
Burrito's reply though - "Make me shut up with that hairy bum of yours, Sarah!" :rofl:

What's the worst thread you've ever seen? :hmmmm:

I did, the lesbian who was self-conscious about her hairy bum :nothing:

I have seen many, many hilariously bad and ridiculous threads in my time. A choice selection off the top of my head:

"I gave my brother a handjob, do you think this can work between us?"

"I want to impregnate myself with an alpha male, (because I only want children with an alpha), but I'm an independent woman so don't want the alpha in my life. Would it be illegal to have the baby and not put the alpha father on the birth certificate?"

"The sexual mermaid theory"

"Have you white girls ever dreamed of going deep into Africa and having a black man with a curved 10 inch penis fill your sweet innocent white progressive liberal pussy? Such a juxtaposition of cultures breeding for diversity"

"A girl at work looked at me today. Does this mean something?"

"I'm a 17-year-old and I lost my virginity to a 68-year-old man with Dementia. I really love him, will my parents approve?"

"I did a massive dump in my girlfriend's parents' house and clogged the toilet. I left the house and went back home without them knowing. I have 3 missed calls from my girlfriend, should I break up with her to avoid having to explain myself?"

I really do love this site :moon:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Racoon
My objection to evolution is how it is now taught as fact. Fact it is not.

Which aspect of it do you dispute? It is taught as fact, because it is. If you have proof that it isn't, your Nobel Prize awaits.
Original post by Lisa.Williams
Haha! Not quite sure if 'amateur' is the correct word!

I'm not going to take physics since i don't know what i would do with it after education. To be honest, it sounds as though you have an interest in it too. You see, i'm very open minded when it comes to the origin of the universe, and whilst i believe the Big Bang more than the idea that the world was created by something with superior intelligence, i like to question hypotheses such as this and hence take the theory with a pinch of salt.

I assume that you are an atheist too then?

The universe and its natural laws fascinate me so yes, it's something I like to read up on. And yes, I am also an atheist.
Ah, why do they call the theory the Big Bang then? Also, is the idea that everything was compacted into one point wrong then - the singularity is just the idea that the galaxies were just a 'lot closer together' because that seems incredibly vague? Again, if the universe contracting is dependent on the amount of mass in the universe (which you're saying is unknown), then why do scientists say that this theory cannot explain the motion of the universe?

I am an atheist and absolutely agree with all your points and this is why i like to challenge people's beliefs and hopefully convert theists into atheists. The Bible is just one of many scriptures containing ridiculous statements which can clearly be proved untrue (the main example being the 'miracles' which lots of Christians believe in or just say that they're to be taken metaphorically - 'God gave us free will and therefore doesn't perform miracles because he doesn't want to interfere with our lives' is one of many arguments even though one third of God (the Son) performed so-called 'miracles' in an age where, like you say, people thought the sun orbited around the Earth and people believed in witchcraft).

Thank you for your reply! :biggrin:

The term the big bang was actually originally used to mock the idea I believe but the name sort of stuck.No it's not actually the galaxies that move really.Well they do but it's really space itself which is expanding.So as space expands the distance between galaxies get larger.
If space is expanding then at some point in the past it must have been a lot smaller until it reaches an infinitely small,dense and hot point.I'm not sure what you mean by cannot explain the motion of the universe?

If there is enough matter in the universe then the expansion will slow and the universe will contract due to gravity.If there is not enough then it will just expand forever until everything gets further and further apart and the stars burn out.I believe that is the favoured theory at the moment.The heat death of the universe.
Ah, i never knew that. The explanation you've given has really helped clear things up so thank you!

I'm not exactly the most eloquent of people but you have answered my question (regarding the motion of the universe). When you talk about matter, what exactly do you mean - i assume that it wouldn't be as simple as to just place things in space. Do you mean objects which have a gravitational pull so can therefore kind of pull the universe's expansion to a hault? Do you do A Level physics if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Robby2312
The term the big bang was actually originally used to mock the idea I believe but the name sort of stuck.No it's not actually the galaxies that move really.Well they do but it's really space itself which is expanding.So as space expands the distance between galaxies get larger.
If space is expanding then at some point in the past it must have been a lot smaller until it reaches an infinitely small,dense and hot point.I'm not sure what you mean by cannot explain the motion of the universe?

If there is enough matter in the universe then the expansion will slow and the universe will contract due to gravity.If there is not enough then it will just expand forever until everything gets further and further apart and the stars burn out.I believe that is the favoured theory at the moment.The heat death of the universe.
So what was compacted into such a small amount of space - less than the diameter of a single atom - and how on earth could something so small create absolutely everything? By the way, i'm not saying that it's impossible seeing as i only know the basics (hence the questions), i'm just trying to understand.

I know that the life cycle of a star requires tremendous amounts of high pressure gravity and helium to undergo nuclear fusion, however, there must have been other elements other than helium in this singularity in order to create compounds and mixtures. Also, for stars which are bigger than our sun, they undergo a supernova and in this process create elements heavier than iron. Does this mean that iron was also in this singularity? If the space was so tiny, then how did a massive impact occur if stars that are the size of our sun (which is obviously much larger than an atom) can only experience a red giant, a white dwarf then a brown dwarf (and the end of its existence) without creating another galaxy?

Thanks for your reply!

Energy can be converted into matter and vice versa.You don't need that much uranium to generate a huge nuclear explosion for example.If there was a lot of energy then it can be converted into lots of mass.Origionally there was only hydrogen and helium.Under gravity the hydrogen contracts and heats up until you get stars.And a star basically converts hydrogen to helium for most of its life but big stars go supernova.The sun is not big enough to a go supernova btw. When the star runs out of hydrogen it then starts fusing helium into carbon.When it runs out of helium it fuses carbon into the next element up until you end up with shells of different elements.When it goes supernova all of this material goes flying out into space and thats how you get heavier elements including the iron in blood for example.To end up on earth this process has to happen several times though.
Ah... That makes sense. How do the heavier elements come into contact with our planet? And how does it get into our blood?
Energy can be converted into matter and vice versa.You don't need that much uranium to generate a huge nuclear explosion for example.If there was a lot of energy then it can be converted into lots of mass.Origionally there was only hydrogen and helium.Under gravity the hydrogen contracts and heats up until you get stars.And a star basically converts hydrogen to helium for most of its life but big stars go supernova.The sun is not big enough to a go supernova btw. When the star runs out of hydrogen it then starts fusing helium into carbon.When it runs out of helium it fuses carbon into the next element up until you end up with shells of different elements.When it goes supernova all of this material goes flying out into space and thats how you get heavier elements including the iron in blood for example.To end up on earth this process has to happen several times though.
I did, the lesbian who was self-conscious about her hairy bum :nothing:

I have seen many, many hilariously bad and ridiculous threads in my time. A choice selection off the top of my head:

"I gave my brother a handjob, do you think this can work between us?"

"I want to impregnate myself with an alpha male, (because I only want children with an alpha), but I'm an independent woman so don't want the alpha in my life. Would it be illegal to have the baby and not put the alpha father on the birth certificate?"

"The sexual mermaid theory"

"Have you white girls ever dreamed of going deep into Africa and having a black man with a curved 10 inch penis fill your sweet innocent white progressive liberal pussy? Such a juxtaposition of cultures breeding for diversity"

"A girl at work looked at me today. Does this mean something?"

"I'm a 17-year-old and I lost my virginity to a 68-year-old man with Dementia. I really love him, will my parents approve?"

"I did a massive dump in my girlfriend's parents' house and clogged the toilet. I left the house and went back home without them knowing. I have 3 missed calls from my girlfriend, should I break up with her to avoid having to explain myself?"

I really do love this site :moon:

OMG wtf :eek4: this site is worse than I thought it was :K:
Nice place for a laugh though :moon:

Btw I have never posted in the study forums :hide: and that's what TSR is for :lol:
Original post by _gcx
I hope the OP doesn't mind if I interrupt;

They never stated that they're sure that they were sure that a god exists.

The fact that evolution occurs is absolutely irrefutable; it can quite easily be observed; just look at how rodents have developed resistance to some poisons. The subject of discussion is normally the theory of evolution by natural selection. Note that "theory" doesn't inherently mean unsubstantiated here, that would be a hypothesis.

Adaptation to the environment is not the same as evolving to a new species.
Reply 53
Great, I'm happy you're part of the 1% that can use your brain and think for yourself.

Congratulations! I'm happy for you.
Ah... That makes sense. How do the heavier elements come into contact with our planet? And how does it get into our blood?

Well iron is a key component of blood.Its part of Haem which makes up haemoglobin that gives it the red pigment. As for how they come into contact with this planet....Well stars go supernova and give off lots of dust and gas which contain heavier elements.This dust and gas condenses to form a spinning disc.Part of the disc becomes the sun and the leftovers become the planets and the asteroids.So all material that makes up the earth and other planets came from material given out by a supernova.Life is composed of organic materials found on earth.Nobody knows how life got started but it came from organic materials found upon earth.The supernova thing has to have happened several times to get to our planet.
Wow! Thanks for replying (i know that i can be pretty annoying so thanks for taking the time to reply - i appreciate it). :h:
Well iron is a key component of blood.Its part of Haem which makes up haemoglobin that gives it the red pigment. As for how they come into contact with this planet....Well stars go supernova and give off lots of dust and gas which contain heavier elements.This dust and gas condenses to form a spinning disc.Part of the disc becomes the sun and the leftovers become the planets and the asteroids.So all material that makes up the earth and other planets came from material given out by a supernova.Life is composed of organic materials found on earth.Nobody knows how life got started but it came from organic materials found upon earth.The supernova thing has to have happened several times to get to our planet.
What's your favourite chocolate?
Reply 57
That's an interesting thought. I love talking to people about their religion without the conversation becoming heated so thank you for your reply.

May i ask why you believe Jesus is who he really claimed to be? Also, whilst you say that you seek reasonable conclusions about the teachings of Jesus, are you implying that the Bible is perhaps flawed and lying in certain aspects (perhaps the 'miracles':wink: and should therefore not be taken literally but more metaphorically? If so, the Bible clearly states which parts are parables; subheadings which do not contain the word 'parable' clearly show that it should be taken literally.

Please feel free to private message me about this discussion - i love talking about this! :smile:

ok, I will PM you, but just to point out:

no, I definitely do not view the bible in that way. I do believe in the miracles described in the bible. To simply say that supernatural occurrences in the bible are the unreasonable parts is to beg the question. It is to presuppose naturalism. Naturalism does not equal reason.

Not to mention the fact that I'm not a rationalist.

Happy to chat on PM
Yes, i look forward to chatting to you!

Yes, if you believe that the miracles described in the Bible are true, then i absolutely agree that you are not a rationalist.

I think that the entire foundations and principles of any religion is unreasonable - i completely disagree with religion and believe that science is the founder of reason as are basic morals that humanity has, not religion. Despite this though, i am not an unreasonable person when it comes to listening to other people's ideas so i look forward to our future chats!
Original post by Pride
ok, I will PM you, but just to point out:

no, I definitely do not view the bible in that way. I do believe in the miracles described in the bible. To simply say that supernatural occurrences in the bible are the unreasonable parts is to beg the question. It is to presuppose naturalism. Naturalism does not equal reason.

Not to mention the fact that I'm not a rationalist.

Happy to chat on PM
Reply 59
Yes, i look forward to chatting to you!

Yes, if you believe that the miracles described in the Bible are true, then i absolutely agree that you are not a rationalist.

I think that the entire foundations and principles of any religion is unreasonable - i completely disagree with religion and believe that science is the founder of reason as are basic morals that humanity has, not religion. Despite this though, i am not an unreasonable person when it comes to listening to other people's ideas so i look forward to our future chats!

"science is the founder of reason"? Really? What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean that we know what is reasonable because of science? That sounds almost like "empiricism". How do you assess the validity of science?

Quick Reply

Latest