The Student Room Group

Kensington and Chelsea college - a warning

Hi!
I attending Kensington and Chelsea college for an Access to HE Science course this past year. All I can say is that is has been nothing short of a shambles, right to the end. If you are considering going there, or have signed up already, please don't. PM if you would like any other details.
Original post by Arianna427
Hi!
I attending Kensington and Chelsea college for an Access to HE Science course this past year. All I can say is that is has been nothing short of a shambles, right to the end. If you are considering going there, or have signed up already, please don't. PM if you would like any other details.

In the interest of transparency, I think you should say what your problems with this college were publicly in this thread.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
In the interest of transparency, I think you should say what your problems with this college were publicly in this thread.

There were many problems throughout the course, alongside the whole college being incredibly disorganised.
The teaching recieved was poor, especially in chemistry, where the teacher often googled during class as he couldn't answer any questions. The practical science unit was to devise your own experiment and write it up, this was given to us in December and due to HUGE delays in getting chemicals and equipment ordered, I didn't complete my experiment until April. This put me under a lot of stress as the final term was crammed into 5 weeks of teaching and included deadlines for 5 other units.
Last but certainly not least, the college delayed the external moderators coming in for so long that we haven't received our exam results. I was due to send them into King's College today and as I haven't got them yet, King's have let me know that my place is no longer guaranteed. I worked extremely hard to achieve the best grades I could and Kensington and Chelsea college have proved themselves to be the most incompetent ****heads that they possibly could be.

A quote from our chemistry teacher that I will never forget "the Big Bang was due to two rocks hitting together".

So if you would like to pay £3.5 for a years worth of terrible education and at the end of it, possibly not even get into the uni that you have received an offer for, attend Kensington and Chelsea College for a great time!!
Reply 3
Hi! I'm just wondering if you finally got your certificate and were able to start at Kings College this year?
Reply 4
Don’t stress LC.. don’t forget that a level results don’t come in until the third week of August. It sounds like this person was incredibly unlucky.It’d not been that organised the last few weeks but that sounds like a very different chemistry teacher to the one we had!
Two years on, I can assure you, things are a LOT worse. So bad, that I am contacting the OIA as none of the 'management' would respond to my emails. Repeated emails, over four months.

Deliberately dumbed down assessments so students can 'pass'. No discipline in the classes by the tutors at all. Students not attending, sometimes for weeks, but still being allowed to continue. YET, a percentage of attendance is mandatory for most students to pass and get their certificates. Fifth rate admin staff on the premises. The main switchboard not being answered. Burseries not being paid on time. The list goes on and on and I have a sack load of complaints against that down-market HELL HOLE!!😤😤😤
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m a teacher and if this is a private college then not all teachers there have to be qualified which isn’t good
Reply 7
Original post by Revengeismine
Two years on, I can assure you, things are a LOT worse. So bad, that I am contacting the OIA as none of the 'management' would respond to my emails. Repeated emails, over four months.

Deliberately dumbed down assessments so students can 'pass'. No discipline in the classes by the tutors at all. Students not attending, sometimes for weeks, but still being allowed to continue. YET, a percentage of attendance is mandatory for most students to pass and get their certificates. Fifth rate admin staff on the premises. The main switchboard not being answered. Burseries not being paid on time. The list goes on and on and I have a sack load of complaints against that down-market HELL HOLE!!😤😤😤

I wish I got a bursary. :tongue:
Most access courses will go out of their way to get students to pass regardless of attendance. They just say attendance is mandatory so students attend. (Ye it does not work.)
Discipline is tough, ye it sucks because it is supposed to be a mature student course yet it is often filled with people straight from a-levels/BTECs who failed because they had poor attendance or couldn't be bothered.

IMO the access course should be for mature students not as an easy route for people who couldnt be bothered with their a-levels. I know not all 18-19 year olds are like this though. But a few lazy ones give the rest a bad name.

An access course is just something to get through and get out of the way. Try not to let it bug you.
Original post by syrialove1981
I’m a teacher and if this is a private college then not all teachers there have to be qualified which isn’t good

If you are a British teacher you should know that this is a state college.
Original post by adam271
I wish I got a bursary. :tongue:
Most access courses will go out of their way to get students to pass regardless of attendance. They just say attendance is mandatory so students attend. (Ye it does not work.)
Discipline is tough, ye it sucks because it is supposed to be a mature student course yet it is often filled with people straight from a-levels/BTECs who failed because they had poor attendance or couldn't be bothered.

IMO the access course should be for mature students not as an easy route for people who couldnt be bothered with their a-levels. I know not all 18-19 year olds are like this though. But a few lazy ones give the rest a bad name.

An access course is just something to get through and get out of the way. Try not to let it bug you.

I am not doing an Access Course and didn't state I was.
I am not doing an Access Course and didn't state I was.

My bad assumed you was as op was complaining about the teaching of the access course there.
If you are a British teacher you should know that this is a state college.

If I don’t work there I don’t need to know anything thanks little kid 🙄

I. As your reply is so utterly brainless I doubt you are a teacher. 2. As you are obviously not familiar with the UK and UK colleges it's best you don't post. 3. Judging by the immaturity of your comment you are the one who is the 'kid' and, of course, you used a kid's emoji. I am British, you obviously are not, and, unlike you, I have a grown family. I suggest you hope back to wherever you came from.

Btw, I suggest you stick to your basic literacy classes in English before indulging your fantasies of being a teacher, my dear.
Chill out.
Btw, I suggest you stick to your basic literacy classes in English before indulging your fantasies of being a teacher, my dear.

Lol 😂 🤦🏻*♀️ grow up little one
Original post by Arianna427
Hi!

I also attended this college. Now I’m having a hard time getting a reply from them. Do you by any chance know which exam board the used?
It is now called Morley College. Maybe the email addresses have changed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending