The Student Room Group

Hi there, I am a BA student hoping to ask an MA Art Therapy student 4 questions

I am studying BA Fine Art at the moment and we have been set a task of interviewing a professional, e.g. an artist, a gallery owner, gallery curator, MA student, head of a place of artistic education...

My aim is to become an art therapist so I figured interviewing someone in this field would be most helpful for my work. I only need to ask 4 questions, but I may end up asking a couple more if I feel the need to ask more in order to understand better. None of the questions will be too personal and none will ask you to share information that you are not allowed to. An example would be, 'What led you to decide art therapy was what you wanted to do?'

I would be really grateful if someone would be willing to let me interview them.

Thank you! :smile:
- Annabel
Hi! I will be studying MA Art Therapy starting Sep 2017. Haven't started the course yet. Let me know if you find me suitable to help :wink:
Original post by Molimolimolly
Hi! I will be studying MA Art Therapy starting Sep 2017. Haven't started the course yet. Let me know if you find me suitable to help :wink:

Hi Molimolimolly,

I understand that this is out of the blue but what undergraduate courses did you take in order to be accepted for the MA Art Therapy course that your starting in September?

Many thanks,

Sapphire
Original post by Sapphire1905
Hi Molimolimolly,

I understand that this is out of the blue but what undergraduate courses did you take in order to be accepted for the MA Art Therapy course that your starting in September?

Many thanks,

Sapphire

Universities have a list of entry requirements on their websites under the courses, I know you didn't ask me but the uni's I've looked at take people who studied art, but also people who studied courses like psychology, sociology, psychiatric nursing etc. I saw on one of the uni's websites that a teaching degree could also be ok.
Original post by uusseerrnnaammee
Universities have a list of entry requirements on their websites under the courses, I know you didn't ask me but the uni's I've looked at take people who studied art, but also people who studied courses like psychology, sociology, psychiatric nursing etc. I saw on one of the uni's websites that a teaching degree could also be ok.

Hi username!

Thank you so much! I only have an FDA degree in Art and Design but I have also had personal experience of being hospitalised with drug induced psychosis and art really helped me to overcome my time in hospital. So I'm 25 and would be classed as a mature student and was wondering whether I would have to top my degree up first but I'll have a look at the entry requirements!

Many thanks,

Sapphire
Hi Molimolimolly,

Many thanks,

Sapphire

Hi Sapphire!

Yes, username is right. I did an undergraduate degree in art history but that was nothing about practical art. I further took a psychology certificate and studio art diploma after that. They prefer to take students with experience in the humanity/people service field like social worker, teacher, nurse, etc. Personally I do not have such experience but I have around ten years of community volunteer experience so I guess that would help too. Hope it answers your question.
Hi Sapphire!

Yes, username is right. I did an undergraduate degree in art history but that was nothing about practical art. I further took a psychology certificate and studio art diploma after that. They prefer to take students with experience in the humanity/people service field like social worker, teacher, nurse, etc. Personally I do not have such experience but I have around ten years of community volunteer experience so I guess that would help too. Hope it answers your question.

Hi Molly,

That helps so much thank you for responding. If you don't mind me asking what kind of work did you do within the community, volunteering?

I'm planning on heading back from my travels in New Zealand and maybe going into healthcare to achieve an NVQ then after looking into art therapy once I have experience in healthcare. Hopefully this will help! I have a diploma and an FDA degree in practical art and design so I'm hoping that will be enough as well as my own ongoing portfolio.

Many thanks for you time and answers.

Sapphire
Hi Molly,

That helps so much thank you for responding. If you don't mind me asking what kind of work did you do within the community, volunteering?

I'm planning on heading back from my travels in New Zealand and maybe going into healthcare to achieve an NVQ then after looking into art therapy once I have experience in healthcare. Hopefully this will help! I have a diploma and an FDA degree in practical art and design so I'm hoping that will be enough as well as my own ongoing portfolio.

Many thanks for you time and answers.

Sapphire

Hi Sapphire, I am from overseas and I took part in elderly community service. However I think any client groups would help too. May I know what's NVQ?
Hi Sapphire, I am from overseas and I took part in elderly community service. However I think any client groups would help too. May I know what's NVQ?

Hi Molly,

Thank you for the information and an NVQ is just a basic knowledge qualification for beginning as a health care assistant.
Hi Annabel,I'm entering my final year of MA Dramatherapy, can I help with anything?Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending