The Student Room Group

Only the good Uni's should survive.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I 100% agree

Modern universities have become like a "fast food experience", all life and emotion taken out of it, only done for profit.

University was once a life changing, eye opening experience where you learn and experience a new thing everyday and make contacts that stayed with you for life.
. Now it's all about debt and worthless degrees.

Modern technology is to blame but also the rise of worthless universities too.
Original post by r3035
I 100% agree

Modern universities have become like a "fast food experience", all life and emotion taken out of it, only done for profit.

University was once a life changing, eye opening experience where you learn and experience a new thing everyday and make contacts that stayed with you for life.

You don't think current students can have "a life changing, eye opening experience where you learn and experience a new thing everyday and make contacts that stayed with you for life"? Really?
Reply 102
Original post by Doonesbury
You don't think current students can have "a life changing, eye opening experience where you learn and experience a new thing everyday and make contacts that stayed with you for life"? Really?

Some might.

But it feels like they just want your money, hand you a degree and kick you out the door.

Maybe I am the one with the problem, not everyone else.
Original post by r3035

You can blame STEM then right? :tongue:
Original post by r3035
Some might.

But it feels like they just want your money, hand you a degree and kick you out the door.

Maybe I am the one with the problem, not everyone else.

A university has never handed anyone that "life-changing experience" on a plate. That's up to you, the student, to make the most of the environment and everything that goes along with it.
Original post by r3035
I 100% agree

Original post by Doonesbury

The idea of a university is supposed to be that you go to learn skills so you can become something, I think a lot of young people choose to go to university to avoid becoming something. And the university is happy to sell that product to people, 3 years of shirking the real world. Buy now, pay later.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
The idea of a university is supposed to be that you go to learn skills so you can become something, I think a lot of young people choose to go to university to avoid becoming something. And the university is happy to sell that product to people, 3 years of shirking the real world. Buy now, pay later.

Gotta agree with you there, feels like a lot of people apply to uni just for the sake of it.
Reply 107
Original post by BigYoSpeck

where would I go become a better person ? and learn to become a good citizen ?

Maybe you are right, university is not the place to become that type of person.

University is a 3 year party. I wish university was a place of learning.
Original post by r3035
where would I go become a better person ? and learn to become a good citizen ?

Maybe you are right, university is not the place to become that type of person.

University is a 3 year party. I wish university was a place of learning.

You can achieve that at university provided you're making a good choice. I just wouldn't count on the universities advice on those choices as their priority is selling the place to you not if it benefits you in the future.

What subject are you looking at pursuing?
'Good' isn't a very tangible concept in regards to universities. An overall lower ranked uni can still be exceptionally good for a number of courses.
Original post by worldender
Every time I see this mind-blowingly uninformed thread reposted, I get a little bit closer to deleting my account

How can you delete an account? Is it possible?
Original post by FresherX
How can you delete an account? Is it possible?

You can indeed, from your account settings. It won't delete your posts or anything though, just permanently ban your account :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest