The Student Room Group

Grade boundaries come out on results day

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

1. For some papers, seeing the grade boundaries usually makes me feel more confident and certain in achieving my desired grade(s), which makes me less anxious when opening results.

2. For others, where i feel my score is more marginal/near the grade boundary it causes me to spend 24 hours agonising over which side of the grade boundary i will fall on.

Overall I think it's probably a good thing bc spending a day religiously studying the grade boundaries and trying to work out my mark/grade was never fun but i could never stop myself from doing it anyway.
Original post by NotNotBatman
For the last two years edexcel has tweeted that grade boundaries will be available on results day, yet they were still available at midnight the day before results day.

do you know if aqa and ocr did this?
Original post by AspiringUnderdog

I'm not sure, as all of my subjects are on the edexcel board.

Not sure about OCR but AQA are.
Original post by hoafanuk
Not sure about OCR but AQA are.

aqa are what?
aqa are what?

Sorry misread the question lmao, thought you asked if aqa are releasing them on results day this year.
Reply 86
This is so annoying!!... what's the point of releasing them ON the day!😕😕
Original post by RussianQuestion
The UMS converter for AQA is available the day before.

Really?
Original post by Mychemicalalevel
Really?

Not this year.
Original post by Forecast
Not this year.

Their website did say a couple of days ago that the ums converter would be available for everyone on the Wednesday.
They might have changed their minds though!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Their website did say a couple of days ago that the ums converter would be available for everyone on the Wednesday.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, so it does. Fairly bone-headed of them!
Oh, so it does. Fairly bone-headed of them!

Depends on the real reason why they aren't releasing them until results day (I'm pretty sure reducing anxiety wasn't the reason somehow). If it's in any way linked to the likely grade boundaries of the new linear A levels (while they hadn't all been set when they announced this, they analyse trends and likely boundaries as they go along so they would have some idea) then it could be as they're happy to release the outgoing specification gbs but cannot say this so are "keeping them all back" while in reality releasing the ones they are happy to release if you care to look!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Depends on the real reason why they aren't releasing them until results day (I'm pretty sure reducing anxiety wasn't the reason somehow). If it's in any way linked to the likely grade boundaries of the new linear A levels (while they hadn't all been set when they announced this, they analyse trends and likely boundaries as they go along so they would have some idea) then it could be as they're happy to release the outgoing specification gbs but cannot say this so are "keeping them all back" while in reality releasing the ones they are happy to release if you care to look!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting thoughts... perhaps there are some 'controversial' grade boundaries to come this year?
Original post by Lemur14
Posted from TSR Mobile

The new linear a-levels don't have UMS though?
Interesting thoughts... perhaps there are some 'controversial' grade boundaries to come this year?

There's controversial grade boundaries most years tbh. Might be worse than usual though
Original post by teenhorrorstory
The new linear a-levels don't have UMS though?

That's my point. They're basically releasing the grade boundaries for any of the outgoing specifications, but not the new linear ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
There's controversial grade boundaries most years tbh. Might be worse than usual though

That's my point. They're basically releasing the grade boundaries for any of the outgoing specifications, but not the new linear ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh I see. Do you think the grade boundaries will be high?
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Ohh I see. Do you think the grade boundaries will be high?

Some of them may be unexpectedly high, but equally some of them may be unexpectedly low.
Not all of the papers will be the same (as in particularly high or low compared to estimates)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Is this legit? This is ridiculous
Reply 98
Exam boards always finding a new way to shaft us
Original post by Lemur14

Not ones of national interest though. I think the passing mark for the new GCSE maths may possibly raise some eyebrows.

Quick Reply

Latest