Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amefish
Here are the assessment objective weightings, which I think will help you:

AQA

OCR

Thank you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 21
This is very useful thanks, makes me feel much more at ease for when I start my epq in September
Original post by Amefish

There are an overwhelming amount of questions on the EPQ in the Study Help section:smartass: so I'm here to shed some light on some of these FAQ and give you all a full, comprehensive guide to the qualification, including what you can do right now to get started! :thumbsup:

1. Picking the Perfect Title :fluffy:

1.1 Choosing the Topic

1.2 Choosing a Title

2. Planning and Deadlines :puppyeyes:

2.1 Planning

2.2 Artefact or Research Paper?

2.3 Deadlines

3. Research Sources :top2:

3.1 Picking Sources

3.2 Referencing

4. The Report :woo:

4.1 Structuring the Report

4.2 Presenting Your Data

5. The Presentation! :clap2:

5.1 A Summary

And finally, a special thanks to @Leviathan1741, @PQ and @littleswany for their contributions to the thread :grouphugs:

My school said for me to research doing the summer... is this just taking notes from my sources???
Reply 23
Original post by SuperHuman98
My school said for me to research doing the summer... is this just taking notes from my sources???

Research at this stage could be as simple as collating sources that could be useful for later on. If you don't have your report sections planned out then it can be difficult to decide what information you actually need from your sources, but you could make notes to put in one of your introductory paragraphs :smile:

Of course, if you come across anything really interesting or important, it's probably a good idea to note that down too!
Instead of this referencing malarkeyy, I have a grid in which I evaluate every single source i use with questions like 'when was it written' 'is the author reputable'. Is this okay? I can attach it to show what i mean!
Reply 25
Original post by eviebrizzle
Instead of this referencing malarkeyy, I have a grid in which I evaluate every single source i use with questions like 'when was it written' 'is the author reputable'. Is this okay? I can attach it to show what i mean!

It's good that you evaluate your sources - this makes up part of the marking criteria :smile: but you also need to reference within your report to ensure that you're acknowledging someone else's work and that you're not indirectly claiming it as your own. It's good practice for when you go to university :h:
@PQ As a PS reviewer, what would you say is the best way to write about the EPQ in PS?
@PQ As a PS reviewer, what would you say is the best way to write about the EPQ in PS?

As with anything in a PS to talk about specifics.

Details make it personal. What was interesting, what was difficult, what surprised you, what went smoothly, what would you do differently if you were starting again.

You don't have to answer each of those questions in your ps but that's the sort of thing that will let your personality show.
@Amefish I am doing EPQ on AQA, I have some forms and on one I write out my ideas,sources,comments/advice, and plans. But I am finding it really easy to write so much and I am handwriting this so ran out of space. I think I am just going to have to use the online form and type it up. Is this normal? Or is the space supposed to be enough? :smile:
Reply 29
@Amefish I am doing EPQ on AQA, I have some forms and on one I write out my ideas,sources,comments/advice, and plans. But I am finding it really easy to write so much and I am handwriting this so ran out of space. I think I am just going to have to use the online form and type it up. Is this normal? Or is the space supposed to be enough? :smile:

You definitely don't have to hand-write it all on the official documents, you should be able to access editable documents. You can write so much more in that space when you're typing, I don't think I could have fit it all in if I had to write everything by hand! Just a tip though, it's best to write it out in a separate word document first and then transfer it over, because the official editable documents don't have the spelling & grammar checking facilities as far as I know!
Original post by Amefish

There are an overwhelming amount of questions on the EPQ in the Study Help section:smartass: so I'm here to shed some light on some of these FAQ and give you all a full, comprehensive guide to the qualification, including what you can do right now to get started! :thumbsup:

1. Picking the Perfect Title :fluffy:

1.1 Choosing the Topic

1.2 Choosing a Title

2. Planning and Deadlines :puppyeyes:

2.1 Planning

2.2 Artefact or Research Paper?

2.3 Deadlines

3. Research Sources :top2:

3.1 Picking Sources

3.2 Referencing

4. The Report :woo:

4.1 Structuring the Report

4.2 Presenting Your Data

5. The Presentation! :clap2:

5.1 A Summary

And finally, a special thanks to @Leviathan1741, @PQ and @littleswany for their contributions to the thread :grouphugs:

thanks for the guide. But I would like some help though as I've got an animated artefact about the influences of american and japanese animation styles on each other - and I have no idea how to format the report - i.e what sort of stuff goes in it. have you got any advice for that? thanks :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by BlueNova42
thanks for the guide. But I would like some help though as I've got an animated artefact about the influences of american and japanese animation styles on each other - and I have no idea how to format the report - i.e what sort of stuff goes in it. have you got any advice for that? thanks :smile:

There are lots of different approaches you could take. You might want to start out doing research on both styles individually and also do research on the influences. This will help you shape the structure of your report.

Broadly, you might want to start with a brief discussion of the American style, then the Japanese style, then start a discussion on the influences that they've had on each other. The exact title of your report should help you decide what else needs to be involved, ie a title regarding 'the extent to which American animation styles are influenced by Japanese styles' could allow you to include information about other styles that have had an influence too.

The EPQ is really flexible, so make it your own and don't be afraid to jump right into it and follow your instincts.
Reply 32
I've just started my EPQ and one of the first things we have to do is make a timeline to plan our schedule of what needs to be completed and when. What needs to be included in it? And any suggestions for time management (I know a lot of people struggle with this doing EPQ and would have done things differently). Thanks :smile:
Reply 33
I have started mine on a topic we are going to do next year in great depth in year 13, should I not do this?
hi please help i am so lost

i thought of like 20 different topics and all were rejected from my supervisor because they linked to what i was doing in a level

i really want to do economics at uni but because i take it in a level my teacher says i cant do anything related to economics, i dont know what else to do now and want to give up
I know I want to do an Artefact for my EPQ, but I want to do it based on dance and I didn't know if I can research the same/ similar topics that I study in A level dance. I really need t know whether it's possible to do this
Reply 36
any specific tips for writing the literature review, aside from ddiscud=ssing bias etc. what actually needs to be said and included?
hi, very helpful what you have provided. could you please explain the bibliography, i'm quite confused regrading that.
Reply 38
Don't know if this has been said already but I have found a presentation site called 'Beautiful.AI' to be amazing for a minimal style presentation. It has great resources for presenting data, people, and your ideas. It is also very sleek and has a great design which is fun to play around with. I am using it for my current EPQ and all I have recommended it to have found it great. Good luck!!
Reply 39
bit late but it is a list of your sources you used. This means a list of the books, sites, newspapers, journals, academic reports, ect. which you used for your EPQ. They don't have to be directly referenced or used in your report but may have influenced them. To create one, I would recommend using Word or if you cant use that -.citethisforme - is a good one too.

Intext Citations:
Having your mouse/cursor at the end of the word/phrase you want to reference. For word you go to 'References' then go 'Insert Citations'. Plug in the style you want to reference in and then put in the details.

Other Citations:
Click 'Citations'. A pop up on the left should appear. Go to the + sign at the bottom and fill in the details.

At the end go to 'References' and then to 'Bibliography' and choose the style.
Original post by mohammadsusan4
hi, very helpful what you have provided. could you please explain the bibliography, i'm quite confused regrading that.

Quick Reply

Latest