The Student Room Group

Do you think there is any chance that tuition fees in England will go down?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
Exactly right!

No? No what? They don't have an income of around 50k? They must do, or else you would have got a bigger maintenance loan. You are wealthy from my perspective. How your parents spend money is irrelevant, see Notorious_B.I.G's post above.

No, they don't! My mum is a nurse and my dad is retired:rofl: You're forgetting that I earnt about 10k each year for a couple of years before uni, which was taken into account, and the fact that your parents' and your own SAVINGS are also taken into account. Two people on working class jobs CAN save up quite a bit of money, you know, if they're careful!
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I moved back home for summer and here I have a part time job.

What if you didn't have a part-time job? There are areas of the country with significant unemployment. You are not able to claim JSA/UC as a full-time student.

You would have had to turn to your parents or your savings.
No, they don't! My mum is a nurse and my dad is retired:rofl: You're forgetting that I earnt about 10k each year for a couple of years before uni, which was taken into account, and the fact that your parents' and your own SAVINGS are also taken into account. Two people on working class jobs CAN save up quite a bit of money, you know, if they're careful!

Only interest on savings is taken into account. You would need hundreds of thousands in savings before it made any difference to your eligibility.

I'm not sure if your salary was included in the maintenance loan calculation or not (I thought it wasn't, but I could be wrong), but even if it was, by your own admission your parents have a lot of savings - they could help you if you really needed it, others are not so lucky.
Reply 63
Oh whoops, no I am not. But that doesn't matter, because I am 99.9% sure that your own income counts in England too.

Yes see my edit(s) above. Student earnings (including investment income) is included, but savings (and capital) certainly isn't which was my main point.
I'm hoping they go up to 12k, forget down... that will really ensure that the government has the amount of money they need to get through this Brexit malarky and start reinvesting adequate amounts in social welfare
The point is that they didn't need to help me because I lived within my means, which anybody can do. What so you're saying those people should just be given money, rather than be expected to work a part time job?:curious:

Um, it covered my rent! Which was just less than 4k iirc. I'll get my budget out (yes, I made a budget and recorded everything I spent).

£ 5,368.00 £ 3,792.00 £ 1,576.00
Left is my loan, middle was my rent (I went for the cheapest accommodation, ofc), right is what I had left. I finished the year, from September 16 to July 17 with £45 left.

I moved back home for summer and here I have a part time job.

Oh whoops, no I am not. But that doesn't matter, because I am 99.9% sure that your own income counts in England too.

Not everyone's rent is that cheap. Nor does everyone have the option of such cheap rent or moving home for the summer.

It's not about living within your means. Not everyone's loan covers their rent, not everyone is lucky enough to be able to get a part time job over the summer, etc.

Just because you manage, doesn't mean everyone else can.

Oh, and I finished the year with £3k left; so why can't everyone else...
Pfft, I doubt the fees will be reduced but we can always hope for a miracle
Original post by Doonesbury
A £30k salary would have monthly repayments of £67. That's a starbucks coffee a day.

How do you know that though?

The terms of repayment have already been changed once- ie wasnt the repayment threshold fozen at 21k for 5 years rather than going up annually with inflation? (I could be wrong on that)

How do you know that repayment terms wont be changed again eg they may not write it off after the 30 years/ raise the 9% figure/ lower or freeze the repayment threshold?

One thing that puts me off going to university is that I fear that the repayment terms could be changed again- I don't know what I'm signing up to when taking out a student loan.

I am also concerned that changes could be made to repayment terms when/if the debt is sold to a private company, which as far as I know the government is considering selling the debt off to a private company (I could be wrong on that)

This post isnt just directed at you, I see many people here on TSR talking about the student loan system as if it is set in stone, but like I say, the repayment terms have already been altered retrospectively by the government
Original post by bloomblaze
How do you know that though?

The terms of repayment have already been changed once- ie wasnt the repayment threshold fozen at 21k for 5 years rather than going up annually with inflation? (I could be wrong on that)

How do you know that repayment terms wont be changed again eg they may not write it off after the 30 years/ raise the 9% figure/ lower or freeze the repayment threshold?

One thing that puts me off going to university is that I fear that the repayment terms could be changed again- I don't know what I'm signing up to when taking out a student loan.

I am also concerned that changes could be made to repayment terms when/if the debt is sold to a private company, which as far as I know the government is considering selling the debt off to a private company (I could be wrong on that)

This post isnt just directed at you, I see many people here on TSR talking about the student loan system as if it is set in stone, but like I say, the repayment terms have already been altered retrospectively by the government

They haven't changed the repayments threshold. Those who started before September 2012, have seen their threshold go up. (still less than 21k though) But there has never been a change to the repayment terms.
Original post by Tiger Rag
They haven't changed the repayments threshold. Those who started before September 2012, have seen their threshold go up. (still less than 21k though) But there has never been a change to the repayment terms.

(I dont think you understand what Im getting at)

whats all this about then? (links below)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/loans/2015/11/autumn-statement-2015-hidden-retrospective-hike-in-student-loans-repayments-a-disgrace

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jun/04/government-under-pressure-over-student-loans

Unless I'm mistaken, the above articles mention that when the 9k system was introduced, the threshold of 21k was meant to rise annually with inflation, but the government then decided a few years later to freeze that threshold for five years- again, unless I'm mistaken, that is a change in the repayment terms which affects students who took out the loans in the 9k system before this 5 year freeze was announced.

Going back to my previous post, my concern is that further down the line, more changes to the repayment system could be made by the government (eg the 9% could be raised, the 30 year period extended etc)...

Going back to my previous post, my concern is that further down the line, more changes to the repayment system could be made by the government (eg the 9% could be raised, the 30 year period extended etc)...

Although I suspect most students would oppose privaisation of the SLC, that is the one thing that would prevent future alteration in the terms of the loan. If the government sells off the loan book, it is not going to give the buyer the opportunity to alter the terms to make more money.
Reply 72

It can be a "concern" but equally everything in the future can be a concern. There are potentially much bigger socio-economic impacts (Brexit, etc, etc) coming than whether or not they extend the 30 year period (I think this is a possibility, but more likely only for new students), or increase the 9% rate (I think this is less likely) on student loans.

None of this should prevent you from going to university if that's what you want to do.
It can be a "concern" but equally everything in the future can be a concern. There are potentially much bigger socio-economic impacts (Brexit, etc, etc) coming than whether or not they extend the 30 year period (I think this is a possibility, but more likely only for new students), or increase the 9% rate (I think this is less likely) on student loans.

None of this should prevent you from going to university if that's what you want to do.

I dont know what to think.

Are you personally paying 9k for a degree?
Some good links here, hopefully the labour vote from students will scare the conservatives enough to go into talks at least.

Students are the future MyStartOut will guarantee that Britain`s next generation will own Britain without government messing things up.
Original post by Snufkin
Come off it. If you're receiving a maintenance loan of 5k then your household income must be around £50,000. That is wealthy. :rolleyes:

I might sound like an ignorant american but £50000/year family income is something like $66111.33/year BEFORE taxes. That is not wealthy...

I know plenty of people who earn double that alone.
Reply 76
I think the real issue here isnt the 9k. Its living costs
Reply 77
Original post by justme13
I might sound like an ignorant american but £50000/year family income is something like $66111.33/year BEFORE taxes. That is not wealthy...

I know plenty of people who earn double that alone.

It's almost twice the average salary, and in the top 10% salary bracket.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's almost twice the average salary, and in the top 10% salary bracket.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe N. American's are just paid more... but for a family income (dual income) it's not a lot especially if you have 2 or more dependant children.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by justme13
Maybe N. American's are just paid more... but for a family income (dual income) it's not a lot especially if you have 2 or more dependant children.

We are talking about individual salaries not household.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending