The Student Room Group

Narrowly failed a module on the LPC, lost my Training Contract

Hi guys. I'm an international student, and I graduated from a top Russell Group Uni with a low 2.1 in 2016.
I first applied for and got a training contract at a city firm in 2015. I have been doing my LPC at BPP, and I somehow managed to fail one of my modules by 3 marks. This still genuinely surprises me and I'm at a loss because I have attained a commendation at the very least in all my other modules, and I thought for sure that I'd at least manage a 50 worst come in that module.
My firm, despite my best efforts, has decided to rescind the offer. I'm absolutely clueless on what to do next or where to move on towards.
The TC cycle now is for the year 2020 which is too far away.
I was thinking of doing the NY bar and then the QLTS but that doesn't guarantee me of a job. I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you. I'm this clueless because I haven't thought of a plan B since 2015, and I didn't think it would ever come to this situation. Help.

This situation has just come at the worst and most inconvenient time. Emphasis on inconvenient.

BPP also have no appeal or revaluation procedure in place that I can take advantage of.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InDireStraits94
Hi guys. I'm an international student, and I graduated from a top Russell Group Uni with a low 2.1 in 2016.
I first applied for and got a training contract at a city firm in 2015. I have been doing my LPC at BPP, and I somehow managed to fail one of my modules by 3 marks. This still genuinely surprises me and I'm at a loss because I have attained a commendation at the very least in all my other modules, and I thought for sure that I'd at least manage a 50 worst come in that module.
My firm, despite my best efforts, has decided to rescind the offer. I'm absolutely clueless on what to do next or where to move on towards.
The TC cycle now is for the year 2020 which is too far away.
I was thinking of doing the NY bar and then the QLTS but that doesn't guarantee me of a job. I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you. I'm this clueless because I haven't thought of a plan B since 2015, and I didn't think it would ever come to this situation. Help.

This situation has just come at the worst and most inconvenient time. Emphasis on inconvenient.

BPP also have no appeal or revaluation procedure in place that I can take advantage of.

The poster JSP will give you an answer when he gets round to it as he's an RC.

I'm actually short of ideas as well.as its a tough break, but then its a tough business.Presumably you got your TC in the second year when your results were unknown or on the basis of just year 2?

Not convinced of the NY route as I know someone who did that and it ended up the worst of both worlds because they didnt have any experience.

As you know legal training is changing in 2020 with the SPQ meaning training contracts are no longer needed, but I think it will also mean more competition. I do recognise you being international makes it even trickier (Presumably they took you on party because of the international aspect?), but if your aim is to stay in the UK, then you are more or less back to square one with every other international candidate. Maybe you will strike lucky and find a firm that is still offering TC;s and willing to sponsor you, but thats a tough ask.

Hopefully JSP will have some good ideas.
Hi. Thanks for your response. Hope this comes to JSP's attention soon.

Tough break is putting it lightly man, this just turned my entire world and life upside down. I got my TC towards the end of my second year right after I finished my exams. I got my vac scheme offer based on my first year and first half of second year which I then managed to turn into a TC.

Ah, what is that dual qualified person you know doing currently?

Just at a complete loss. I'd finalized on a house, and went the whole nine yards. Devastated.
Original post by InDireStraits94
Hi. Thanks for your response. Hope this comes to JSP's attention soon.

Tough break is putting it lightly man, this just turned my entire world and life upside down. I got my TC towards the end of my second year right after I finished my exams. I got my vac scheme offer based on my first year and first half of second year which I then managed to turn into a TC.

Ah, what is that dual qualified person you know doing currently?

Just at a complete loss. I'd finalized on a house, and went the whole nine yards. Devastated.

You could try posting on rollonfriday, but they might be a bit brutal so be prepared.

I'm not sure theres anything anyone can say. Its a tough break so you have to deal with it. You are out there with other TC hunting students and you know what that is like. My only opinion is dont go down the NY Bar QLT route as its a massive risk.
Reply 4
It's a tough world out there! It's a risk (albeit I am sure one that everyone would take) to accept a TC with certain criteria linked to the LPC and occasionally someone will fall foul of it.

There isn't much advice aside from either a) crack on with applying for a TC b) look to qualify via the non-TC route or c) consider another career.
Yeap, non-EU.

I'm also considering doing an LLM since that gives me an extra year here to figure things out and give another shot at applying
Hi JSP you really know your stuff on this. I know of a similar situation. What advice can you give for a uk citizen candidate who lost a training contract having failed LPC stage 1 at BPP by two marks. Is it worth repeating Stage 1 on his own funds? or just applying for a new TC and redoing the whole LPC? or applying for a long term paralegal role and getting the relevant exemptions for qualification purposes? or career change. would love to know your thoughts
Sounds incredibly harsh of the firm, better off not working for them. Sounds like a gift and you've dodged a bullet.

Don't bother with the NY Bar, you could either give TCs another go, nothing wrong with putting your hat into the ring; but yes, best off considering alternative careers for now, e.g. civil service, journalism, finance.
You can always apply for other TC's. With your qualifications, I'm sure it's attainable. Maybe not at the level you had hoped but will mean you qualify ASAP
Sorry to hear about this. You could always start applying for TCs starting sooner (you can get TCs on the LPC though it is more likely to be smaller firms, ask BPP's careers service), and perhaps move after qualification if you want?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by J-SP
This is an incredibly tricky situation and I think I will probably give you an answer you don't want to hear.

1) I would recommend looking into completing the LPC anyway by retaking the module. You might as well try to complete the course, but

2) The NY Bar + QLTS will not help you get a role in the UK or the US. You will be deemed over qualified but under experienced in the UK, and under qualified in the US.

When you say an international student, do you mean non-EU? I ask as this is going to have an impact on what to do next.

Original post by 999tigger
The poster JSP will give you an answer when he gets round to it as he's an RC.

I'm actually short of ideas as well.as its a tough break, but then its a tough business.Presumably you got your TC in the second year when your results were unknown or on the basis of just year 2?

Not convinced of the NY route as I know someone who did that and it ended up the worst of both worlds because they didnt have any experience.

As you know legal training is changing in 2020 with the SPQ meaning training contracts are no longer needed, but I think it will also mean more competition. I do recognise you being international makes it even trickier (Presumably they took you on party because of the international aspect?), but if your aim is to stay in the UK, then you are more or less back to square one with every other international candidate. Maybe you will strike lucky and find a firm that is still offering TC;s and willing to sponsor you, but thats a tough ask.

Hopefully JSP will have some good ideas.

What's an RC if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 11
Original post by J-SP
I’m guessing they mean recruiter.

Thanks can you say who you recruit for?
Apply for other TC's

Apply for paralegal roles, some people get TC's through paralegal work.

Maybe consider joining a legal recruitment agency?

LLM

BPTC?

Depending on experience/preference, the financial industry like legal degrees, you could always try to dip into that; investments, insurance etc.

I am sorry that this has happened, seems harsh. Maybe dodged a bullet considering the company doesn't support their trainees.
Reply 13
Original post by J-SP
I don’t work in-house anymore. Even if I did, though I wouldn’t be broadcasting it (but then I wouldn’t be posting at all if I was).

Fair enough. You just gave me advice once on a post (deleted that account) and I got anxious that you might work at the firm associated.
Reply 14
Original post by J-SP
Paranoid much?

Seriously, even if I did work at a firm you asked a question about, I very much doubt I’d be able to connect you to an application form.

But if I did work at that firm, I wouldn’t be answering questions about them on the sly. Too much of a massive PR risk.

Probably am paranoid yes. I didn't mean to question your professionalism. It was just a very personal matter. I wasn't asking about a particular firm but thanks anyway for responding.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by J-SP
No offence taken - just trying to reassure you that you have nothing to worry about.

I get asked a lot of things on here - I difficult to even remember most of it, no matter how personal or individual it may seem

I have a feeling you would remember this. But thank you. All the best
My daughter completed the LPC as an International Student at BPP and failed the last exam. Can you advise as to which schools she can apply to repeat the module. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending