The Student Room Group

"An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth"

Is this statement valid in all circumstances?

What do you think?
"an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"
It is valid in no circumstances. Abandon ancient superstitions and try to be modern and rational.
What is "modern and rational"? @Good bloke
@cloudyeyes - True.

2 popular sayings!
Reply 5
The ultimate Biblical meaning of the phrase 'eye for an eye' is straightforward. God will repay those who do wrong using the same principle of fairness expressed in his law(Matthew 7:2, Luke 6:38, Colossians 3:25, etc.). Governments, if they want to administer fair and just punishment, should also follow God's laws. In our daily, personal lives however we should not seek vengeance or seek to repay someone in the same way or magnitude they harmed us. As believers and children of God we are instructed to forgive and to follow the advice Paul wrote at the very end of Romans 12 to overcome evil with good (Romans 12:21). This verse an "eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot" Exodus 21 vs 24 (please always quote where you got the statement from). Jesus (my God and Saviour) said in Matthew 5 vs 38-44

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
This long quotation debunks any other reasoning, as my Lord and Saviour Jesus gave us His answer as evidenced in the above scriptural verse.

Also, some people might mean this verse promotes violence, that we should retaliate when faced with violence. However, I do not think it does because the Bible said in Matthew 22 vs 21 "They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's" This verse supports the notion that we as Christians should follow the law of the land. In the UK and the rest of the World, being violent is not following the law of the land, so we as Christians are not meant to be violent but peaceful

Judging by your TSR name I know your ultimate aim.
^
@Vanny17 - Please. Nice to know your input, but I have no "ultimate aim". I did not think of this in a religious context, I just wanted to know people's views. Please stop trying to assume things and create conflicts.

Thank you.
I hear this phrase many times in situations, without religious context or purpose and so I wanted to know people's understanding of this.
Original post by cloudyeyes

Technically it would just make the whole world lose it's depth perception...
Reply 9
Original post by sulaimanali
^
@Vanny17 - Please. Nice to know your input, but I have no "ultimate aim". I did not think of this in a religious context, I just wanted to know people's views. Please stop trying to assume things and create conflicts.

Thank you.

If you say so. Only God knows the heart of man.
Original post by Wanderlust96
Technically it would just make the whole world lose it's depth perception...

Technically, repeat offenders would lose depth perception in two eyes.
Original post by sulaimanali
What is "modern and rational"? @Good bloke

I'd have thought that was obvious as the words are straightforward: acting on current standards of law, morality and knowledge, holding beliefs that are firmly grounded on evidence and thinking matters through in the light of all that.

It doesn't. It makes one guy blind and the other a pirate :pirate2:
(edited 6 years ago)
No. It’s silly imo.
Original post by Vanny17
The ultimate Biblical meaning of the phrase 'eye for an eye' is straightforward. God will repay those who do wrong using the same principle of fairness expressed in his law(Matthew 7:2, Luke 6:38, Colossians 3:25, etc.). Governments, if they want to administer fair and just punishment, should also follow God's laws. In our daily, personal lives however we should not seek vengeance or seek to repay someone in the same way or magnitude they harmed us. As believers and children of God we are instructed to forgive and to follow the advice Paul wrote at the very end of Romans 12 to overcome evil with good (Romans 12:21). This verse an "eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot" Exodus 21 vs 24 (please always quote where you got the statement from). Jesus (my God and Saviour) said in Matthew 5 vs 38-44

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
This long quotation debunks any other reasoning, as my Lord and Saviour Jesus gave us His answer as evidenced in the above scriptural verse.

Also, some people might mean this verse promotes violence, that we should retaliate when faced with violence. However, I do not think it does because the Bible said in Matthew 22 vs 21 "They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's" This verse supports the notion that we as Christians should follow the law of the land. In the UK and the rest of the World, being violent is not following the law of the land, so we as Christians are not meant to be violent but peaceful

Judging by your TSR name I know your ultimate aim.

Please cease your accusations, they’re not needed and it’s just rude. There’s nothing against asking a question, thanks for your interpretation, let’s keep accusations out of this.

Cheers.
'A tooth for a tooth makes the whole world all gummy and gross, like ew'
Original post by Paracosm
Please cease your accusations, they’re not needed and it’s just rude. There’s nothing against asking a question, thanks for your interpretation, let’s keep accusations out of this.

Cheers.

Thank you :smile:
This comes from I think Jewish teachings (correct me if I'm wrong) but Jesus disagreed with it and said "Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also". So according to Jesus, it's wrong. :h:

said by Gandhi, the peace activist who used to beat his wife. Who's going to listen to a word that ****ing hypocrite had to say?!
Original post by yungaheartz
said by Gandhi, the peace activist who used to beat his wife. Who's going to listen to a word that ****ing hypocrite had to say?!

they were peaceful beatings im sure

Quick Reply

Latest