The Student Room Group

Sports direct refund policy?!

So I brought three jumpers from sports direct, and I was on the phone at the till because it was important the it was just a teenager behind the till anyway so I doubt the would have wanted to talk. Three days later, two of the jumpers were sized wrong (I know I am a size 10, and the size ten didn't fit) so I came back in and they wouldn't give me my money back.
They said it was displayed on the back of the receipt, till point, front door but that's illegal - you should be able to get a refund. I left with my two jumpers after arguing with two till people.
What should I do? I don't want a credit note or whatever they offered me.
Reply 1
Original post by CheeseCakeOhHAHA
So I brought three jumpers from sports direct, and I was on the phone at the till because it was important the it was just a teenager behind the till anyway so I doubt the would have wanted to talk. Three days later, two of the jumpers were sized wrong (I know I am a size 10, and the size ten didn't fit) so I came back in and they wouldn't give me my money back.
They said it was displayed on the back of the receipt, till point, front door but that's illegal - you should be able to get a refund. I left with my two jumpers after arguing with two till people.

Take the credit, it's your own fault.
Everyone knows sizes are different everywhere, that's why SD usually have fitting rooms.
It's a known policy they only issue credit. It's not illegal since it was fit for purpose, you just changed your mind. Just buy something else or exchange it.

*edit; not sure why it matters you were on your phone at the till, though it does show you also lack basic manners.
(edited 7 years ago)

Firstly, I find it really quite disrespectful that you would label the person behind the till as a teenager that wouldn't have wanted to talk. Also, it's very rude of you to be talking on the phone while you are being served.

Secondly, it's not illegal, and it's the company policy. By law, if you physically saw the item when you bought it (which you obviously did) the retailer is not obliged to give you a refund if you only want to change it because you didn't like it, or if its the wrong colour or wrong size.

The only options you have is to keep the jumpers, take the credit note (which lasts 2 years anyway, surely there's something else you will buy in the store?) or exchange it for something else in the store.
(edited 7 years ago)

As someone who works at sports direct I would like you to consider the following;
- This person is most likely young, their first job, and they're only doing it to earn some money to help themselves and not to rely on every else.
- Also, it is quite disrespectful to be on the phone at the till, but sometimes we understand it might be important and we don't interrupt. However, if you wanted to ask questions that might be important, i'm sure you could have paused the phone call to ask the refund policy. Or, read it on all the till points. or on the back of the receipt.
- You then also went and argued with these people you called "teenagers". You argued with someone younger than you to get your way.
- Everyone I work with, and I mean everyone, is willing to talk to you if you so much as start speaking to us. We all love hearing about our customers, their hobbies, holidays and so on. You can't say they didn't want to talk because they were respecting you on the phone.

Also, I hope you realise that whenever someone yells at an employee where we work to bar them from the shop for unreasonable behaviour. And, that employee quite often cries and goes home incredibly upset and down and the thought that you did that and think you're in the right because you know "the law" really does get to me.

It's not illegal, if it was the store wouldn't be allowed to open.
It's not against your statutory rights before you use that line.
It's not against consumer rights either.

THE LAW STATES a company must either offer a full refund, or two suitable alternatives which can be in the form of an exchange and a credit note/gift card. It's not against the law.

Just go back if you are not barred from the shop already, apologise refusely to the manager, find the girl who served you the second time around and apologise for your erratic behaviour, write an apology card - you let these girls/boys go home incredibly upset because you were yelling false information at them - and get a credit note. You'll eventually want to buy something there and then you're sorted.
Reply 4
The old phrase the customer is always right certainly got binned a long time ago. How do you know the customer was being disrespectful? What if it was something important.. people can multitask. The only reason I use sports direct is because of the price. If there was another store to compete with them and they offered refunds i would switch but being on a low income I'm forced to use sports direct. CEX are exactly the same. Once you've handed your money over you will not get it back, even if you're still in the store.. Dreadful companies that take advantage of people on low incomes who don't know there rights.
Original post by Anonymous
As someone who works at sports direct I would like you to consider the following;
- This person is most likely young, their first job, and they're only doing it to earn some money to help themselves and not to rely on every else.
- Also, it is quite disrespectful to be on the phone at the till, but sometimes we understand it might be important and we don't interrupt. However, if you wanted to ask questions that might be important, i'm sure you could have paused the phone call to ask the refund policy. Or, read it on all the till points. or on the back of the receipt.
- You then also went and argued with these people you called "teenagers". You argued with someone younger than you to get your way.
- Everyone I work with, and I mean everyone, is willing to talk to you if you so much as start speaking to us. We all love hearing about our customers, their hobbies, holidays and so on. You can't say they didn't want to talk because they were respecting you on the phone.

Also, I hope you realise that whenever someone yells at an employee where we work to bar them from the shop for unreasonable behaviour. And, that employee quite often cries and goes home incredibly upset and down and the thought that you did that and think you're in the right because you know "the law" really does get to me.

THE LAW STATES a company must either offer a full refund, or two suitable alternatives which can be in the form of an exchange and a credit note/gift card. It's not against the law.

Just go back if you are not barred from the shop already, apologise refusely to the manager, find the girl who served you the second time around and apologise for your erratic behaviour, write an apology card - you let these girls/boys go home incredibly upset because you were yelling false information at them - and get a credit note. You'll eventually want to buy something there and then you're sorted.

Good post!

You have no right to a refund as far as I can see. You had an opportunity to inspect the goods pre-sale, and presumably also had the opportunity to try them on to ensure they fitted. You could only return them for a refund for defects or being 'not fit for purpose' - here you could argue that incorrect sizing renders the goods 'not fit' but you then have to get over the hurdle of not taking the opportunity to try them on, and that it's commonplace for sizing to be non-standard in UK clothing and it was thus incumbent on you to ensure that the 'size 10' you bought fitted properly rather than just to blindly trust the label.

Shouting/arguing with staff because you didn't get your own way is unacceptable.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
You have no right to a refund as far as I can see. You had an opportunity to inspect the goods pre-sale, and presumably also had the opportunity to try them on to ensure they fitted. You could only return them for a refund for defects or being 'not fit for purpose' - here you could argue that incorrect sizing renders the goods 'not fit' but you then have to get over the hurdle of not taking the opportunity to try them on, and that it's commonplace for sizing to be non-standard in UK clothing and it was thus incumbent on you to ensure that the 'size 10' you bought fitted properly rather than just to blindly trust the label.

Shouting/arguing with staff because you didn't get your own way is unacceptable.

OP hasn't been back to TSR in over a year - I don't think they'll see this :tongue:
Original post by IWMTom
OP hasn't been back to TSR in over a year - I don't think they'll see this :tongue:

:facepalm:

I *never do this - usually because I'm too busy taking the piss out of other people for doing it...
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
:facepalm:

I *never do this - usually because I'm too busy taking the piss out of other people for doing it...

Hehe, simple mistake!
Reply 10
In case anyone else stumbles on this and wonders what SD's return policy is, Sports Direct won't ever give you a refund. They give you the choice of an exchange (if it's a clothing item), or they give you credit for a limited number of products. Shoes and socks have a strict no-exchange or refund whatsoever policy, however. When I had my first shift last week, someone started shouting at me because I wouldn't give them a refund (I'm only 17). It sucks tbh :frown:
Its not illegal.sports direct wouldn't still be here if it was illegal .they aren't taking your money you basicaly spent it there the first time.also maybe if you ran a buisnes you would understand why this policy exists
Original post by Anonymous

Preach!!! That is so true
It's still highly questionable that that refunds aren't issued, I've never come across it before and the very least customers should be verbally warned when purchasing as this is highly unusual business practice.I just returned some ill-fitting (they're the right size but a very strange, uncomfortable shape) trainers and left with a voucher printed on some receipt paper, I feel like I've been completely turned over.
Reply 14
Original post by Roryattwell
It's still highly questionable that that refunds aren't issued, I've never come across it before and the very least customers should be verbally warned when purchasing as this is highly unusual business practice.I just returned some ill-fitting (they're the right size but a very strange, uncomfortable shape) trainers and left with a voucher printed on some receipt paper, I feel like I've been completely turned over.

Refunds are a privilege, not a right. This thread is rather old - don't bump old threads.
Maybe you could buy something online with the credit note and then get a refund there
It's ridiculous, every other shop gives refunds. Get a credit note/exchange and buy something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending