The Student Room Group

Potentially going to uni at 24, too old or wrong choice?

Hi,

I was just wondering if 24 is too old to do the whole university thing properly, I did originally go to university straight from sixth form back in 2011 but only stayed two weeks before quitting, I think I was too young and too inexperienced with life at that point to really know what I wanted to achieve.

I am currently working full time at an engineering firm where the work is often hard and dirty and I don't particularly enjoy it, the only problem is I am not sure which degree to choose and if my grades that I gained back then are even valid anymore I think on the new system it works out that I have 96 points.

I studied business and sports and I know my interests definitely are within sports and that kind of thing. My dream job would be to work within sports or as a PE teacher but I know that is very competitive.

I am unsure which path to take but I know at this point I feel a little bit down and miserable with my current prospects. Every job I have ever had I can't seem to settle within it :frown:
You are allowed to apply to university up until you are 60 years old, so no you're not too old. Perhaps seek some careers advice, they would be able to advise you best about courses and whether your grades are still valid/ good enough.
Yeh you're fine, I'm 31 and just finished my first year :smile: .
Original post by Cubone-r
You are allowed to apply to university up until you are 60 years old, so no you're not too old. Perhaps seek some careers advice, they would be able to advise you best about courses and whether your grades are still valid/ good enough.

There is no age limit on applying to university, although there are limits on student loans after 60.

Imo, 24 is definitely not too old to enjoy the social aspects of uni. Nobody's going to think you're weird or creepy for partying with everyone else. Most people probably won't even realise that you are older unless you mention it, and you will find there are plenty of other students in their mid twenties anyway.

If you choose to study Sports Science, or something in that line, I would suggest that you look for a university that offers the opportunity to do professional coaching qualifications alongside your degree. It's also worth enquiring about links with local sports clubs and/or schools for summer internships, as these opportunities will boost your employment potential.
Original post by Tim00
I was just wondering if 24 is too old to do the whole university thing properly.

No.
Reply 5
It's fine

Actually it makes uni better

Could you imagine if everyone at uni was 18 years old ? It would be hell.
I'm going to be 19 or 20 when I begin but that shouldn't matter. 18 and 24 year olds can be friends and have a lot of things to talk about. You're not a grandmother.
Reply 7
33 here and starting in September 😊. Even have a few grey hairs 😳🤣. So if I'm not too old, you will be fine.

I would suggest you do a degree you enjoy above all else. Having a degree in anything is a must to go into teaching, but also there are graduate schemes you can join to do other things. The important part is enjoying it so you will do as well as you are able. You can figure out the finer points of what you will do for the rest of your life as you go. That's half the fun.

Good luck. And enjoy.

X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
You're definitely not too old to study or to enjoy the social side. There will be plenty of students in their early 20's or older.
Ponder this:

What would your future look like if you didn't go to university?

What would your future look like if you did go to university?

For both, what would you do? What could you do? What options for work/work progress would potentially be available?

Also, don't concern yourself about being to old or "what society thinks"; it only matters if you allow it to bother you.

If you want to do it, don't make excuses and just got for it.
Not at all, I started uni at 23 last year and I was scared moving to a new town and halls but I wasn't the oldest living there, there was a 27 year old. It does seem a bit scary leaving a full time job to go to uni but I keep thinking about the amount I am getting out of the experience. It gives you time to volunteer, join clubs and study something you love before joining the workforce again a more experienced person. There are loads of people older than me on my course so you won't be the only mature student.
At 18 I was very shy and unsure of my path so I went to a local college to do a course before working full time for 3 years and realising I could not really progress without further qualifications. Any questions or anything let me know
Reply 11
Original post by Wampstax
33 here and starting in September 😊. Even have a few grey hairs 😳🤣. So if I'm not too old, you will be fine.

I would suggest you do a degree you enjoy above all else. Having a degree in anything is a must to go into teaching, but also there are graduate schemes you can join to do other things. The important part is enjoying it so you will do as well as you are able. You can figure out the finer points of what you will do for the rest of your life as you go. That's half the fun.

Good luck. And enjoy.

X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, could I ask you how you decided on a course for certain and what you did previously before returning to univeristiy?
You're fine it's not like you're 45.
At my uni and my college there was 30-40 year old students and plenty in their twenties.
Original post by Danny the Geezer
You're fine it's not like you're 45.

Is that the threshold? :smile:
Original post by BigYoSpeck
Is that the threshold? :smile:

Yes :smile:
Original post by Tim00
Hey, could I ask you how you decided on a course for certain and what you did previously before returning to univeristiy?

I have spent nearly 15 years in customer service. Over the phone and in person.

I did my a-levels in maths, physics and chemistry straight from high school but family circumstances prevented me from going to university. I always planned to go later, when life let me. Then I met my husband and worked while he finished his degree. Then a wedding....baby....house....time kept ticking.

I was not satisfied with my job being my job until retirement. I liked it and was relatively good at it but it was a job I did, not a career I chose.

My husband sat down with me and we looked at what I liked and what I wanted to be when I grew up 😂. What did I want to say I did when someone asked me in 10 years. I want to say I'm a teacher. I see the value in it. I see the difference I can make. I see the hard work too, and the long hours and the under appreciation that comes along side it and it doesn't put me off. I may not inspire the next PM or Nobel prize winner, giving a kid confidence enough to stand in front of their peers will be enough. But I think it's something I could see myself retiring from. So here I go.

Hope my babbling makes sense x
Nah man never too to get educated! I know a woman around 50 going to university so why can't you?
Reply 18
Mature students usually feel more confident than students just leaving school due to more life experience.

However, you may feel intimidated by the fresh knowledge of younger students. You may also feel worried about making friends too.

But don't let that put you off!! I met a student who is 10 years older than me and we get on really well. You just have to put more effort into juggling round more of these burdens. Although younger students will feel the same stress living away from home for the first time, and you probably have already experienced that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending