The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Foundation year medicine - Liverpool 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Antonylav
It's no problem at all.
I didn't have to provide an academic reference. I provided one from work instead. The interview did throw me a little i really thought I had messed it up. I spent a lot of time on my personal statement. like months ! That's about it really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well done to you and e.one that got an offer! You mentioned that the interview threw you a little..Where there any surprise/trick questions? did you attend any formal interview training?

Thanks for taking your time to post!
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Thanks! 😊

The interview was nice, not too stressful. Nothing threw me really. Dress code is what you would expect of a doctor really. I didn't do any formal interview training.

No trick questions.

Any more questions just ask?
Hey.
I got a little thrown by the interview as they didn't ask "why medicine ?" Which I really expected.
They asked me what I knew about the course.
I didn't even know you could have training for interviews haha
It was a nice relaxed interview and wore smart/casual attire.
Anything else feel free to ask :-).

Posted from TSR Mobile
There were no trick questions but I can't really say what the questions were as it's unfair on other applicants, sorry!
Original post by SophieG101
There were no trick questions but I can't really say what the questions were as it's unfair on other applicants, sorry!

Ah good point! Maybe I've said too much 🤐they will change the questions every year anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have emailed admissions about this course about my qualifications and situation but haven't really gotten a straight answer. I am 19 but will be 21 at the start of the course with A-levels but with quite a lot of health/NHS experience under my belt. I am really passionate about medicine and am quickly running put of options... Would I still be eligible for the year 0 course?
Original post by NatsP29
I have emailed admissions about this course about my qualifications and situation but haven't really gotten a straight answer. I am 19 but will be 21 at the start of the course with A-levels but with quite a lot of health/NHS experience under my belt. I am really passionate about medicine and am quickly running put of options... Would I still be eligible for the year 0 course?

Have you tried calling Carmel college and speaking to Carmen? She knows the course better than anyone. Generally they don't take people who have studied recently which it sounds like you have. They also don't take people who have biology or chemistry a level. Hope that helps
Original post by Amberooney
Have you tried calling Carmel college and speaking to Carmen? She knows the course better than anyone. Generally they don't take people who have studied recently which it sounds like you have. They also don't take people who have biology or chemistry a level. Hope that helps

They don't take bio and chem A levels surely that's wrong it's a med application staple
Original post by vickie89uk
They don't take bio and chem A levels surely that's wrong it's a med application staple

This is medicine/dentistry/veterinary with a foundation year. The foundation year teaches biology and chemistry so no need to have the A Level.

If you want to apply I'd recommend reading the entry requirements which are readily available online and also contacting Carmel College to discuss your application. They may consider you if you studied those A levels a long time ago.
This is medicine/dentistry/veterinary with a foundation year. The foundation year teaches biology and chemistry so no need to have the A Level.

If you want to apply I'd recommend reading the entry requirements which are readily available online and also contacting Carmel College to discuss your application. They may consider you if you studied those A levels a long time ago.

Ok so my sister is looking at Liverpool but has not done A levels yet Are you saying you don't need any A levels at all. We are trying to scope the best options and look at the general trend of academic requirements before she goes any further.

Thanks
Ok so my sister is looking at Liverpool but has not done A levels yet Are you saying you don't need any A levels at all. We are trying to scope the best options and look at the general trend of academic requirements before she goes any further.

Thanks

If she is a school leaver they won't consider her for this course. You don't need A Levels for this although some people may have A Levels or degree. All the entry requirements can be found at the link below.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation-to-health-studies-year-0/entry-requirements/

For standard entry medicine then biology and chemistry a levels are essential.
If she is a school leaver they won't consider her for this course. You don't need A Levels for this although some people may have A Levels or degree. All the entry requirements can be found at the link below.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation-to-health-studies-year-0/entry-requirements/

For standard entry medicine then biology and chemistry a levels are essential.

Thank you she is 25
She took her IGCSES in maths and sciences (self taught due to local college not offering higher tiers or any sciences) and English language

I assume she still has to sit the UKCAT
Thank you she is 25
She took her IGCSES in maths and sciences (self taught due to local college not offering higher tiers or any sciences) and English language

I assume she still has to sit the UKCAT

No, unless it's changed. You just need 5 B grade GCSEs including maths English science and a good personal statement/reference. Then just got to get through the interview. The foundation year is designed to thoroughly prepare you for joining the other students in year 1.
It says 5 C grades on the website will she finish that year and automatically transfer onto medical degree for the further 5 years?! So even though she did her GCSEs and IGCSES this year but self taught with distance learning centre she might still be considered as technically wasn't in education... thank you
No, unless it's changed. You just need 5 B grade GCSEs including maths English science and a good personal statement/reference. Then just got to get through the interview. The foundation year is designed to thoroughly prepare you for joining the other students in year 1.
It says 5 C grades on the website will she finish that year and automatically transfer onto medical degree for the further 5 years?! So even though she did her GCSEs and IGCSES this year but self taught with distance learning centre she might still be considered as technically wasn't in education... thank you

For medicine it is 5 B grades. The allied health professionals go to a different college and need 5 C grades. As long as she passes the foundation year then she will join the first year medicine students like if she had applied the standard route automatically. Best person to speak to about eligibility or any other questions is Carmen Nunez at Carmel college. There were people who had recently done GCSEs or iGCSEs in my class.
For medicine it is 5 B grades. The allied health professionals go to a different college and need 5 C grades. As long as she passes the foundation year then she will join the first year medicine students like if she had applied the standard route automatically. Best person to speak to about eligibility or any other questions is Carmen Nunez at Carmel college. There were people who had recently done GCSEs or iGCSEs in my class.

Can you give me contact details if possible to pass on... thank you

I've got it now
(edited 6 years ago)
Can you give me contact details if possible to pass on... thank you

I've got it now

http://www.carmel.ac.uk/contact-us

The degree email address on that page goes to the people you need. They are probably on summer holiday now as it's a 6th form college.
http://www.carmel.ac.uk/contact-us

The degree email address on that page goes to the people you need. They are probably on summer holiday now as it's a 6th form college.

So she wouldn't be able to get student accommodation as she lives in London... thanks
So she wouldn't be able to get student accommodation as she lives in London... thanks

Student accommodation is available for students enrolled at Carmel College undertaking a Foundation year degree (year 0). The course is in partnership with the University of Liverpool :smile:

She can live on student accommodation if she wants. You are treated like a university of Liverpool student even in foundation year and can get a student loan for that year as well. It's just like doing a 6 year uni course but the first is ran at a different campus. The foundation course will only get her into Liverpool medical school anyway so if she wants to stay in London it's not the right course for her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending