The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zayn008
First time ive agreed with one of your posts :wink:

Okay, so a maximum security prisoner costs about 50,000(1) pounds per year. Let's say a thirty year old commits one count of murder, without using a firearm, and for personal gain. In the UK, this would currently mean a starting point sentence of 30 years(2). Therefore, we'll say our prisoner serves a full 30 years. This means that the prisoner will cost 1.5 million pounds over their sentence. The lethal injection costs around 1.3 million dollars, or just about 1 million pounds(3). In 2010, death row inmates served an average of 15 years before their deaths(4). Let's assume that a death row prisoner costs the same amount per year as a maximum security one. This means that their prison sentence cost is 750,000 pounds. When added to the cost of lethal injection, an incarceration of capital punishment is 250,000 pounds more expensive than a sentence for murder.

As well as this, court cases for the death penalty cost far more. This is because nothing can be overlooked, due to the fact that a mistake should never be made with a punishment so serious.

As well as this, a long sentence is, in my personal opinion, a more serious punishment. I'd much rather die after 20 years in prison, rather than have to serve 30, or possibly more. After so long in prison, you'd be likely to become very mentally disturbed. Yes, the idea of your execution hangs right over your head, but at least the sentence is then over more quickly.

(1) http://www.golocalprov.com/news/maximum-security-prisoners-cost-rhode-island-200k-each-per-year
(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment_in_England_and_Wales
(3) https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
(4) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_row
Reply 61
Original post by thefauxtrump
Okay, so a maximum security prisoner costs about 50,000(1) pounds per year. Let's say a thirty year old commits one count of murder, without using a firearm, and for personal gain. In the UK, this would currently mean a starting point sentence of 30 years(2). Therefore, we'll say our prisoner serves a full 30 years. This means that the prisoner will cost 1.5 million pounds over their sentence. The lethal injection costs around 1.3 million dollars, or just about 1 million pounds(3). In 2010, death row inmates served an average of 15 years before their deaths(4). Let's assume that a death row prisoner costs the same amount per year as a maximum security one. This means that their prison sentence cost is 750,000 pounds. When added to the cost of lethal injection, an incarceration of capital punishment is 250,000 pounds more expensive than a sentence for murder.

As well as this, court cases for the death penalty cost far more. This is because nothing can be overlooked, due to the fact that a mistake should never be made with a punishment so serious.

As well as this, a long sentence is, in my personal opinion, a more serious punishment. I'd much rather die after 20 years in prison, rather than have to serve 30, or possibly more. After so long in prison, you'd be likely to become very mentally disturbed. Yes, the idea of your execution hangs right over your head, but at least the sentence is then over more quickly.

(1) http://www.golocalprov.com/news/maximum-security-prisoners-cost-rhode-island-200k-each-per-year
(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment_in_England_and_Wales
(3) https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
(4) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_row

I’m actually against the death penalty now because of the data and when I saw the procedure I just thought it was cruel. Then again for terrorist plotters I don’t have much sympathy and they often radicalise others in prison, although I have heard some rehab success stories.

But I watched a show on the death penalty and I just thought it was wrong
In some cases though like Lee Rigby's murderers they want to die.
Terrorists, paedos, premeditated killers should be killed as humanely as possible.

Prisons should become a lot harsher (no mobiles, TVs or consoles) and should require more physical labour- we're meant to have a labour shortage in this country- put them to work!
Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin
They cannot be changed and if they are kept in prison, they'll just continue to cost the taxpayer even more money especially if they require any medical attention in the future. Capital punishment should be available to those who have committed murder with express malice aforethought, terrorism and treason.

What if it was your own son or daughter that had been radicalised? Would you be as unforgiving if that were the case?
Original post by applesforme
What if it was your own son or daughter that had been radicalised? Would you be as unforgiving if that were the case?

Then they would be no child of mine.
Original post by applesforme

Then they're no child of mine.
Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin
Then they're no child of mine.

You sound like a great guy. Maybe lay off the Game of Thrones for a while?
Original post by Cave Felem
Are you serious? Rapists often have to be kept on different wings because they get targeted by other inmates and beaten up... I can tell you've done your research.

Isn't that for child molesters?

Anyway, even if you are right, prisoners rape other prisoners (making them rapists) and are usually seen at the top of the hierarchy.

So yes I am serious.
Reply 69
I don’t think we should bring the death penalty back it’s simply too cruel and you would be hypocrite if they killed someone’s and therefore killed them and apparently it’s ok? So what? Should we all just go round killing people because apparently that’s what the police do now but that’s not counted as murder is it? Yes they done something terribly wrong but should we murder our own kind for justice on the victim? Let them rot in jail. Let them do hard labour. But kill them? Thats absurd.
Yes 100% we have so many degenerates that we all pay for,they certainly need to die.killers deserve it no doubt
i would have no problem if gibbets were brought back; they used to be placed at the edge of town to display the remains of bad guys.
Original post by TagridS
Anyway, I don't understand why people think death is the worst punishment. As I said above, I believe in giving people a chance to undo their wrongs, and they can spend their lives doing it. And if they decide not to, still it would be a life of misery in a prison, but death? it just ends, no opportunity to get better or worst. So why don't try? Because of the taxes? Come on, that's absurd.

It’s very easy to say. So you think a murderer should be given the chance to “undo his wrongs”?! What in the world makes you think anything he does will bring back the deceased? What sort of justice is that? Punishment should be proportionate to the crime committed shouldn’t it? So why are murderers let off so easily? 10 years inside watching TV is a punishment, really? For KILLING SOMEONE? I don’t think anyone would say this if they lost someone they genuinely cared for to homicide/murder. If you have even an iota of loyalty to the deceased you would demand justice until your last breath.
Reply 73
The death penalty has no place in a civilised country. It’s just about vengeance, and law shouldn’t be about that. It’s not a deterrent. It’s barbaric.
The death penalty is only for revenge, but it doesn't seem to be the ultimate revenge to me, nor the right thing to do. I can only see the benefit in the sense of cost, but even that has been disproven earlier on in the forum.

I believe the ultimate revenge is to live, knowing what you have done. Most people understand what they have done wrong, and those who don't have to live with their general insanity anyway, which must exist. It also means that you can never murder someone who is innocent. To look at it from a religious point of view, which many americans would (which is the country I am most familiar with which does do this), it is ridiculous to think this would be a good idea, for it is murder, and that is a sin. I cannot see how the death penalty truly works in a positive way for anybody.
I think we should, but only under particular circumstances and if there's overwhelming evidence. This is due to my outlook that if they're only going to die in jail, it's a waste of resources that can be better spent elsewhere.
No thanks. Violates the right to life. There are rights, life, Liberty and Property (or pursuit of happiness).
I completely agree with you 100%. The death penalty is just revenge, eye for an eye. Anyone would suffer more if they spend the rest of their lives in prison.
Original post by The RAR
The waves of crimes including cyber bullying and terrorism just doesn't stop, while we can find the perpetrators they are simply let off too easily for example recently in the Amanda Todd case the blackmailer wrote a letter saying he was "innocent" which made me very angry at how he doesn't have any remorse for Amanda's death and was only sentenced for 11 years in prison this year like is this a joke? The blackmailer deserves the death penalty because people like him just don't change.
If we bring back the death penalty crimes both physical and online will drop.
So what do you guys think?

It may sound cliche but I think that if you take a murders life, what’s to say you’re not as bad as them? Also, I think it’s better to just let them rot. Life sentences should mean life and not just 15-30 years

Latest

Trending

Trending