The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS MA Global Diplomacy - Experiences

Hi Everyone!

Has anyone completed one of SOAS's online degrees -> How is the teaching quality and interaction through their online platform?

What are your general thoughts about SOAS and their international relations faculty?

Are there alternatives you would consider to the MA Global Diplomacy at SOAS? (Through a quick google-search, I have come across the "IR& contemporary war" at KCL and "Diplomacy & IR" at Lancaster University)

Thanks in advance for your feedback and have a nice day :smile:
Alex

PS: To give a bit of information about me. I have done a bachelors in business administration and economics, worked for three years in the financial sector and am currently doing a masters in banking and finance. I would like to work in a position where finance and international relations meet in the short-medium term and in the long term, I would like to become a diplomate.

PPS: I am currently doing the SOAS coursera course "global diplomacy in the modern world" and quite enjoy it so far.
Reply 1
I'm going to SOAS this fall for the LLM program. In reading your post, I wondered if you have given any consideration (and perhaps you have already applied to SOAS and will be enrolling this fall 2017, too?) to the International Development programs at SOAS? Development studies is highly ranked, on a global scale (I think it was #7 globally this year).I think if you were to link your financial/banking background up with Development Studies (which could combine with International Relations, for example) that would be very powerful towards your future goals of working in the diplomatic arena, especially for the various big NGO's, from those who have diplomatic status at the World Bank, UN and UNDP, to working for actual diplomatic missions.

Original post by alex_48392
Hi Everyone!

Has anyone completed one of SOAS's online degrees -> How is the teaching quality and interaction through their online platform?

What are your general thoughts about SOAS and their international relations faculty?

Are there alternatives you would consider to the MA Global Diplomacy at SOAS? (Through a quick google-search, I have come across the "IR& contemporary war" at KCL and "Diplomacy & IR" at Lancaster University)

Thanks in advance for your feedback and have a nice day :smile:
Alex

PS: To give a bit of information about me. I have done a bachelors in business administration and economics, worked for three years in the financial sector and am currently doing a masters in banking and finance. I would like to work in a position where finance and international relations meet in the short-medium term and in the long term, I would like to become a diplomate.

PPS: I am currently doing the SOAS coursera course "global diplomacy in the modern world" and quite enjoy it so far.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Hello, I am an incoming Masters student of International Law at SOAS. I havent yet accepted my offer but I wanted to ask, do you any of you know when we can choose our modules - ie. over the summer ? and do you think there will still be availability on popular modules if we enroll on to them once the term starts?
Reply 3
Greetings Leila_M. I believe we will have the opportunity to select our modules during orientation week from everything I have been told. I am also a bit concerned about the availability of modules, especially, as you noted, those most popular. I wish I had seen your reply message sooner, I would have called SOAS today to ask this question directly(I'm in the U.S., so I have a 5hr time difference). I don't think, though, it is an issue of preregistration or anything like that, based upon accepting your offer by paying your deposit, etc.

It appears we will all be registered together during the orientation week of September 25, 2017. Have you already honed in some of the classes of interest to you? Have you already viewed and constructed the class schedules for SOAS' LLM Classes? I've posted the link below that will give you the year long schedule. For me, it appears I will have classes on Monday, Tuesday and Friday only. I am waiting to find out of there are tutorials for Postgraduate classes (I know there are for the undergraduate ones), and to also hoping to find out more about this year long, dissertation class, that counts double points. (Meaning, I guess we do NOT want to mess that one up, right? But a lot of classes appear to conflict with that one, so I am not really sure how that works.)

Here is the link for the classes:

https://www.soas.ac.uk/snorri1718/reporting/individual;programme+of+study;id;LAPG%0D%0A?days=1-7&weeks=2;3;4;5;6;8;9;10;11;12;16;17;18;19;20;22;23;24;25;26;31;32;&periods=1-16&template=programme+of+study+individual&height=100&week=100

Please feel free to send me a personal message if you want to correspond. I have been put in touch with a past LLM student by the SOAS alumni office, so if there are any other questions you have, maybe I can help. You said you had not yet accepted the offer at SOAS, are you weighing other offers? Do you anticipate that you will be coming to SOAS?

Original post by Leila_M
Hello, I am an incoming Masters student of International Law at SOAS. I havent yet accepted my offer but I wanted to ask, do you any of you know when we can choose our modules - ie. over the summer ? and do you think there will still be availability on popular modules if we enroll on to them once the term starts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending