The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mrlizard3
Hi, thanks for your reply!

From what you've said I think I'll really love the first module, I like Victorian texts as well as modern and postmodern so I'm looking forward to that. I'm quite happy with the reading list from what I've seen. Since you got to choose which texts you wrote your essays on do you also get to choose your own essay title/question? And for the exam can you choose which texts you answer on?

The second module seems like a bit of a nightmare haha. If you all had a chance to give feedback on it I hope they've taken it on board for this year! I must say I don't know much about the reading list for that semester but what you've said doesn't seem particularly appealing..

That said I've enjoyed studying drama and earlier works in the past, what was it about the drama module in comparative literature that you didn't like? I suppose I'd say that I'm not really a massive reader and tend to like a range of texts, it's the critical analysis of texts and their contexts that I particularly like. Though I'm going to try it's quite refreshing to hear that you don't necessarily need to read all the texts!

Also, If you don't mind another quick question, since you've changed what you're studying quite a bit I don't suppose you know whether you're able to change one of the subjects that your offer is in early on? I've been considering not doing Classical Studies and changing at the start of the year but I don't know whether that's an option?

It's a shame that literature at St Andrews wasn't for you, but are you enjoying what you're doing now?

It's not really a shame haha, I still love to read but just on my own terms and not on the terms of a fusty old professor that wants an essay response to 'what is Frankenstein about?' I prefer formalism when comes to analysing texts and some markers will absolutely tear your essay apart unless you consider paratexts etc which is a load of bull imo.

Essay questions are prescribed but you can make up your own title, like the question on Frankenstein was as above but my essay was titled 'Raising a Monster: The Domestic in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein'. So you have a lot of scope to play with usually. In each semester you'll have two essays, the first is due after 4 weeks I think and is a close reading of an assigned extract from one of the first three texts you have studied, then your 2nd essay which is due in another 4 weeks is a more general question on one of the next three texts that were taught. (I have examples of this years ones if you'd like to have a gander?) In the exam you can't write on any of the books you've written essays on, and the first section is a close reading essay (of your choosing) of the last 5 texts taught (the passages are printed in the exam for you) and then the second part is a choice from 5 (1st sem) or 10 (2nd sem) essay questions which are really broad and usually just name themes. However in the 2nd essay you must discuss two of the texts. (I hope that made sense? lol)

My issue with Comp Lit was that each week was incredibly formulaic (Monday = Context/Author's Biography Tuesday/Thursday= the same stuff each week about what makes plays 'political'. I had a friend that did quite enjoy the class but the teaching lacked focus on any formal aspects of the texts which drove me up the wall ((I did Adv Higher English and we did Tennessee Williams so I was used to writing about staging/lighting/costume etc, while most of the class was just theorising on how theatre is political. Despite this tutors would often go on about how you need to discuss formal aspects of the texts but nobody was teaching with that slant so it was like ???)) Also your tutor isn't the person who marks your essays, and I've had two essays back marked by a mystery person which were both appallingly marked. ((For example, in my intro I wrote the themes I was gonna discuss and there was a comment next to it asking if these were gonna be discussed lmao.))I will say that you can substitute this module for 2nd sem English, so if you reallyyyyy wanna avoid the Restoration to Romanticism module (English marking is consistently good and it's your tutor that does it so you can discuss with them more easily) you are able to but tbh I liked that more than Staging the Political. However, considering your interest in contexts etc it could prove precisely the opposite to you haha.

You can definitely drop one of the subjects you got in for in your first week (I know loads of people that did this), however when I dropped Modern History 2nd sem it caused a bit of a kerfuffle and the Pro-Dean of the school had to approve it lol. ((Which is gonna make this year super awkward as I've decided I want my degree in Modern History and Middle East Studies after doing more research on World History and the Honours classes on offer(the 1st sem modern history module was basically: Rich White People 1450-1770 which ain't really my thing.))

St Andrews is a really great place and most of the classes are good in some aspect, like I hated Comp Lit 2nd sem but I still learnt about the political climate of the 20th century so it wasn't a complete waste lol.
(edited 6 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Mrlizard3
Thank you for your reply! Was it Classics or Classical Studies that you did? For a while I'd been considering trying to change from Classical Studies to history, I did Classical Civilisation at A Level and was a little concerned that it might feel repetitive..I studied the Odyssey and a great deal about its context last year and I've been told that that's a big part of the first module?
Also, what do you study now and what's your experience of that like in comparison? 🙂

I took classics and ancient history modules, if that's what you mean. My degree was technically history, but I intended to swap over to Ancient History and Archaeology. Didn't happen since I hated the classics department so much, stuck with history and I generally specialize in early modern English history now, with the odd venture into late modern (for my dissertation) and late antique (because mandatory modules). Overall I'm really happy with the History dept. versus classics, most of the professors are really good, everyone's been supportive and helpful in improving and learning, and the content is mostly interesting, and there's a lot of variety to appeal to everyone. I will say I got more firsts in classics than I do in history, but again, honours vs subhonours so not necessarily comparable.

We really didn't do much of the Odyssey when I was in first year, we did a lot of poetry instead (Ovid and some other guy whose name escapes me). THat was nearly four years ago though. It may be repetitive for you, but there are always new angles and things to learn, and it'll save you coursework time.
Just got my History offer changed to unconditional :biggrin: I hope there are other Historians here too.

Is it possible to take four modules in S1? I heard it's usually better to take three per semester, but I have to do 60 History credits (was planning on taking Ancient Greece, Origins of Europe, and Early Modern Western World) and wanted to take one Philosophy module as well.
Do I have to pay for accommodation right away when I accept the accommodation offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When do you hear about accommodation if St. A's is your insurance?
Did you already complete an accommodation application before June 30th?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LeFeuilly
Just got my History offer changed to unconditional :biggrin: I hope there are other Historians here too.

Is it possible to take four modules in S1? I heard it's usually better to take three per semester, but I have to do 60 History credits (was planning on taking Ancient Greece, Origins of Europe, and Early Modern Western World) and wanted to take one Philosophy module as well.

Congrats on your offer!

The comments below are based on my experience - I graduated last June, so things might have changed since...

I think it would be quite unusual to take 80 credits - it does happen occasionally later in the degree, but rarely in the very first semester.

Also you don't "have" to take 60 credits of history per semester. Indeed, you weren't allowed to take all three histories (modern/mediaeval/ancient) at once when I was an undergrad. The idea being that you spread out and try something else as well. Your adviser will help you decide in the first week, but I suspect you would have to drop one of the history modules to accommodate the philosophy one.
Original post by wolfmoon88
Did you already complete an accommodation application before June 30th?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep - months ago.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ispyjonnytriff
x

Thanks! :smile:

Yeah, that makes more sense - I think I misread the module requirements :s-smilie: They're probably asking for a minimum of 60 per year, haha.
Then you should be notified if you don't make your firm and your insurance accepts you. St As sends accommodations decision in waves after your offer turns unconditional. (I got mine yesterday)
Then you should be notified if you don't make your firm and your insurance accepts you. St As sends accommodations decision in waves after your offer turns unconditional. (I got mine yesterday)

Ah okay - thanks. Happy with your hall?
Not really tbh... didn't want single ensuite because it's more expensive... now I wish I asked for a roommate. I got DRA which I heard was lit but kinda far :/
x

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with your accomodation :/ I guess the only thing you can do is hope that it's better next year; apparently you can specifically say which hall you'd like to stay in?

This is really off-topic, but it's nice to see another IB applicant around :smile: Maybe it's because I haven't been on TSR much these past few months, but there doesn't seem to be many of us at St Andrews.

What are you going to study?
(edited 6 years ago)
Not really tbh... didn't want single ensuite because it's more expensive... now I wish I asked for a roommate. I got DRA which I heard was lit but kinda far :/

Oh shame, I wouldn't want ensuite either... Looks nice though. Nothing's that far away in St. Andrew's really, I remember people telling me things were a long walk which turned out to be 20 minutes away, and I walk slowly.
I'm sorry that you're unhappy with your accomodation :/ I guess the only thing you can do is hope that it's better next year; apparently you can specifically say which hall you'd like to stay in?

This is really off-topic, but it's nice to see another IB applicant around :smile: Maybe it's because I haven't been on TSR much these past few months, but there doesn't seem to be many of us at St Andrews.

What are you going to study?

Most of us who were on here moved to the messenger group chats so less chatter is on here. Don't know if you are already in the group chats :smile:

Honestly it's fine, just kinda miffed about paying a bit more :frown: on the bright side, lots of people around so loneliness won't be an issue and ensuite is nice :smile:

Nice to see another IB applicant too! I'll be studying sustainable development. Might choose History as my third subject for fun :tongue:
Heard Tesco was 15 mins away by walking... which ain't that bad until you think about how cold it may be during winters... (I live in tropical weather rn, gonna be a huge shift)
Most of us who were on here moved to the messenger group chats so less chatter is on here. Don't know if you are already in the group chats :smile:

Honestly it's fine, just kinda miffed about paying a bit more :frown: on the bright side, lots of people around so loneliness won't be an issue and ensuite is nice :smile:

Nice to see another IB applicant too! I'll be studying sustainable development. Might choose History as my third subject for fun :tongue:

Ayyyyy, perhaps I'll see you around in lectures then :P And no, I'm not in the group chats. Wouldn't mind joining :smile:
Ayyyyy, perhaps I'll see you around in lectures then :P And no, I'm not in the group chats. Wouldn't mind joining :smile:

Wait you got accom yet? and are you in the st as group on fb? (I can probs add you in or direct you to an admin who can add you in, mostly accom chats are more chatty rn, the Americans chat is lit as well, the Social, Subject and Hobbies chats are kinda quiet atm)

Yeah maybe will see you in lectures :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait you got accom yet? and are you in the st as group on fb? (I can probs add you in or direct you to an admin who can add you in, mostly accom chats are more chatty rn, the Americans chat is lit as well, the Social, Subject and Hobbies chats are kinda quiet atm)

Yeah maybe will see you in lectures :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah not yet - I'm still waiting on my firm to update track, so I haven't gotten any emails at all from St Andrews.

I am in the FB group, but I was never added to the chat lmao :P
deleted post
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending