The Student Room Group

Which Options should I take?

Hi! I am going to go Year 9 soon, and need to decide on my subjects. I only have 3 option subject places.

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I am going to go Year 9 soon, and need to decide on my subjects. I only have 3 option subject places.

Which of the available subject options are you good at, and/or you enjoy? Picking subjects that you already do well in and like is usually a good idea :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Which of the available subject options are you good at, and/or you enjoy? Picking subjects that you already do well in and like is usually a good idea :smile:

Thank you, but the issue is I am good at everything, and like everything too
What are the subjects that you have to choose between?
Thank you, but the issue is I am good at everything, and like everything too

tfw being good at everything is a problem
Original post by tl439
What are the subjects that you have to choose between?

One from:

Business Studies
Computing
Drama
DT
Food and Nutrition
Geography
History
Tutorial Support

One from:

Art
French
Geography
RE
Spanish
Textiles
Sociology

One from:

DT
History
Music
PE
Sociology
RE
Graphics
French
Business Studies
Tutorial Support

I personally prefer to have: Business Studies, Geography, and DT
One from:

Business Studies
Computing
Drama
DT
Food and Nutrition
Geography
History
Tutorial Support

One from:

Art
French
Geography
RE
Spanish
Textiles
Sociology

One from:

DT
History
Music
PE
Sociology
RE
Graphics
French
Business Studies
Tutorial Support

If you're good at everything, and you're concerned about what subjects would matter relating to your CV (even though it won't matter that much) then I would suggest that you choose:

- Computing
- Spanish/Geography/RE
- History/French

I would say do a language, as it is a highly sought after thing - getting a grade 8/9 in a language would be excellent. However, I'd suggest that you don't do more than one language, it'll get confusing (just from people I know who did two languages)... by all means go for two languages but only if you're really good at it

But then you say you'd like to do Business Studies, Geography and DT - that's a good mix between academic and practical, however all I'd say is is Business Studies a vocational course? As in do you get a btec out of it? There's nothing wrong with doing a btec, however, it could be quite limiting, especially since you say you're good at everything...

I'm a GCSE student myself so if you have any questions, I don't mind answering them! :smile:
Original post by tl439
If you're good at everything, and you're concerned about what subjects would matter relating to your CV (even though it won't matter that much) then I would suggest that you choose:

- Computing
- Spanish/Geography/RE
- History/French

I would say do a language, as it is a highly sought after thing - getting a grade 8/9 in a language would be excellent. However, I'd suggest that you don't do more than one language, it'll get confusing (just from people I know who did two languages)... by all means go for two languages but only if you're really good at it

But then you say you'd like to do Business Studies, Geography and DT - that's a good mix between academic and practical, however all I'd say is is Business Studies a vocational course? As in do you get a btec out of it? There's nothing wrong with doing a btec, however, it could be quite limiting, especially since you say you're good at everything...

I'm a GCSE student myself so if you have any questions, I don't mind answering them! :smile:

Thanks! But I like languages and am good at them, but for the career path I want to go through, they are not as necessary. It would be useful to let you know what I want to be! I want to be in the fields of science, so a Theoretical Physicist. Then again, being a Lawyer is a brilliant option considering that my dad is one too. But honestly, being an entrepreneur would be the best option because you create and research, and also get, if successful, tons of money - a combination of the learning by being a scientist, and the pay of a lawyer.
Original post by tl439

- Computing
- Spanish/Geography/RE
- History/French

No GCSE's are vocational. Business is just another GCSE like History or Maths...
Thanks! But I like languages and am good at them, but for the career path I want to go through, they are not as necessary. It would be useful to let you know what I want to be! I want to be in the fields of science, so a Theoretical Physicist. Then again, being a Lawyer is a brilliant option considering that my dad is one too. But honestly, being an entrepreneur would be the best option because you create and research, and also get, if successful, tons of money - a combination of the learning by being a scientist, and the pay of a lawyer.

It's worth letting you know that GCSE's really don't matter that much, it's the A Levels that have a little bit more of an impact, but even then the subject you do doesn't matter all that much either unless you're aiming for Oxbridge/specific subjects that require specific ALevels. But yeah GCSE options really don't matter when it comes to career path - your career choice might change as well, you have plenty of time.

I'd definitely recommend going for what you like and what you find relatively easy - when you're coming apply for jobs, you won't list all of your GCSE's anyway - they're just a stepping stone to get you onto the next qualification you want to do.

Hope that makes sense!:smile:
Choose the easiest subjects, focus mainly on the core subjects, like maths, science, english etc. Trust me you will not regret it, do your best in core subjects, because the likelihood of universities increasing gcse requirements in the future is pretty high. Even when you apply for A-level, the requirements mainly focus on the core subjects (but also specific subjects.. like art if thats the subject you want to choose at A-level etc) If you feel you can handle harder subjects with more content to learn thats absolutely fine, but keep in mind the 3 core subjects you should really try and prioritise those, the rest of the core subjects will be easier since the skills and knowledge in the 3 core subjects can be used in them.
If i could go back, i would have never chose geography, triple science, and history. Its not worth it in my opinion, but you are confident you can handle it, by all means, do so.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by scrunkie
It's worth letting you know that GCSE's really don't matter that much, it's the A Levels that have a little bit more of an impact, but even then the subject you do doesn't matter all that much either unless you're aiming for Oxbridge/specific subjects that require specific ALevels. But yeah GCSE options really don't matter when it comes to career path - your career choice might change as well, you have plenty of time.

I'd definitely recommend going for what you like and what you find relatively easy - when you're coming apply for jobs, you won't list all of your GCSE's anyway - they're just a stepping stone to get you onto the next qualification you want to do.

Hope that makes sense!:smile:

Agreed - your best bet is just having a good range of GCSE choices :smile:
What does DT in your third column mean? Food, textiles, woodwork, electronics, graphics?
Geography is a good pick! I might be biased though as I picked that for my GCSEs (going into year10 after summer :smile:)
Computing or business studies look goodness for your first column

Is RE not compulsory? It is at our school. :smile:

A language always helps but it isn't the end of the world if you don't.

Hope (some of) this helps!
Original post by scrunkie
No GCSE's are vocational. Business is just another GCSE like History or Maths...

True, but some schools do offer BTECs in certain subjects, such as PE, Business Studies and Childcare...
Original post by tl439
True, but some schools do offer BTECs in certain subjects, such as PE, Business Studies and Childcare...

I don't think my school offers BTECs
Original post by laurawatt
What does DT in your third column mean? Food, textiles, woodwork, electronics, graphics?
Geography is a good pick! I might be biased though as I picked that for my GCSEs (going into year10 after summer :smile:)

The PowerPoint I got just says DT
Original post by tl439
Agreed - your best bet is just having a good range of GCSE choices :smile:

But I only get three options, so best to have the best GCSEs for my later professional life.
Original post by laurawatt

This is the PowerPoint I got.
This is the PowerPoint I got.

One from:

Business Studies
Computing
Drama
DT
Food and Nutrition
Geography
History
Tutorial Support

One from:

Art
French
Geography
RE
Spanish
Textiles
Sociology

One from:

DT
History
Music
PE
Sociology
RE
Graphics
French
Business Studies
Tutorial Support

I did geography and DT (I don't know why I chose it).
Anyway, I assume you are doing triple science already? If not, definitely do that, especially if you want to do an A level science. Also, history is good for law if that would interest you.
Ultimately, just do the subjects you will get the best grades in, but if you are good at everything, I would recommend doing subjects where you need the GCSE to progress onto the A level (for example geography/history/languages/art etc) as this gives you more options. Business doesn't require the GCSE to progress on, so maybe isn't as good a choice.

Quick Reply

Latest